Adam K

well, today i bit the bullet and went and bought a kenwood dnx-7200 which is a double din head unit with built in garmin satnav, direct ipod control, divx support, usb stick/hard disk support, and plays dvd's too.

let me tell you that fitting all the cabling behind the dashboard was not an easy job, i had to cut away part of the plastic section that the head unit sits in so that all the cables could fit behind the unit. it involved taking the glovebox out, the centre console, and partially undoing the bottom section of the dash on the drivers side.

i have a lead now going into the glovebox that my ipod or usb drives connect to, and the gps aerial is now positioned on my dash.

it took 2 of us the best part of half a day to get it all installed. i still need to get hold of a small length of plastic that apparently skoda sell as the original head unit is slightly bigger than single din, so when you fit an aftermarket unit you need this bit of plastic to cover the hole.

i will take some pics tomorrow. i used the nav on the way home from my mates and it is really really good. it can also be updated with poi's and new maps via an sd card slot in the head unit.

this is where i got it from

Kenwood DNX 7200 DVD / NAVIGATION /DOUBLE DIN IPOD LEAD on eBay, also DVD VCD Players, DVD Players Monitors, In-Car Entertainment GPS, Cars, Parts Vehicles (end time 24-Dec-07 12:37:35 GMT)

looks a nice piece of kit - do you think all head units are this difficult to fit?

no, not all head units are this difficult to fit, this is hard because of the amount of cables that need to be hidden somewhere, and there isn't physically enough room without butchering some of the plastic behind the original head unit, and the fact that half the dash seems to need to come apart to get to where you want to be!

anyway, just taken some pics in the dark, uploading them in a sec.

You have just shown everyone where you live. so they can now come and nick your new piece of kit.

It's also not a good idea to have 'home' on your sat-nav, because if someone nicks your car when you are out shopping, they know where you live, and that you are shopping, so they can fill your stolen car with your telly and hi-fi.

Just a thought fella.

You have just shown everyone where you live. so they can now come and nick your new piece of kit.

It's also not a good idea to have 'home' on your sat-nav, because if someone nicks your car when you are out shopping, they know where you live, and that you are shopping, so they can fill your stolen car with your telly and hi-fi.

Just a thought fella.

lol, just edited out the nav pic :D

Looks nice that; but I'm with Len - what security is in place with it, when you're not in the car?

I'd certainly have something similar - if I could be confident everything would be as I left it when I'd left the car parked up....

Steve

My Fabia has the VW mfd unit, which looks similar, and hasn't been nicked ( yet )

If everyone thought like that, it would be a shame, having said that, if I caught anyone tampering with my car, they would be minus an appendage or two.

My Fabia has the VW mfd unit, which looks similar, and hasn't been nicked ( yet )

If everyone thought like that, it would be a shame, having said that, if I caught anyone tampering with my car, they would be minus an appendage or two.

But have you ever had your window put through and had your ICE stolen?

Too damned inconvenient for me I’m afraid :(

I agree Len, they can also do more damage to the car than the price of the ICE!

I do like it though, if only the bottom buttons were lit up green & i could still use my steering wheel buttons i might be tempted!

That is a very nice looking unit - what' the ipod navigation speed like on it? On my Kenwood it's rediculously slow...

it is a direct ipod connection from the usb port, so full speed, not like the old adapter boxes which had a bit of a delay.

just for anyone's information, you can get the 7029 model of this unit which doesn't include the nav for around £440. so a £200 saving if you don't want nav.

I opted for the nav model because i was gonna buy a tomtom at somepoint anyway. and also it is all built into the head unit, whereas if i had bought the 7029 and decided at a later point to have nav, then i would have had to put a hideaway box somewhere.

i still need to get hold of a small length of plastic that apparently skoda sell as the original head unit is slightly bigger than single din, so when you fit an aftermarket unit you need this bit of plastic to cover the hole.

That looks about the same gap as the Fabia facia adapter. Only £2 from main dealer. Try that first.

it is a direct ipod connection from the usb port, so full speed, not like the old adapter boxes which had a bit of a delay.

just for anyone's information, you can get the 7029 model of this unit which doesn't include the nav for around £440. so a £200 saving if you don't want nav.

I opted for the nav model because i was gonna buy a tomtom at somepoint anyway. and also it is all built into the head unit, whereas if i had bought the 7029 and decided at a later point to have nav, then i would have had to put a hideaway box somewhere.

Very good, I'd been looking at getting another Alpine because of the delay on my Kenwood but now I'm tempted by this... It really is the wrong time of year to go spending money like that but may have to buy myself a birthday present next month!

What's the navigation like compared to the Garmin/TomTom unit? Did you go for the TMC option?

Very good, I'd been looking at getting another Alpine because of the delay on my Kenwood but now I'm tempted by this... It really is the wrong time of year to go spending money like that but may have to buy myself a birthday present next month!

What's the navigation like compared to the Garmin/TomTom unit? Did you go for the TMC option?

it is a garmin unit, that is one of the reasons why i opted for the kenwood over anything else. it reads road names out like the new portable units, and it uses all the same maps, so you can download any extra ones, and you get updates as usual from the garmin website. this really is what swung it for me when making a decision.

just re reading this thread and a thought strikes me,what a sad world we live in when a hardworking person likes somthing like this but won't put one in his car for fear of some scumbag ripping it out.:mad:

Flog em thats what i say.

Will look great when you get that adapterpiece:thumbup:

In fact it looks great now.

just re reading this thread and a thought strikes me,what a sad world we live in when a hardworking person likes somthing like this but won't put one in his car for fear of some scumbag ripping it out.:mad:

Flog em thats what i say.

Will look great when you get that adapterpiece:thumbup:

In fact it looks great now.

Gary, when you have had one nicked, you will understand :mad:

had one nicked a few years ago on new years eve,wouldn't have been so bad if he'd just have nicked the cheap cd player,it was the damage done to the car on the way in and the stereo's way out,it wasn't a dig at you len,it was a dig at the state of society today:D

had one nicked a few years ago on new years eve,wouldn't have been so bad if he'd just have nicked the cheap cd player,it was the damage done to the car on the way in and the stereo's way out,it wasn't a dig at you len,it was a dig at the state of society today:D

:thumbup: