Power loss and hissing

My Felicia 1998 1.3MPi is experiencing power loss when the engine has load which is accompanied by a hissing sound. This cannot be reproduced when the car is in neutral.

I am assuming that it is a problem with the air intake system, but so far have not found anything to blame it on.

Any ideas?

It might also be the oil return breather pipes, the small pipe that runs from the engine top cover to the throttle body or the fuel pressure regulator vacuum hose. If any of these are loose or split, it will have the same effect as the other two suggestions.

It might also be the oil return breather pipes, the small pipe that runs from the engine top cover to the throttle body or the fuel pressure regulator vacuum hose. If any of these are loose or split, it will have the same effect as the other two suggestions.

you got the haynes manual then;)

Have replaced oil return breather pipe with genuine Skoda part (£1.35), after waiting 10 days for it. Not entirely confident that the jubilee clips holding it in are sufficiently tight as it is difficult to find small clips.

The old one was very stiff and missing its jubilee clip on the throttle side. When I extracted it there appeared to be a hole underneith where the clip would have been.

In the interim I used a bit of fuel hose, which was damp/oily on the engine end when I took it off today. FYI

However, I don't think that was the problem.

If the brake servo check valve were the issue, would not the brakes be stiff?

I know the answer ... EXACTLY the same happened to me .... HISSING UNDER LOAD ... and NO POWER.

Its the lining of your back box that has collapsed. The back box has a fiberglass lining (wear gloves it hurts you).

Mine collapased and blocked the exhaust (managed to fish it out with bent out coat hanger (helps if someone reves the engine at the same time) lol good times :rofl:

anyway if you menage to get it all out then a new back box is not necessary (and its sounds nicer too :D) or just be a little girl and give up and get a new back box (£30 off fleabay)

hope this helps ... im 99% sure this is your problem.

well. on the 1.6, the cat is part of the lower manifold.

the manofold goes 4 into 2, then 2 into 1 into cat.

so i got a second hand/scrap lower manifold an cat. i cut the section with the cat out, and welded in a peace of tube to replace it. easy if you have the kit.

omg i had the exact thing on my car. i had ery loud hissing as i was acclerating.one day i was puttin my foot down cause i got really annoyed an blew the welding seem on my back box clean open an did tht beast roar then lol got my speed back thn an needed to replace the back box.so mite be time to replace the exuast or at least the back box :D:D:D