Jolty engine in traffic

yegnold

I've had this problem with all of my fabias and was wondering if it is just me driving incorrectly, or the "drive by wire" system, or an inherent problem in diesel engines.

When in traffic (generally in first gear), at around 1250 or 1350RPM, I tend to have my foot press very lightly on the throttle (obviously, else I'd be idling...)

When I loose go (not totally, just a slight amount so that I wish to drop to say 1100RPM to match the speed of the car in front), there is a quite severe jolt of the engine (the revs drop off extremely quickly and make the front end of the car "dip").

I've tried all sorts of methods, and if I am very, very, very careful with how much I let go of the throttle this doesn't happen quite as much....

I could only describe it as the throttle could be likened to a kind of "on off" switch between 1100 RPM and 1250RPM....

Just me?

I think this is just a trait.... I used to teach to drive in my fabia vRS, and the pupils found it very difficult to drive it smoothly.... its very sensitive to slight throttle changes in first gear...

I now use a GP sporting (still a 1.9 TD 130bhp) and its alot smoother in first gear.... this is because the throttle in the GP is a lot more progressive, and in the fabia it did seem very "on-off", the only conclusion can be, its a trait with the fabia.... I did however manage to drive it smoothly myself ;) as you say, you've just got to be sensitive with it :)

I think its a trait of the DBW system also , as it took me a good few months to get used to driving the Fabia after running a Lancer Evo for 18 months - I would have been a dead cert for the UK Fabia stalling team , if there was such a thing!! Now Im used to the car I can drive smoothly , but it did take longer to 'learn' the Fabia than any other car I've driven.

what he said. Cage mod it first....

Also you can turn down the EGR second and adjust the idle speed as well -third - all of these help to smooth stuff.....

You can alter (forget which parameter) to make the DBW more/less responsive..

Check the MAF is fine (unplug it and see if it runs better) and your airfilter is clean.

Finally if al else fails- get a remap...

HTH

Bas

• 5 months later...

Thanks go to all of the people in this thread who suggested that I do the "cage mod" - I finally got around to doing it this morning and the difference is somewhat impressive, for having spent £4 on a tube of silicone grease :D