2005 vrS - Cost of pads and discs?

Bobbyg

My Fabia was in today for its 40,000 mile service and first MOT. Ouch! £360!

On top of that they advised me that my front discs and pads will need done before the next service, and my rears are really needing done now. Oh and I will need 2 rear tyres as well very soon!

My question is, how much are pads and discs for the Fabia vrS from a dealer for supply only, and also from a car parts place? I will obviously ask the dealer tomorrow when I collect my car but just wondering if there is any input from here?

Also are the pads and discs easy to change to the average DIYer? I have done pads and discs before but I struggled with a Scenic as I needed a special tool to loosen the rear calipers on them. Are a Fabias straightforward or am I looking at having to get someone to do them (obviously not at the dealer!)

Any advice appreciated!

At the start of the year while my 05 vRS was in getting wheel bearings changed under warranty I was quoted £84.87 for rear brakes and pads and associated small items. Then £87.10 on top in labour. These prices are excluding VAT

Hope this helps

Hi.

I bought a set of standard replacement Mintex rear discs & pads for £29.99 off ebay - £11 postage. Got garage to fit them while in for service and timing belt as he explained the whole needing to wind the calipers back thing. Turned out to be 2 hours labour... kind of wish I'd tried to do them myself to save £50 off the total bill...

A set of Mintex front discs & pads can be had off ebay for £64.99 plus £12.95 postage.

Both prices are cheaper even with postage than my local motor factor place.

2 hours labour? No chance, my local place did 4 discs and 4 pads for 2 hours labour.

Maybe he rounded it up! I dunno... fronts are easy though aren't they? its a small friendly place and his labour is only £28/hr so I'll let him off. Plus my knuckles had only just healed from doing my missus' clio's discs so at least I didn't loose anymore skin!

Rear caliper winder is £15, which you will save on the first job you do with it ;). TBH I am surprised the rears needed doing as they don't wear, however they do rust so it was probably that.

Please be careful with the hoses though. There is a special shaped hose going into the caliper and on the few that I have done disturbing this pipe (I knocked it with a spanner) caused the pipe to crack. Being as it's happened three times I don't think it's my cack handedness (Well not all of it anyway:rofl: ). It's a dealer only bit and they never stock them so it's a 2 day wait for an £8 piece of pipe.

Well when I picked up my car the prices quoted were as follows:

Front pads and discs - supply only £93.50 + vat, £210.91 to include fitting

Rear pads and discs - supply only £73.31 + vat, £183.08 to include fitting

They also advised me my offside suspension consul bush was worn and this would be £64.71 + vat supply only, or £183.08 to include fitting.

Service, MOT and wipers cost £362.16 so if I had also added in the price of all the pads and discs, the consul bush, and the two new rear tyres I also need (just passed MOT and no more), then I would have been talking a bill of between £900-£1000!!

Will need to wait till the Visa bill for the service is paid then start picking things off one by one, starting probably with the tyres!

I am sure Eurocarparts etc will have pads and discs much cheaper and I might try and tackle them myself, having borrowed my friend's caliper rewind tool and reading the excellent step by step guide thats posted on here!

Are all caliper rewind tools the same, my friend bought his for his Scenic, are they all model specific or one size fits all?