thinking of a vrs again! questions...

i am looking for a vrs again because my Im now spending a lot on petrol every week (£50=300miles) and of gr8 reviews I have seen, I am only interested in a remapped one to because I think standard form wont be as fast as I would like. Is this the car for me if I require, (in that order)

1.Reliability in general (also remapped, concerned about the clutch and turbo life?)

2.Fuel economy (can 400-500 miles per tank be achievable with remap on m’ways?)

3.Fast and fun handling

4. Tuning ability

because I would have the remap I would benefit from better brakes suspension etc.

thanks!

Based upon your £50/300miles thats an ave of 27mpg given the vRS has an official 53mpg it would cost you £25.

You say you travel 300miles a week thats 15,600miles p.a. the difference is that the vRS will be £1290 cheaper in fuel than your current car assuming you do get the 53mpg if you dont then the difference will be less. If so then the cost of changing your car/realising the depreciation may outweigh this fuel saving.

Based upon your £50/300miles thats an ave of 27mpg given the vRS has an official 53mpg it would cost you £25.

You say you travel 300miles a week thats 15,600miles p.a. the difference is that the vRS will be £1290 cheaper in fuel than your current car assuming you do get the 53mpg if you dont then the difference will be less. If so then the cost of changing your car/realising the depreciation may outweigh this fuel saving.

very well said mate:)

thanks for all the comments, i drive a toyota corolla at the mo and find my self doing 60mph on the m'ways to keep the bill down lol. sad i know, so looking at vrs or ibiza fr tdi.

just wanted to know if the mpg figures are achievable and weather it is reliable as a jap motor.

cheers

I'm have a 170 remap and I'm getting 53mpg consistantly with 60-70mph cruising and a spot of overtaking.

However from empty my tank only loads about £40 worth... so you're looking at 400-450 miles a tank.. My 306 dturbo did 500+ to a tank simply because it has a bigger reserve.

You may wanna look at a remapped 306 HDi? They are 115bhp...

What sorta corolla are you driving? The Compressor?

i have a 170bhp remap and get 41.1mpg as an average..it costs me around 40 to fill up and i get around 220 miles from half a tank so 450 from a full tank is achievable for sure...i get pretty poor mpg because the car is just so addicitive for its pace

My vRS has 180bhp, and an uprated clutch to handle the power.

Reliability since I've had it has been spot on. No problems what so ever. My cars covered 53k miles now, and looking through the service history, only consumables have ever been fixed at services - wiper blades, front brake pads and tyres ontop of the normal servicing. Can't get much better than that for reliability. Beware the 60k service though - it's an expensive one (cambelt) and is generally £500+.

Actual MPG (calculated by hand, not by the car) = 46-47mpg typical, based on hurling over 90 miles of A and B roads to work daily. If I really ease off I can get about 52mpg, but to get that we're talking about never exceeding a speed limit, accellerating soooo slowly, avoiding using brakes ever etc.

Don't look at the per tank figure, it's meaningless as to some people a tank full of fuel is 35 litres, to the next person it's much nearer 45 litres. Actual MPG achieved is much more useful. That said, a larger tank in the vRS for us high milers would save a trip to the petrol station every 5 days.

If you're thinking of buying a vRS, remapping it, uprating the clutch to handle the power, suspension modifications, brake upgrades etc, would it not make more sense buying something which is better in these areas already?

If by changing cars saves you £100 a month in fuel, how much does the change cost? If buying the Fabia/modifiying it works out at £100 a month, you may as well keep your current car. ;)

Food for thought.

Out of the bx vRS SE, no remaps etc, on a 130mile round-trip commute, 55 to 65mpg, depending on whether you cruise at 80mph or 70mph. Also have an Octavie 2PD which is roughly similar (slightly slower vs newer engine/bigger car). You can see 70mpg in either if (a) you really go carefully and/or (B) have good tail wind

Hi, my vrs has 190bhp and I do 2.5 miles to work and back , I get 47mpg which I think is quite good. Have driven lots of other cars and I must say this is the best small hatch I have ever owned.

Best of luck with your choice.:thumbup:

Hi, my vrs has 190bhp and I do 2.5 miles to work and back , I get 47mpg which I think is quite good. Have driven lots of other cars and I must say this is the best small hatch I have ever owned.

Best of luck with your choice.:thumbup:

Thats disgracefull using a car for a distance like that get a push bike or use the bus or walk.

I do 40 mile commute every day and get an average of 45mpg. If you want to you could easily make that 48mpg but not as much fun going 70 all the way! costs 42 to fill and i get 420 to a tank.I have been doing this for 16 months and have had no issues at all. If you drive sensibly the turbo and clutch will last. just had my 80k service and said all ok in that area.

i have lowered the car so that it handles better, and if i was not selling in next 2 months would add an ARB from Jabba sport. Also think leather seats are needed as the standard ones stain easily and are ard to clean.

