Accident insurance. Need advice.

Old Blue

Backed out of a car park space.

Mini young girl driver backed out of her space turned towards me in reverse and kept coming. No time to move hand on horn went straight into SWMBO door. She was not impressed.

Girl said all her fault her ins. co. agreed got 2 quotes. They then turned round and said I was moving! Complete rowlocks!

No witnesses so they say 50 /50. Going thro. my ins would cost me £300 excess + increased premium next year.

My brokers say even though I will not make a claim I should tell my ins. co. even though friend of friend in same circumstances told his ins. co. and they put his premium up the next year.

Said he was involved in an incident!!

I do not want to tell mine because I already have one minor blot from 2 years ago on my ins!

Anyone on here know anything about the finer points of car insurance or had similar happen??

Yes , if she tells her insurance company that you reversed into her , then her company *will* contact yours and in the absence of witnesses then it will be settled 50-50 and you *will* be classed as having had a claim and being involved in an accident.

Oh , and the terms of your policy *will* say that you need to inform them of any incident that may result in a claim so you are obliged to tell them

Most insurers ask you if you have been involved in any accidents in addition to asking about any claims so you technically have to declare it (and you're committing fraud and misrepresenting your risk if you don't declare it).

If I was in that situation, I'd try and fight to get her to admit to 100% of the liability. I'm sure any decent bodyshop should be able to state whether your car was moving at the time. Did the car park you were in have CCTV?

Chris

Thing is though, if the girl said it was her fault, and her insurance agreed, then thats all that matters. The OP should get on to his insurance company and demand they refuse knock for knock on the grounds she had already admitted liability. Sounds like her insurance company is trying it on and your insurance company is letting them.

Thing is though, if the girl said it was her fault, and her insurance agreed, then thats all that matters. The OP should get on to his insurance company and demand they refuse knock for knock on the grounds she had already admitted liability. Sounds like her insurance company is trying it on and your insurance company is letting them.

It has not got near my ins. co yet, my brokers were dealing with it and according to them the other party can withdraw there statement right up until the car goes in for repair!!

There were no witnesses so it is her word against mine! Hence the 50/50.

I'd like to get the ******* who primed her with the moving car bit!!

Most insurers ask you if you have been involved in any accidents in addition to asking about any claims so you technically have to declare it (and you're committing fraud and misrepresenting your risk if you don't declare it).

If I was in that situation, I'd try and fight to get her to admit to 100% of the liability. I'm sure any decent bodyshop should be able to state whether your car was moving at the time. Did the car park you were in have CCTV?

Chris

I agree with you re. the body shop but it would probably need an Insurance assesor to send in a report that the insurance co. would recognise and that is just going to bump up the cost. I might ring my ins. co tomorrow and sound them out.

Just gets right up your nose!!

Found out she had a shunt last March so she is tgrying to keep the cost down but all she will save is her excess as she is not claiming for her car as hardly any damage. Her premium will go up next year though!

Yes , if she tells her insurance company that you reversed into her , then her company *will* contact yours and in the absence of witnesses then it will be settled 50-50 and you *will* be classed as having had a claim and being involved in an accident.

Oh , and the terms of your policy *will* say that you need to inform them of any incident that may result in a claim so you are obliged to tell them

Letter being sent from her ins. co. to say no claim will be made against me! If thats worth anything?

did you get any photos?

Yes they are with brokers.

You can see my car had'nt moved otherwise the side of the car would be scored right down that side.

Had a similar problem a few years ago. Woman hit me as she went wide on a roundabout exit. She admitted fault at the scene, but then changed her tune. I had evidence that I was stopped, as the scrapes on my wheel trims were straight, not curly, but she didn't give up. After a problem with my useless legal representatives, and just days before the 3rd court appearance, when the evidence would finally be presented, the woman just gave up, admitted full liability, and the case was closed.

The really annoying thing was my insurance company kept pushing me to settle 50/50, as it was the "easiest option".

Phil

Letter being sent from her ins. co. to say no claim will be made against me! If thats worth anything?

I don't think so. The problem is the insurance company determine your premium by calculating how much of a risk you are. If you have been involved in an accident (irrespective of fault) you are a higher risk to them so they stipulate in the T&C's that any "incidents" must be reported even if you haven't claimed.

On the plus note, if there is no paper trail then it would be hard for them to prove you were lying, but I'm not sure I'd like to test that....

Chris

Phoned insurance Co. today and woman asked loads of questions!

I asked her if I would get a black mark on my insurance and would my premium go up next year, she said no!! Time will tell!!!!

Anyway got cheque in the post from the other partys ins. co. I had 2 quotes, the dearest one would not knock anything off for cash but the other one did so bite the bullet and it's only!! going to cost me £250!

Still got the hump about her not owning up though. Still what comes around goes around!

Why do people cause an accident, admit it then go back on it? Do they really think they can get away with lying? Surely this should be classed as fraud and make no insurance company ever touch them again when they're proved to have lied.

Why do people cause an accident, admit it then go back on it? Do they really think they can get away with lying? Surely this should be classed as fraud and make no insurance company ever touch them again when they're proved to have lied.

The same reason people commit a crime then lie to the police about it. They think they might be able to get away with it and not take responsibility for their own actions/mistakes. :mad: