Felicia problem ahead.

Hmmm... if its not running then you will not get any output there i think. As i said. The fuel pump (usually at least) is only allowed to run for a couple of seconds upon turning the ignition and when it feels ignition on the engine.

But you say it clics? No buzzing of the pump? Thats a bit wierd.

Try to measure like you wanted to. If not. Make two male plugs on a little wire and jump 30 and 87 on where the fuel relay is. If that doesnt work. Feel for 12v + in the hole marked 30. Its supposed to be 12v + i think at all times or at least with ignition on.

If you read no current there try running a wire directly from the battery + terminal and into 87. If the pump doesnt run then. Then its your pump that died on you (or wiring).

------

But if you could get the car to start and run for a while on starting gas then you will have identified the problem as being fuel related. Without playing around with the wires that much.

Fuel solenoid & pump work (There's even some petrol on the plugs when I've spun the engine!) The question is, is there ENOUGH fuel?

The pump ran for a few seconds & then stopped, I'm assuming this is because the system was re-pressurised and it's not a constant flow bypass system (I'll check Haynes).

The engine only ran for a couple of seconds - in fact, it just kicked & then died on "Gas" so there IS a possibility it's the immobiliser, that is if the fuel pump is supposed to keep running...

The immobiliser wasn't flagged by VAG com, that is if it would be flagged if there was a fault with it.

What are the odds against the coil blowing, the fuel filter blocking AND the immobiliser playing up all at the same time? :rofl:

Hey Ho! More news tomorrow :D

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm... if its not running then you will not get any output there i think. As i said. The fuel pump (usually at least) is only allowed to run for a couple of seconds upon turning the ignition and when it feels ignition on the engine.

But you say it clics? No buzzing of the pump? Thats a bit wierd.

Try to measure like you wanted to. If not. Make two male plugs on a little wire and jump 30 and 87 on where the fuel relay is. If that doesnt work. Feel for 12v + in the hole marked 30. Its supposed to be 12v + i think at all times or at least with ignition on.

If you read no current there try running a wire directly from the battery + terminal and into 87. If the pump doesnt run then. Then its your pump that died on you (or wiring).

------

But if you could get the car to start and run for a while on starting gas then you will have identified the problem as being fuel related. Without playing around with the wires that much.

Yes, it clicks, then it switches itself off again! There is power to fuse 4 for about 2 seconds after the ignition is switched on then it clicks again and power goes off :confused:

THANKS! You're a STAR! Mind you, bypassing the relay doesn't make the car run either. I'd have thought a squirt of starter-gas would make it run for longer than a second too...

So that would seem to point to the immobiliser again (which, if TT is right, I've by-passed). :confused::confused::confused: The immobiliser not only knocks out fuel pump & ignition, it also cuts power to the lambda sensor heater & the injector. The ECU actually controls how the injector & ignition components are earthed rather than powered.

I'll check whether the spark dies - spark plugs out - after a couple of seconds too. Definitive test!

The pump doesn't run when the relay is bypassed - wire between 30 & 87 - 30 is a constant live, 87 powers the fuel pump, the lambda sensor & the injector through fuse 4. The pump DIFINITELY ran after the car had been standing untouched for a few days (i.e. fuel system depressurised).

Something I did has blown fuse 4 :confused:

NOT immobiliser as the spark continues whilst the engine is being turned over (unless the immob is set to deactivate only after the starter motor is released :rolleyes:).

How the hell are home mechanics supposed to work on these things?

The spark isn't blue, it's white, though as previously noted, the car did fire from it!

So what did I do that blew fuse 4? And when? At least it's not blown again.

I'd have thought a squirt of starter-gas would make it run for longer than a second too...

You can make a car run on start gas. Have somebody help you turn the ignition and you just keep on spraying startgas. Not only a little squirt to start it. It wont run very nicely but enough to get things going.

That the fuse only gets power for two seconds sounds normal to me. But you should also read power on the fuse when the engine is turning (starting it).

But you said bypassing the relay doesnt "make the car run" either. But the real question is: does it make the fuelpump run? You should definitively hear the fuel pump buzzing when you jump 30 and 87.

You might also be dealing with a "dieing" fuelpump.

Not all of them go out in a bang.

But I am really suspicious about those fuel pump relays. That would be my best bet at this time.

If the function in the relay to feel for the engine running somehow has gone to hell that would match that the car kicks, and dies.

Because it will have fuel enough from the two seconds of fuel pump operation upon turning ignition, but then stopping because its not getting any more fuel after that.

But all in all it might also sound like your ignition somehow cuts out when it starts. Thats really wierd. I dont know about the immobilizer thing though. Never played around with cars with it installed. Sounds like a thing i would like to remove when i get my fun. Is there any way to "reset" the immobilzer?

Why would the immobilizer allow the car to kick once before killing it all?

Do you have constant spark while running the starter?

After reading you last post i might think you have a dead pump. I would try to go directly to the pump and give it 12v+ and a good earth. If it doesnt run then its dead.

Dont worry about the fuse. You have been playing around with 12v +.

It might also be because of the pump and if its died. It might do all kinds of funny things like short circuting or just simply taking to much power.

Spark continues when starter is turned (at least 10 seconds).

Fuse 4 blew when relay was bypassed (I might check that again as I have a spare fuse), so the fuel pump didn't run. If it does when the bypass is fitted (and the fuse doesn't blow) then I'll test the relay.

[Edit] I'll test the pump too :)

Fuel pump runs and the fuse didn't blow. Sod testing the relay, I'm taping it shut :lol: (Though why the ECU would tell the car to stop sending power to the pump, injector & Lambda sensor 2 seconds after the ign is turned on, I have no idea.)

It does activate again when the starter is turned, though as you say, if it's not firing up, it will shut it down again :confused: - oh yes, safety.

And having picked our brains constantly for weeks I guess you just silently sneak out of Briskoda now when your problems are sorted :rolleyes:

No, truthfully: Congrats :thumbup: Well done :thumbup: Not the least amazing is how you've managed to keep your spirits up - I would have chosen the TNT solution long ago...

With the comfort that your news brought I can happily log out and concentrate on Christmas holidays - wish you a good one.

And remember to change that avatar to one that befits a man with a proper vehicle running :D

I am wondering if this is a fuel problem.

Is your fuel system depressurised? Basically if your fuel pump relay is knackered then it will run for 30 seconds or so before no fuel coming through. I would have another look at this and check that your relay hasn't bust

ahem ahem!!!

No seriously it is great news that you have finally sorted your problem as i think i would have been totally hacked off by now!! This post will no doubt prove very useful for future reference with a similar problem

Merry christmas everyone (i am drunk can you tell he he):P

I would like to remind all who suggested the fuel relay - and yes you were all right - that there was no spark to start with AND the fuel pump did work to the best of my knowledge at the time ;)

Yuletide Blessings One and All x

Best news ive heard in days!

Good work Psyzygy! :):)

Glad to be of assistance!

Remember everybody the next time your at your local scrapheap pick yourself an extra fuelpump relay and keep within reach =)

Merry christmas to you all!

It's surprising what a difference having a working ects makes to the responsiveness.

It's also a wonderful feeling having Gimli pointing the right way on the drive too! :P

Off out again to get some beers :D