I bought the car for all the reasonsd you described. I believe for a long distance commute with the fun of a hot hatch there is no better car on the market.

My 306 dturbo did 500+ to a tank simply because it has a bigger reserve.

You may wanna look at a remapped 306 HDi? They are 115bhp...

Better handling (by a long way) but worse build quality (rattles galore) and a slightly old fashioned feel to the way they drive. I had one and the missus currently has one (albeit hers is not a DTurbo, just the normal HDi without the trimmings).

Tank's also bigger on the 306 meaning a longer range brim to brim.

Drove a mapped HDi 90 and thought the power delivery was very linear - almost revvy. A standard vRS would still beat it though (albeit not by that much as the 306 weighs less) and provides a more exciting 'shove' IMO due to the peaky torque delivery.

Better mpg from the HDi too from what I've found. In fact the vRS did and still does disappoint in this regard circa 400 miles to a tank and that's driving it steady.

Not ever tried filling the expansion tank but that's not the point I feel.

In summary, the vRS feels more grown up as a car. The missus loves driving mine and hates getting back in her 306 afterwards with its heavy clutch, go kart heavy steering, rattles and naff brakes.

If I had to choose between the vRS and the Ibiza FR I'd choose the vRS but then that's obvious as I'm on a Skoda forum :D. Personally I prefer the more subtle looks of the Fabia and also the fact it has 4 passenger doors not 2 (been there, done that.....never again until I have a mid-life crisis and trade the missus in for a 19 year old blonde and the car in for a Porsche :D)

BUT, by all accounts the Ibiza is lighter than the Fabia.....by a considerable margin too apparently. Also comes with stiffer suspension than the vRS which some people like, others don't, mainly due to the rougher ride.

Better handling (by a long way) but worse build quality (rattles galore) and a slightly old fashioned feel to the way they drive. I had one and the missus currently has one (albeit hers is not a DTurbo, just the normal HDi without the trimmings).

Tank's also bigger on the 306 meaning a longer range brim to brim.

Drove a mapped HDi 90 and thought the power delivery was very linear - almost revvy. A standard vRS would still beat it though (albeit not by that much as the 306 weighs less) and provides a more exciting 'shove' IMO due to the peaky torque delivery.

Better mpg from the HDi too from what I've found. In fact the vRS did and still does disappoint in this regard circa 400 miles to a tank and that's driving it steady.

Not ever tried filling the expansion tank but that's not the point I feel.

In summary, the vRS feels more grown up as a car. The missus loves driving mine and hates getting back in her 306 afterwards with its heavy clutch, go kart heavy steering, rattles and naff brakes.

If I had to choose between the vRS and the Ibiza FR I'd choose the vRS but then that's obvious as I'm on a Skoda forum :D. Personally I prefer the more subtle looks of the Fabia and also the fact it has 4 passenger doors not 2 (been there, done that.....never again until I have a mid-life crisis and trade the missus in for a 19 year old blonde and the car in for a Porsche :D)

BUT, by all accounts the Ibiza is lighter than the Fabia.....by a considerable margin too apparently. Also comes with stiffer suspension than the vRS which some people like, others don't, mainly due to the rougher ride.

The ibiza FR rides really rough, our bens was horendous for ride quality, it was faster in standard form than my standard fabia and it cornered better too.

The ibiza FR rides really rough, our bens was horendous for ride quality, it was faster in standard form than my standard fabia and it cornered better too.

I thought the FR and vRS where near identical. Infact I looked at both and struggled to see any difference. The engine..the suspension..the brakes? Bigger wheels as standard on the FR though.

thanks for all the comments, i drive a toyota corolla at the mo and find my self doing 60mph on the m'ways to keep the bill down lol. sad i know, so looking at vrs or ibiza fr tdi.

just wanted to know if the mpg figures are achievable and weather it is reliable as a jap motor.

cheers

Is it the T Sport corolla? we have one of those and does about 30 mpg overall! my vrs does 48mpg of mixed driving! brilliant car! would recommend! Tsport good too though!:rolleyes:

thanks guys...

so a remaped fab are ok on the clutch as long as you dont do burn outs everytime you stop/ start?

the corolla is a nice car to drive, looks good, but cant justify the money being spent.

the fab looks perfect, surely there some drawbacks to it, apart from the expensive service now and then??

My VRS was remapped when i bought it, 3,000 miles later it needs an uprated clutch...

I dont care what anyone says but if you get a remap a clutch is a NECESSATY, i chose a Helix clutch and Uprated SMF flywheel, cost me around £1,000 fitted. so if you want a remap £400 you will need a £1,000 clutch (dependant whether you want a Sachs or a Helix)

If im honest i dont think remapping is worth it...