Show me your lense!

jaymd

I'm looking at getting a lense or 2 for my 400d,i only have standard kit lense at present.

Can anyone recommend a zoom and maybe a walkabout lense.Budget is around £150 each.

Also has anyone got a 50mm 1.8f 'nifty fifty' that will be going to c&f meet.

I want this: Canon EF 28-135mm f3.5-5.6 IS USM Lens Review

But very pricey. Canon do an old 35-135mm USM lens that I use at the moment as my main walkaround lens. A little long for close stuff, but excellent for everything else considering the price of it 2nd hand. Plenty going on eBay all the time too.

I got the Tamron AF28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD instead of the kit lens, takes fantastic pics with my 350d

Trouble is it's a bit more than your budget (at about £250) but it is worth the money

The Tamron 70-300mm lens frequently wins test battles with rivals and fits in your budget. I had an earlier version of this lens and although it is quit slow, it is a surprisingly pleasing lens with decent IQ. I have a 350D with a 17-55mm f2.8 Canon and a 70-200mm f2.8 Sigma at the moment.

It might be worth looking at flogging/trading your other lenses and getting a superzoom - Sigma do an image stabilised 18-200mm lens for the Canon, my Dad just got one for his 40D for about £350 off ebay I think? Not 100% sure about the price...

I've got the Nikon 18-200VR for my D80 and it's an amazing lens - 28-300 actual and works well pretty much throughout that range. I don't have any other lenses and haven't needed any thus far (a macro lens might be nice and perhaps a good f2.8 prime for low-light stuff).

I have also heard the 55-250mm (£220 at Warehouse Express) Canon lens isn’t too bad either. It has a massive range and is a great way to get to know your camera better without having to change lenses often. I still have a Sigma 18-200mm lens (£200 at Jacobs-none OS model) which I will leave on my 350D permanently when I eventually replace it (the 350D) with (hopefully) a 40D. IQ isn’t too bad with this lens either.

Cheers for the replies.

I have missed out on a few sigma on fleabay,but the search goes on.

I haven't seen any reviews on 55-250 is from canon,but i have seen it at cameras2u foe just under £190.

Watching ebay over the last few days has opened my eyes a little,to how many people are buying lenses and then selling them straight away if they have got it cheap.:thumbdwn:

I'll have my 350D bits at the C&F Jay, if you want to have a look at what I'm using.

(17-85 IS Canon and a 75-300 USM Mk3 Canon, shortly to be joined by a 10-22 Canon wide-angle :))

Perhaps neither of those two are what you're looking for, but I love the 17-85 for everyday...

Steve