Auto Lights in bright sunlight

Yesterday in very bright sunlight the auto lights refused to go off. The only thing I can think of is that the low, very bright, sun was shining from behind the car so that the light sensor, which I think is in the rain sensor area, was in shade.

I turned the auto lights off/on a few times using the switch but the lights kept coming back on.

Is my theory sensible or might there be a problem with the system? As always, I'd welcome comments.

I wonder if the light sensor looks for Infra Red light as the auto lights also come on consistenly when under bright artificial lighting (undergrounds car parks and petrol stations). But will go straight off under normal daylight as they should.

Mine have come on more when light has been diffused by heavy cloud during the day time or when the sky is clear and the sun is low and from the rear of the car.

Yep, sometimes I can drive out of my garage and around the corner hit bright light but the lights will stay on for some time afterwards. My regular drive then goes into some shady areas and then when pulling back into the sunlight they will go off. I'm not bothered as such - they are auto and them being on during the day isn't an issue.

mine are a bit poo liek this too. they didnt turn off unitl about 12:00 today even though it was bright sunshine all morning. theyre fine in the summer so it must be the low sun or theyre too sensitive. any way of changin them in vag-com?

Thanks for comments. It's not a problem just curious. Anyway, it's probably a good idea to have the lights on all the time as in Scandinavia.

• 9 months later...

So does anyone know if it's possible to change the sensitivity of the auto/tunnel lights, as i tend not to utilise this feature as it seems switch the lights on most of the freakin' time which is quite annoying, especially when I thought it'd be a great idea to have. Lucky it was standard and I didn't have to pay for it. If it's adjustable, that'd make me use it more..or at all!

• 3 weeks later...