Snow Chains for Octy Scout

Driving to the French Alps in the not too distant future and need to carry a set of snow chains as I believe it is a legal requirement in some Ski resorts. Anyway, started looking into it and there are LOADS of options. Some I have found state that manufacturers requirements should be followed due to clearance issues and putting my hand over the back of the rear wheel did surprise me as to how little there is.

I did do a search but could not find anything specific to the Scout so, anyone already have snow chains for their scout or 4x4 and can drop me a brand and chain type/size?

Thanks in advance.

Mark

what size of tyre does the scout come with?

225/50/17 and I was looking at some self tensioning ones, like the RUD Easy2Go. They seem best value and easy fit and operation. Skoda accessories do not appear to list chains for 17" wheels as yet, 15s and 16s are in there though.

Mark

I have the same dilema, and I am thinking to put back my 195/65 r 15 tyres and by the chains over in France because here in Ireland they are very expensive.

As far as I know they are compulsory during the winter for some roads time and if you are find without chains the fee is 180€ compare to 25€ the set (not to sure about them numbers)

Anyway there will be indicators on the roads where they are requaired.

Q:How about the winter tyres? Are this compulsory to?

The Rud Easy2Go are £64 delivered and self tensioning. Also appear VERY easy to fit so prepared to pay a little more than I would on the continent just to make sure I have a good set with me when I need them. Chains CAN be had for as littel as £30 a set here but uncoated so will possibly damage the wheels.....

Thanks for the replies though guys, seems not a lot of info available generally for the Scout.

Mark

Brindley Chains. brindley-chains.co.uk

Always very helpful, just bought my 4th or 5th set from them, different cars over the years.

They had no record for Scout, e-mailed Brenta in Austria, got back to me later the same day.

Had what I needed in stock arrived in 48 hours, £60 all in and delivered.

Always had Brenta C, stock code XMR75 for the Scout.

Haven't test fitted but not expecting problems.

Very happy with company over the years.

• 2 weeks later...

Ended up buying Autosocks after RUD (manufacturer) and several chain shops told me that this tyre size was out of bounds clearence-wise. Also, made easier as the French tourist board rpelied to my mail saying autosocks were now accepted as a viable alternative to chains.

The other regularly suggested alternative was to replace the wheels with 16s....

We will see how the 'socks cope with the French Alps in January.

Mark

I am now in Italy and I got a Michelin snow chains set from Auchan shop for 69 euro , until now it was not the case to use them. I replace the wheels with 195/65r15 for this trip.

Isn't the Scout 4 wheel drive and shouldn't that be ok with out chains?

It IS 4wd, but local bylaws in some ski resorts require you to demonstrate control of the car and if that is not possible without chains then the nice French police CAN make you abandon your car.

We spoke with the French tourist board and normally you have to have traction assistance with metal parts (i.e. snow chains) but they have recently relaxed teh guidelines so that if you cannot get chains to fit your car then Autosocks are now acceptable.

Mark

225/50/17 and I was looking at some self tensioning ones, like the RUD Easy2Go. They seem best value and easy fit and operation. Skoda accessories do not appear to list chains for 17" wheels as yet, 15s and 16s are in there though.

Mark

well, the mentioned tire dimension is not allowed with using snow chains by skoda...

if you really need snow chains you will have to change to 205/55/16 if you drive a

skoda scout 4x4 otherwise you can use 195/65/15. to be sure pls have a look at your

local skoda webpage...

you´ll may find infos here: http://www.skoda.de/download.php?id=100

mfg

sebalexs

Reckon chains will be fine on the Scout, not likely to be a wheel arch clearance issue.

Have found 4X4 Octys very good in the snow in the past. No problems going, the chains really help with the stopping. Don't like the ABS in the snow, one of conditions where it doesn't always give the best result IMO.

Reckon tyres are the key and the chains sort of compensate for not having winter tyres.

Doesn't really snow in the UK anymore! We keep hoping though, please please please!

:frosty:

• 1 year later...

Same topic basically. I am driving from Kent to Samoens in France. We need snow chains. I have found various places selling them and one place hiring them. I am most likely going to buy the Klack and Go because they are the best....

My question is: They come in pairs, do I need to buy two pairs for both front and rear or is just front good enough (I know my wife is going to say get two pairs), but is it really needed?

Mike

do I need to buy two pairs for both front and rear or is just front good enough

Nope. Just get the fronts. I used mine in the french alps over new year and in the snow here in sheffield a couple of weeks ago. I just got the cheapest RUD ones (£50). Dead easy and quick to fit once you've practiced a couple of times.