Demisting on those cold mornings...

ethos

How do you guys do it?

I got in my car this morning (3*) and it took ageeeees for any of the windscreen to clear. This was when blowing air straight onto it.

I tried cold as I could for a few minutes... nothing then hot.

Drove 30 minutes to work and the rear quarters were still misty?!

Wassup with that!!

:thumbdwn:

Yea, aircon was on. There was nothing displayed in the right hand space and the temp was LO and just on the windscreen.

I've always thought my aircon never blew THAT cold even after a regass.

Could I have some water leaking into the car causing this or something as I've been messing around with the trim installing this new sound setup! I can't see any though...

my frosty windscreen took all of...30 seconds to clear this morning :D and plain didn't mist up

Fecking quickclear :D

I've been looking at one of these:

Car

but I don't think they are that cheap :(

Might be worth getting the a/c compressor checked to make sure the clutch hasn't come off as I know this used to happen on the MK I dervs.

The AC compressor doesn't run below a certain temperature though does it? I forget the exact temp.

Max heat, AC off and fan speed 4 (in the Fab) this morning, took a couple of minutes to clear enough. Temp was -1 at the time.

Steve

Yea, aircon was on. There was nothing displayed in the right hand space and the temp was LO and just on the windscreen.

I've always thought my aircon never blew THAT cold even after a regass.

Could I have some water leaking into the car causing this or something as I've been messing around with the trim installing this new sound setup! I can't see any though...

Temp should read 20,21,22 or hi whatever it is normaly set at. If if reads lo then you are blowing cold air onto the screen which wont help demisting.

Temp should read 20,21,22 or hi whatever it is normaly set at. If if reads lo then you are blowing cold air onto the screen which wont help demisting.

I always thought that blowing aircon cold air on the windscreen worked alot faster?

I don't have a demist button... i dont think :(

There's a front demist button on the Climatronic unit - that direct max heat and air at the front screen? Least there was on my Mk4 Golf and I was sure the Octy I had the same unit.

Steve

I always thought that blowing aircon cold air on the windscreen worked alot faster?

How would that work?! You need the maximum possible difference between the temp on the outside of the screen, and the temp within the car, for it to demist :)

Fecking quickclear :D

Car

Might be worth getting the a/c compressor checked to make sure the clutch hasn't come off as I know this used to happen on the MK I dervs.

quickclear has gotta be the best option ever :D

Yep, totally agree! It was mornings like this one that I miss my Focus :(

Why other manufacturers haven't developed a similar system is beyond me. Something actually useful, as opposed to auto wipers and lights etc ;)

Steve

"Demist" button is the one with an HRW symbol on it, top left o nthe Climatronic control panel.

Ethos, I agree, cold air shifts condensation faster than hot with a conventional heater.

Wardy, that's because the cold air doesn't get suddenly chilled below its dew point when it hits the cold windscreen, like hot air does.

Car

No, they're not :(

If you have access to an electric socket (e.g. if you park on your own driveway and can use an extension cable from your house) you can consider an electric parking heater with a socket inside your car and a heating fan. Much cheaper than the petrol/diesel versions.

See (for instance) Calix AB or DEFA WarmUp - Start page

I never scrape my windscreen in the morning...:)

I had same problem too this morning. There is a vent on the dash directly under the windscreen but no air through it. The aircon has three directions feet, body or circulate. I must be a bit dim so if someone can tell me what I am doing wrong it would really be appreciated. (Octy 02 1.8T 4x4)