This one has me stumped

CB has been riding a bit rough (im a perfectionist) and i've noticed the bumps more lately.

Checked tyre pressure all ok, except front off side was 11 ... taken care of that.

Bounced the back of the car ... a little bounce back but not huge. Front of car is more "bouncy" and off side tyre area makes a "shhhing" noise similar to the noise when blowing a bicycle tyre up with a hand pump, when pushed down. Don't think it's the tyre as it would be flat by now (if a it's a leak) ... any ideas ?

I'm loathed to go back to F1 as i spent most of last week there ...

... i need CB in tip top condition though as i am on call for an imminent family loss that would mean belting up to Northampton at short notice.

As ever any ideas as to what it could be and price range ?

Thanks

Tina.

Down to 11psi isn't much to worry about though if you haven't checked/pumped them in over a while. You may be surprised to learn tha oygen actually leaks through the rubber of the tyre itself over time (but I think oxygen only makes up 30-40% of air?) But if worried about the tyre check to see if the spare is any better. If you have alloys your rims may be leaking (don't know if the steelies do it too when they get old). But I have loads of alloys that seem to be leaking at the rim, damn annoying - but as I have a handful of spares I've jigged them all around and have the best ones on the car and contemplating getting the others refurbed rather than forking out £15 for a rim re-seal (for each wheel) as I'll then have a nice refurbed wheel and a resealed rim.

As for shocks if the spring discs look excessively rusty, they bounce more than say twice before resting, or there is signs of leaking - then I would say it is more important to get them replaced. If not I'd leave it a while or see what the next MOT says.

If you don't have breakdown cover it could be a good time to buy. You have to be prepared to cancel and change every year though usually it seems. RAC for me went from I think about £40, 11 months later a letter turns up saying my card will be charged £100 for renewal - called up immediately to cancel - and am now with my insurer's breakdown scheme. Should the worst happen at least you wouldn't have to pay a bomb to be towed off the motorway etc. Here's an article on getting breakdown cover cheap Breakdown cover: Get the cheapest roadside recovery policies...

Glad to hear your bounciness is AOK :), in the rear, but your front is more bouncier:O:confused:.

I do agree with Harry Hill (posted after this one), unless youre into quick hi speed stuff, I dont bother with shockers unless its obviously too bad for an MOT.

However :( Sorry to hear about your possible (Hey! you never know) imminent family member loss, you must be undergoing a great sorrow / stress.

A possible cheaper ( than a new tyre) remedy for slow puncture is an aerosol tyre sealer,

SILVERHOOK HIGH PRESSURE TYRE SEALER PUNCTURE REPAIR @ on eBay, also, Tyres, Car Wheels, Tyres Trims, Cars, Parts Vehicles (end time 05-Mar-08 19:59:33 GMT)

I believe halfords will sell similiar, maybe you should 'do' every tyre as an additional insurance from a puncture breakdown.

But I have found that a slow puncture is often caused by an embedded nail or screw,:eek:, which can be DANGEROUS,ie possible blowout.

With an ongong slow puncture you should check your tyres ,wheels off the car:finger: , carefully for an embedded nail or screw.

Go for Michelin everytime myself, theyre a stronger tyre which will take a good (no; bad, bad) kerbing without lumps appearing in the tyre wall, more than can be said for the rest of them.

Do you have a recovery insurance.AA/RAC etc.?

Halfords do one cheaper I think.:rolleyes:

Your dampers are probably just a bit tired. Nothing to worry about really as they soften over age on all cars.

So long as they are not bouncing about too much, leaking fluid or have exessive corrosion they will see you right for a while yet.

I'm prob looking to get my dampers done but they seem ok still.

I keep my tyres at 32-34PSI

I'd check for nails etc in the tyre or even replace with the spare if its having to be pumped up every week say.

I had to change one of my tyres after it went flat and wouldnt pump up cause the valve had broken.

Out came the spare wheel and a new spare tyre cost £25 for a budget one

Some magazines recommend blackcircle.com? if you are insured with KwikFit you get a 10% discount at the auto centres.

