gbjedi

There have been hundreds of posting about power steering problems on the Fabia, but none of them seem exactly to match my problem.

I have no warning light, but the steering is only intermittently powered.

It seems, particularly, to fade as I brake.

I took it into Jewsons, Skoda dealers in Oxford, and they say I need a new pump, and it will cost £800, parts and labour. :eek:

Questions:

- Are there some other things I should try before replacing the pump?

- What have other people paid for a new pump?

Thank you!

well my problem was that power stering would not work first thing in the morning, few restarts and all was ok throughout the day. The problem was battery was on way out and there was not enough charge in the morning. Changed battery - all is ok. Your problem seems to be different though.

Petr

There is a company that recondition ECUs etc that refurbish these pumps - I think. They are "somewhere up North" and I've seen them trying to generate business on ebay at sensible prices. No doubt someone will flame me about mentioning ebay and refurbished expensive bits like this in the same sentence- I can take it honestly. A work collegue's wife's Fabia was a bit like this, local Skoda dealer checked it a few times as it failed intermittantly they finally diagnosed fault as definately the pump. He's not a car person so it got a new pump and he an empty wallet. Next time it happened, a few months later he was on holiday down in the borders region - calling into local garage - they suggested he contacted the local Skoda dealer. He went there - they diagnosed the sensor - car now okay and has been for a year or so. So were there two faults - or is this a familiar story? I think that there were two different pump/rack kits fitted, TRV and another one - was it only early Skodas that were fitted with the "other" one? Maybe you should check through or search on this subject and if you are not already "with us" pay up for "freedom" - might save you some money in the end. Good luck and be kind to your wallet! By the way this same "first" garage thought that u/s drop links were ARB - so they seemed to be working on "aquired knowledge" and not really checking the individual cars. Lucky in this case the guy went to a non-Skoda garage and only had to pay for a couple of drop links!

Go for a recon'd one, or one from a scrapped car as this kind of part is fairly generic amongst the PAS equipped cars, and you should be able to get one for under £100 and then it's just labour (and any garage should be able to swap them over really)

Hey,

Mine went at 58k. was between 700-800 fitted. aksed them to chnage the pas sensor first as this can apparently cause similer issuses.. but it wasn't the sensor so ended up paying for both..however, the pas sensor was revised with a stronger metal tip so i didn't completely loose out there.

labour isn't cheap because (according to malborough skoda) they have to take the front off the car to fit it.. not sure bout that..think the guy mighta been strectching the truth cuz whats the point in taking off the nose.. you can't remove the bulk head!!

Rob.

The latest on this is that I have found a breaker with a used pump, but they want to be sure it will fit, and so are asking me for the part number.

I don't want to dismantle the car just to find the number, and I cnnot find a dealer who is prepared to give the part number!

The part they are offering me comes from a 2003 Fabia, and mine is 2001 (DX51KXF).

Do I need to worry too much about the exact part?

Any other ideas?

The latest on this is that I have found a breaker with a used pump, but they want to be sure it will fit, and so are asking me for the part number.

I don't want to dismantle the car just to find the number, and I cnnot find a dealer who is prepared to give the part number!

The part they are offering me comes from a 2003 Fabia, and mine is 2001 (DX51KXF).

Do I need to worry too much about the exact part?

Any other ideas?

Try cars dismantled by skospares.com for all your skospares If they havent got what you need they are usually very helpful on what fits what & have listings of part numbers.

I have bought quite a bit off of them & never had a problem