Service intervals

First question from a newbie.

2006 Octavia 2.0TDi L&K.

I have, briefly, read the handbook and thought later models had non-specific/usage service intervals? My car was serviced on its first anniversary (8k miles) and is due soon on its 2nd anniversary (about 17000 miles).

I was expecting 15k+ before a FIRST service this day and age.

Can dealer set it for annual/mileage services or usage dependent or is this fixed.

Should the flywheel recall be shown in the service handbook and anything else I should ask dealer to check when it goes for its service?

Any reason why no answers on this one, I thought the forum would be ideal place to get assistance? Have I posted it in wrong area or something? I will ask the dealer but armed with a bit of insider info' I shouldn't get the wool pulled over my eyes - thanks

I thought all the cars are set by default to the long life service, so if you only hit 8k per year you might want to get the dealer to change it to yearly. If like us we do 20k per year then the long life service is much better.

Any reason why no answers on this one, I thought the forum would be ideal place to get assistance? Have I posted it in wrong area or something? I will ask the dealer but armed with a bit of insider info' I shouldn't get the wool pulled over my eyes - thanks

Try the search facility - been covered several times :thumbup:

I think that if you have the free servicing that Skoda were offering then it's annual servicing but for variable it should be 2 years or 20,000 miles depending on driving conditions and usage.

I have a sticker on my Passat which says which oil was used ie; longlife but it should say on you service invoice which was used.

The may have used the lonlife oil but not reset the indicator properly. Might be worth checking with your dealer!

HTH.

As a guide, I seem to get about 19k miles (on variable) between services. This value seems similar to what others have reported, although it is of course dependent on your driving style and what sort of driving you do.

I have found I need to top up with 1 ltr of oil every 6 or 7k miles. Be aware that the oil is quite expensive - around £12.50/ltr at dealer prices but less from Opie Oils (one of the site sponsors)

The dealer has to set the car for this, and use a specific type of oil. It may be that the original owner asked for it to be put onto fixed.

When you are on variable, pressing and holding the trip re-set button tells you how long to go until the service is due.

With regard to the DMF recall, the first time I went into a dealer after buying it, it flagged up on the Skoda system as soon as he put the registration number in, and was therefore booked in for the check. Worth asking them to confirm though.

Other things you could ask a dealer to do is disable/enable beeps on lock/unlock, or enable/disable the anti-hijack feature depending on your preferences.

Finally, in answer to post # 2 in this thread, I think you need to appreciate 24 hour support is not available! There are not that many people on between 23.42 and 08.16 (and those that are are probably drunk!)

I don't know if this will help but, I had 3 Audi's befoer I got into Skoda and they all came as standard with the long life oil in with variable service ie the car tells you when the service is due. I then got the new Vrs Tfsi and automatically thought that this would be the same. I was then told that the dealer always sets the cars to yearly servicing or 10K miles as standard and you have to specify when ordering that you want the long life oil leaving in. I have done this on my Tdi L & K this time!

Thanks all, will be going to the dealers in next couple of weeks so will have a chat. I drive reasonably 'economically' minded and this isn't our main car so I perhaps benefit from having variable servicing intervals I'm guessing at the moment.

In response to Andy2407 - I waited three days, wasn't expecting immediate on-demand response but have used other forums before and usually got multiple responses in matter of hours (often drunkenly, still valid or at least debatable!!!) - thanks

Apologies - my mistake.

I mis-read it and thought you had posted last night.

Most posts do get answered - but with the site being so busy some disappear off the radar screen before getting answered.

Feel free to :bump: if required.