Air conditioning Fixed!

BigW

At last, Initially changed the evap temp sensor on the chance it was that, no different!

Read the codes off with Vagcom and that pointed to a dodgy flap motor, reset the motor but it was fubar, so new motor installed, still no change!

Had the aircon re-gassed, still no different!

Did a bit of fault finding and found that the compressor had somehow become uncoupled from the pulley and it was not turning.

Skoda quoted £613 for a compressor, managed to get a brand new one from e-bay for £200, spoke to a mate with a garage and had it installed and gassed for the price of a round of beers ;)

So end result, the aircon has not worked all summer, now its bloody cold outside and it works again :D ahh well, its fixed now i suppose :rofl:

Id make sure the old compressor wasnt seized, they usually jam up, bust the coupling and stop working. If this is the case if the a/c system wasnt flushed it wont be long until your new one does the same.

What do you mean flushed Ross? With 134a?

Just went out to the garage and took the old compressor to bits, The pulley seems to be coupled to the compressor via some sort of plastic friction media which is in turn on a spline on the main compressor shaft.

By the looks of it the plastic bit may well be a in built shear safety mechanism, when the compressor fails then the force of the aux belt is more than the overcomes the C Friction between the compressor and the pully and allows the pulley to spin independantly.

the shaft still spun fairly freely but independantly to the pulley so i'm not sure whats went on in there, maybe just jammed for a moment??

Wonder if you can get spare parts from denso :D

All my aircon system will be up for grabs soon. ;) compressor, rad, pipework. Just not sure whether it's worth removing anything from inside the dash or not - as it will be redundant anyway if directly AC related. I believe there's a refridgerant containing vessel in there somewhere?

i think what Ross means, is that when the compressor seizes it has usually run some time without lubrication ,(gas and oil in the system) therefore there will have been metal to metal contact within the compressor of the pistons inside , with resultant swarf , this swarf gets pumped around the system and will be still in there unless flushed or all the air-con components are replaced

seen it on a Ford Galaxy , expensive to fix , dismantled the compressor to have a look , f00ked would be an understatement

you can probably get a replacement clutch assembly for the compressor if this is the only part that has failed

you can probably get a replacement clutch assembly for the compressor if this is the only part that has failed

The fabia one is Clutchless but I see what he means about the flushing, Ta

Just not sure whether it's worth removing anything from inside the dash or not - as it will be redundant anyway if directly AC related. I believe there's a refridgerant containing vessel in there somewhere?

At the very least, the evaporator's inside the dash. Well, I say 'inside the dash' - as far as I can tell it pokes through the bulkhead into the dash, so I suppose you could argue it's in the engine bay too. Sort of... :confused:

At the very least, the evaporator's inside the dash. Well, I say 'inside the dash' - as far as I can tell it pokes through the bulkhead into the dash, so I suppose you could argue it's in the engine bay too. Sort of... :confused:

No idea. :rofl: But would be tempted to remove the radio / centre console to try and get to it. If it's just full of water I mgiht try and leave it in situ, but empty is out somehow - syphon perhaps?

No idea. :rofl: But would be tempted to remove the radio / centre console to try and get to it. If it's just full of water I mgiht try and leave it in situ, but empty is out somehow - syphon perhaps?

its not worth the trouble to remove it Jason , it doesn't weigh much as its alloy and is only filled with the aircon gas so doesn't need syphoning out