HeadUnit suggestion

i've got a symphony mp3 single DIN CD player unit which is linked to my steering wheel controls and the data appears on the maxidot

with new Rainbow speakers installed along with a blaupunkt subwoofer and amp in the boot, the weakest link to audio nirvana seems to be the headunit.

i know i'll lose the maxidot if i use the aftermarket HU, but does anybody have suggestions of any HU that has great sound quality, allows me to use the OEM steering remote and whose design will suit the panel design of the console with green LEDs?

any suggestions?

Are you going to be selling the Symphony mp3 headunit once you get a suitable replacement?

If you are I would be interested if it is like this one;

SkodaSymphonyMP3_AAO300013.jpg

yup, that's my unit..... are u sure you want it? besides it being very flush with the console, the sound quality isn't great...though it plays MP3 CDs....

i'll let you know if i change it.

cheers, bro

I already have a Symphony CD player in my Octavia but would like to be able to play MP3's as well but want to keep the dash looking original.

Let me know if you decide to sell it. Thanks.

You will struggle to get a HU that will work with the steering controls, I am not aware of any units that interface with them, so you will lose the maxidot and steering controls. TBH, I found the symphony more than adequate for sound. The reason I changed the one fitted to my octavia (non MP3 version) was because I wanted DAB and to play MP3 disks.

Clarions will helps. The headset thats in the picture is actually a Clarion set.

I beg to defer abt the sound quality. It is rather good cosider it being a stock setup.

for a stock, it is quite ok.

after the speakers, amp and sub.....the limitations of the headunit comes clear.....but if looks kinda nice in the dash.....hmmm..... decisions , decisions, decisions....:P:D

for a stock, it is quite ok.

after the speakers, amp and sub.....the limitations of the headunit comes clear.....but if looks kinda nice in the dash.....hmmm..... decisions , decisions, decisions....:P:D

Am also considering like wat you are doing.

However it doesnt make sense to me as i paid for the functions of having the steering wheel audio control and to remove it later?

Funny Right?

You will struggle to get a HU that will work with the steering controls, I am not aware of any units that interface with them...

I'm pretty sure the Passat PC99-X(something, I don't have my autoleads catalogue to hand) and the Alpine patch lead would do the job of the stereo interfacing with the steering wheel controls.

The Maxidot... that'd be a bit more of a problem, but other than that Alpine adaptor I think Connects2 will do something... I'm not sure.

I've not got either of them so I've never had that problem :)

• 1 year later...
Here is that link for the adapter. I've got an Alipine HU and planning to use it. Anyone tried this before??

Low Cost Car Audio | Accessories | Skoda | Alpine KCE-856B - Skoda Superb Interface

Have you purchased it all ready? Give us an overview of it. If it works I consider also switching to Alpine.

BR,