1.8T 4x4

Here is a rolling road graph for the most powerful Octavia on this forum - a 1.8T 4X4 Combi which is owned by EddyH. 300bhp shouldn't break a Haldex...

17426d1193172685-rr-20-10-07.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I have a Jabba kit on mine. It pumps out a whisker over 350 bhp but I have strengthened the Internals. On stock internals the general feeling is dont go above about 320 bhp.

Before you start research carefully look at the different turbo options. Big power figures dont neccesearily make a driveable car. I researched it for a couple of years as I wanted a very fast road car & eventually plumped for the Jabba option, not neccesarily the 500 bhp that some cars have but an incredibly driveable car. The bigger the turbo potentially the more bhp you will get but it takes longer to wind up, its all down to what you want.

Back to your original question Ive done a few cannonball runs in the car, a couple of Furballs & numerous trackdays. The Haldex is still std & to date has performed perfectly, just remember the oil & filter changes !!

The weak point might be the gearbox, I managed to destroy mine & have since fitted the Audi TT 6 speed box but that requires a lot of work. You will find the ratios in the std 4x4 box will be a limiting factor. ttey are shorter than other Octavias which means you hit the rev limiter in top at about 160 mph. A fix to that is to install the gear cluster out of an Octy VRS, these will go straight into the std 4x4 box. I did this initially but in the end I stripped 3rd gear so went the TT route. You might find with 300-320 bhp you are OK. Many people are running the VRS with big turbos on std boxes & are OK but the load on those will be less due to the amount of wheelspin they get which relieves load on the car

Enjoy building the car, if you get it right its a joy to own & will really annoy M3 & Audi drivers ;);)

Stuart

another option which might be cheaper is the ATP GT2871r kit but you will have to get the S3 kit and manifold/downpipe as the K03's replacement kit won't fit an octavia 4x4, i tried and it clashes with the transfer box :(

still, i have the GT2x kit on mine that will soon be getting rebuilt with a ball bearing core(probably from a GT28) and should top the 300bhp mark by a little bit with a decent spool form 2000-2500 and hit peak boost by about 3800rpm :)

tbh though the price difference between the smallest and biggest kits it isn't worth buying the smaller one an modifying but i have had mine for a little while now :)

can't wait to get mine back on the road, i destroyed my gearbox last year so have been collecting parts and the car is getting an engine change(its done 120K miles) as well as TT 6 speed conversion :)