Slow leaks from tyres are almost invariably rim leaks, due to corrosion under the tyre bead, or distortion of the tyre bead due to clip-on balance weights, or a combination. I've occasionally managed to fix rim leaks with bathroom silicone, but the remedy usually ends up being carrying a footpump in the car and using it every few days.

Dampers really need replacing around 30,000 miles, but you can often get double that out of them if you're not fussed about driving comfort, controllability in corners and braking distance. I've taken old dampers off a car that had recently passed an MOT and found them almost completely inactive. Not surprisingly the car's handling picked up NO END when I put new ones on! A hissing noise from a damper doesn't signify anything - some do it new, some do it old, some never seem to do it.

Thanks guys ... im thinking damper/shock might be the issue as it is riding rather roughly over bumpy cobbles etc. Not excessive but i'm picky.

Thanks for the heads up on Breakdown cover ... i have RAC cover through Asda (odd i know) @ £6.16 a month for all the bells and whistles package lol. With my mini monsters on board it was my 3rd priority buy (after tax + ins) so im pretty confident.

Tossing the idea of going to F1 and explaining the situation, see if they can give it a once over for motorway travel (only gone up to 55mph in it so far :rolleyes:)

On SWEDISH's advice i will go carrying a basket of freshly baked Muffins and hot coffee .. :thumbup:

Spare tyre check priority ... thanks, i hadn't even thought of that. Mind not in gear lately.

Tina.

Iansmith ... thanks for your optimism, you're right, you never do know but imminent was the right choice of words ....

I'm a Cold Bitch, death isn't a stranger but when it's close to home i feel useless.

RAC is the top package .. Roadside/Recovery/Homestart/Replacement/Overnight stay/Legal cover and some other trimmings ... Bells and whistles all the way baby lol :cool:

Tina

Tina,

I can never think of a 'right' thing to say with this stuff, like; take it easy,it takes time.

Sorry,

Ian.:(

I usually go for bells and whistles with recovery policies,maybe saves hassle when you need it a long way from home in the middle of the night.:o

Sorry to hear of "the inevitable". You'll find that posting in the "Hotel" section of the forum will get you a lot of friendly and helpful advice/support that will make you realise just how great most of the members of BriSkoda are.

Obviously check the front dampers, but pay particular attention to corrosion of the lower spring mounts. Also check the lower wishbone bushes and ball joint. Check out the anti roll bar bushes too if your car has one fitted.

If you end up replacing the front dampers, and given how you like your car to be in tip top condition, I would highly recommend replacing the top spring cup, bearing and rubber mount while it's in bits. When the mount becomes worn the ride becomes crashy and noisy.

Hope everything works out OK.

Sorry to hear of "the inevitable". You'll find that posting in the "Hotel" section of the forum will get you a lot of friendly and helpful advice/support that will make you realise just how great most of the members of BriSkoda are.

Thanks Daverapid ... it's really not a problem. As i said i'm a cold **** and you "guys" have been more than friendly and supportive with all the advice and guidance you have given me.

CB is doing fine i think ... a lot of it is getting used to a particular car (i haven't owned one for quite a while) and CB is a great car.

Safety wise i will see what the MOT says, it's running quite nicely with new oil,exhaust and sparkies.

Though im sure the amount of "Cheeky Monkey On Board" stickers and signs is hindering it's performance (back me up here) and some will need to go.

Bit miffed as the horn has now stopped working !! My road rage can not be satisfied (joke) but i must get it sorted ... the Haynes, i found, was not too helpful but then i only skimmed it.

Anywho ... on wards and up wards?

As for the horn, it will fail it an MOT but it's not a problem so long as you never need it. Last time I used it was after the car in front threw out a pepsi carton which hit my car :(

You could get yourself off to Halfords and get one of these Stebel Compact Nautilus Car Horn from Halfords Price £22.99 The sound will be much better than the old horn. Only thing is you need to wire a relay up with positive from the battery, switched horn wire (positive I think), earth and a wire to the positive on the horn itself.

Or for a cheapie that will do the job and should be a straight swap Jorily (Graham) on ebay sells one for about £7 that will do the job.

Suppose it could also be the horn button or the wiring but chances are it's just the horn.

chances are the horn will just be corroded contacts. easy to check if you want to have a go yourself!

as dave said definitely check the lower cups of your front shocks. you DO NOT want one of these going pop. just look in the arch, look at the plate that holds the spring away from the tyre and poke it to see if its rusted through.

what tyre pressures do you ahve in the tyres now?

Phew .. :o

Spoke to F1 and they are gonna take CB in for a service and road test on Weds. Explained the situation and he understands fully ... not going to charge me.

From what i said on the phone he thinks there isn't a problem ... nothing glaringly obvious when they were under it doing the exhaust.

Tyres are at 24-26 at the moment but be interesting what front o/s is now.

Is it my imagination or do spark plugs effect performance (Starting, acceleration etc) and general drive ?? ... Since having new sparkies CB starts beautifully and 2nd gear acceleration .... Mmmmmm :P lol.

No chug in 3rd or "hiccuping" when i put a bit of load on it as before.

Had to smile as CB started 1st time sweet as a nut this frosty morning and an Audi driver in our car park was struggling :rofl::rofl::rofl::rolleyes:

T.

...they are gonna take CB in for a service and road test on Weds ... not going to charge me.

Did you tell them you'll bring coffee and muffins along? They are probably looking forward to a long and beutiful friendship :D

Is it my imagination or do spark plugs effect performance (Starting, acceleration etc) and general drive ??

Starting, definitely. Acceleration and general drive - well, maybe if the old ones were really worn out. But the combination of new exhaust and plugs probably wholesome. Maybe the performance is exactly as before, but smoother and more silent which give you a "better" feeling.

Had to smile as CB started 1st time sweet as a nut this frosty morning and an Audi driver in our car park was struggling :rofl::rofl::rofl::rolleyes:

:Owned: (the Audi owner, that is). Class! :thumbup: Malicious pleasure lasts! :D

Lmao ... don't know about the coffee and muffins but did have a laugh trying to describe problems with my bouncy bits :eek::rofl:.

I'm still gloating over the poor Audi ... malicious ? Moi ? .... Daaaaamn right :D

T..

Swedishskoda is right about the plugs.

Although my car started and ran ok ish whyen i bought it at 75k miles

at 80k miles it had a proper service where the plugs, oil etc was changed and fuel injector cleaner dumped in the tank.

Definately ran smoother and a little more economical.

Couldn't find where the fuel filter was though so got a refund for that at the dealer.

Bouncy bits, we love bouncy bits. Holly Wiloughby's bouncy bits anyone :D

To get to the Fuel Filter you have to go climb through the Jeffries tubes and access panel for the photon torpedo relays :rofl:

But seriously it's under the exhaust heat shield under the car (if same as 1.3) and is quite difficult to get at it seems. Yet to have the joy of trying to replace it myself.

Bouncy bits, we love bouncy bits. Holly Wiloughby's bouncy bits anyone :D

Did anyone see her on Al Murray?! :D That was hallarious! And she is fit ;)

My car likes to bounce a bit when accelerating and stopping - I like making it rock by pumping the brake pedal on & off - that looks dead funny in traffic :rolleyes:

Ironically my front suspension has been replaced - must just be my driving technique! :P

Did anyone see her on Al Murray?! :D That was hallarious! And she is fit ;)

Nope still trying ... she just doesn't do anything for me :ashamed:?!?

My car likes to bounce a bit when accelerating and stopping - I like making it rock by pumping the brake pedal on & off - that looks dead funny in traffic :rolleyes:

Scares the wooly bits off the driver infront too ... Bonus !! Kids love it when i do that but not too often lol.

WooooHoooo....

Some bad news but not too bad at all.

Had it's once over and came back with needing :-

2 x Rear Shocks

1x Rear barring

1x Horn

Washer fluid :o ..... and thats IT.

None are an MOT fail, advisory at most.

£220 and CB is top notch.

Holly Willoughby (sp) ....

A Bint and Trout ? ....

Bint, from the Arabic word for 'daughter', is a derogatory slang word in the United Kingdom meaning woman or girl. Usage varies from the harsh 'bitch', to only a slightly derogatory, almost affectionate, term for a young woman. The latter being associated more with usage in the West Midlands. The term was used in British armed forces and the London area synonymously with 'bird' from at least the 1950s.

Retrieved from "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bint"

Me thinks not a fan .. ?