Broke down the other day!

Has anyone else had this problem?

I left my car on the drive after driving the normal 25 mile back from work with no problems as usual. The next morning I came to start the car expecting the glow plug light to come on - but it didn't, all the other ignition lights were on as normal. I turned the key and the battery was turning the engine well but it just didn't want to fire at all. It was as though no diesel was getting to the engine. We tried to start it on easy start...it did fire but as soon as you stopped spraying it just conked out. :thumbdwn: Checked all the fuses etc but they were ok.

I have to be towed to Skoda main dealers. They couldn't pin point the fault and could only find a small communication fault when it was run through the computer. They said they spent about 2.5 hours trying to figure it out. They cleaned up some of the connections on the ECU etc and then they got the car started. In the end they only charged me for half an hours work which was good, :thumbup: (Simpsons Preston) but they said that this could be an indication that something is going to fail in the near future, or could simply be one of those things!

Seem a bit of a strange one to me and slightly worrying as who knows when this will happen again, maybe tonight!?

Anyone else had anything similar?

If glow plug light not coming on suggests that circuit. Probably relay (which could be fine when tested). Worth working through the line battery to plugs. Have you checked tightness of links on top of battery ? - again can test out without problem, but will laugh at you as soon as away from the garage. Can you hear the fuel pump prime when ignition switched on? If so that system is OK. If not start with common point (again probably relay).

Sorry if this sounds a little obvious, but I spent a year walking miles and spending a fortune on an Isuzu because the garage insisted that there was a fuel line fault letting air into the system. There wasn't. The problem was a relay which I'd expected at first but was then told that it was fine and working properly.

V

Easy start? What's that?

If it's the stuff I'm thinking of, it's in an aerosol can and is some kind of easily ignitable fluid (I think..)

I used to use that stuff all the time on small lawnmower engines, worked wonders... no idea how good it is for modern cars though.

http://www.hilarity100.com/uploads/sweden-galve-easystart.jpg

More problems!!:confused:

The car is running fine but the other day the glow plug light went out as usual and I fired her up, next thing is the glow plug light starts flashing all the time on a 20 minute journey. Later on that day I started the car again and the same thing happened. Yesterday the car did the same again but after 5 minutes the glow plug light decided to stop flashing and was absolutely fine. This morning the glow plug light goes out and it behaved it's self up until about 10 minutes of driving then started flashing again!!?? then went out another time for 5 minutes then on again for the rest of the journey. I'm confused, can anyone help?

I've read on other threads that it can be something to do with the brake lights not working properly or something, but they are working fine with or without the flashing glow plug warning light.

Any suggestions?

Cheers

• 1 year later...