Ok to delay 1st service

Also, the thing that concerns me with variable is that there is know knowing whether the car was actually serviced when it said it wanted it. I.e. it may say it wants a service at 12k, but if the owner doesn't take it in until 18k how can you tell??

Perhaps the on board computer/engine management keeps a record of this that could be interrogated with dealer diagnostic/VAG-COM kit?

Also, as per the service book maximum interval on variable for petrol cars is 20k miles or 2 years. To actually reach that mileage limit would be impressive! :eek:

Mine is set to ' Variable Service' and has, after the first 1,000 miles or so, been consistently indicating first service due in 'xxx' miles that when added to miles covered = service due at 18,700 miles (which will be in about six weeks time with car only a year old). My journey pattern is pretty routine/consistent.

My local dealer has told me that some cars on variable with the right journey pattern (courier/airport taxi) will run to 25,000 miles or more before service is due.

Well I have the car booked in for end of week. I still have less then 12k kilomoetres on it, and it's probably 4 weeks over service time. The garage doesn't seem bothered.

They quoted me 180 euro for first service (including diagnostic), which does not include tracking or new wiper blades. Will also need to get slight knocking in suspension looked at (I think it could even be the rear seat), and one of my mates has commented my exhaust rattles when accelerating. Hmm.. Was probably in too high a gear at the time. Other then that and the odd rattle (seatbelt clips, jumbo box etc..) it's ok for 1 year of driving on truly awful roads.

Out of interest does a gallon of oil cover it, as I intend bringing my own. Last time I asked about what oil/make they use, it defintiely wasn't the latest VW spec stuff I top up with.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd thought my service light had come on a bit early (8000 miles) but reading some of the comment here then perhaps it's about right. Is there anyway to know for definite if a car is on variable or fixed servicing?

9300 miles is the minimum value 20k the max (some are 30k).

If the light comes on at 11k there is a pretty good chance it does need a service. However if it is just reset the oil quality sensor will still record the same soot content in the oil and the light will be back on again soon enough.

9300 miles is the minimum value 20k the max (some are 30k).

If the light comes on at 11k there is a pretty good chance it does need a service. However if it is just reset the oil quality sensor will still record the same soot content in the oil and the light will be back on again soon enough.

Hmm, so the servicing light coming on at around 8000 saying 2900 miles or 23 days till service is within tolerance (just)

Would I be correct in thinking though that if I was to reset the service light myself the sensors would still say the car needs a service if the car is on variable but would stay off if the car is on fixed?

In terms of the warranty , I was told by Seat customer services that with my Leon the onus is on the dealer to prove that not servicing the car within the designated period led directly to the cause of the failure that you are trying to claim for. Apparently its a UK legal thing and would apply to any car.

Treat this info with caution as I have not had it verified legally and have not tested it myself!!