Rear of car instability with new tyres

RussellJ

Hi

I drive an Octavia VRs (MkI), 2005, 40K miles on the clock.

I've just replaced both rear tyres 2 weeks and 500 miles ago - (swapped the original Contisports for a pair of Toyo Proxes T1-R 205/50 R17 Y). I went with the Toyos since I was so impressed with the improved wet & dry grip when I changed the front tyres over to them.

However, since replacing the rears, the "feel" of the back of the car has taken a distinct turn for the worse. This is especially noticeable driving around roundabouts in a "spirited" manner, or braking and steering at the same time (yes, I know that's not a good thing). The sensation is actually quite alarming and doesn't feel at all safe - like it's going to lose grip and swing away.

Both tyres are at 2.1 bar pressure. I can't believe the Toyos are worse than worn Contisports. Could the tyre fitters have knocked something? It just seems too much of a coincidence that this issue occurred as soon as the tyres were changed.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Russell

It sounds like the new tyres are still losing mould release agent, and "stiff-walled", which changes the total spring rates (tyre wall + road spring + ARB). Also, I think your tyre pressures are wrong, if they're the same all round.

Ignore Matt; he's just bought rubbish tyres to replace ok ones!

SP2000;

Very popular model from Dunlop. Exceptional reassurance in the wet, quieter cabin and enhanced ride comfort. Fitted as original equipment by the world's prestige car manufacturers. Quality and performance assurance.

What are the best tyres for the vRS? Mine are 205/55/16 so no doubt there will be some tyres the 17s can get over mine! :)

SP2000;

Very popular model from Dunlop. Exceptional reassurance in the wet, quieter cabin and enhanced ride comfort. Fitted as original equipment by the world's prestige car manufacturers. Quality and performance assurance.

What are the best tyres for the vRS? Mine are 205/55/16 so no doubt there will be some tyres the 17s can get over mine! :)

Which Dunlop advertising speel did you get that from!? ;)

When I first bought my skoda it was fitted with the so called Dunlop's (just fitted by previous owner). Two sidewall failures and a blowout on the rear at seventy on bypass on nearside rear. Worst tyres ever. Dunlop wouldn't even do anything as bought by previous owner. :mad:

To help scrub your tyres in it is always best to fit on front for first thousand as the majority of weight and stresses occur here. Once scrubbed get them on the back and see if stability improves.:)

hi

I use the marangoni mythos tyre and i think they are a nice al round good wearin tyre

I have 225 40 18 on and i think the contisport tyres on the 17" rims gave a certain vibration thru the cabin wearas the mythos dont.

mytyres.co.uk they are only £70 a go then you need to get them fitted.

I also like the straight walls, they dont bulge out and they have a small rim protector on them.

I didnt really need to wear them in as they were good from start to finnish, they are wearin a bit thin now though as I was runnin them bit high on preasure.

i just put toyo t1-r's on my octy mk 1 today, and handling is so dodgy it's not even funny! trying to spin the wheels as much as i can to wear them in a bit :P

Toyo definitely do "come in" after an initial running in period.

Primacy HP tyres.. I couldn't get them to slip no matter what I did, wet and dry grip was far superior to any tyre I had in the past not to mention the over 25k miles and still only at 2mm on the fronts. The dunlops are new tyres so maybe they just take a bit of time to wear in.. All I know is the cooper zeons on the fronts will probably only last me about 3000-4000 miles and they came with 6mm on them.

Thought I'd post a quick update - after 1,200 miles things seem to have improved - suspect they did indeed just need more time to wear in.

This seemed a bit odd as when the Toyos were fitted on the fronts, grip seemed to be excellent from day 1.

Thanks to all.

Russell