Looking for a cheap TDI - Octy has popped up!

Hi guys!

I'm on the lookout for a cheap to run TDI for the new trek to work, and i've found a 1999 V plated Octy 1.9 TDI locally for good money. I'm waiting to find out service history and mileage at the moment, and am hoping to go and have a look. Can you guys give me any pointers of what to look for if i do go see?

Thanks in advance!

Sticky turbo, (If a 110 BHP) lack of power from the turbo, any lights/instruments not working in he dash pod as this required a new pod.

Air con compressor, check the clutch is still attached, and that the system blows icy cold when set to minimum/`lo`

Creaking ARB and suspension from the front end too.

Miliage doesn't count, how it's driven and servicing does.

Get a thorough inspection and GET A FULL FAULT CODE SCAN - you will be amazed at what faults you can't initially see but it can pick up, like all the airbags and abs disabled.... Well worth the £25-40.

Also - make sure EVERYTHING works, both remotes, all doors, speakers, ice cold air con etc. Get an HPI check online and it should have no rust unless been in an accident.

Greg.

Your intake is probably plugged. Have the intake and anit shudder valve cleaned out and also the ports in the head - use a vacuum so crud doesn't go in the engine. Have a blanking plate fitted to the egr so it is disabled and won't plug your intake again. Run a can of powerboost or similar though to de-oil and clean the intercooler and pipes. If that doesn't bring it back 100% and you haven't had a new MAF, probably a MAF will be required. Naturally make sure it's well serviced and have the timing checked by compuer - it does go out.

Greg.

At what millage roughly do the turbos tend to gewt sticky?? mines on 98,000 now and deosnt seem to pull aswell as it did when i first got it, turbo deosnt properly kick in untill 2000rpm+.

My turbo went at 107k miles, a couple of weeks after I bought it. Had it all tested, new N75 etc, but ended up getting the turbo removed and reconditioned (like a new one, only a bit cheaper & more eco friendly!). Cost about £700 in all, bit of a bummer. Was so different once fixed though! Mine's now for sale BTW, change in circumstances means I don't need the car. Will put up an ad up in next day or so, looking for £3300 51 plate Elegance estate TDi, towbar & all the bells & whistles.

i will get it put on the computer i think, it had a new MAF when i bourght the car which was about 6 -7 months ago, had a induction kit fitted which has now been removed but that might not have helped :(

Thinking of selling the skoda, as iv had nothing but trouble with it and seems to be turning into a money burner, been offered a Pug 106 quicksilver..

Depends what you want to do, I'd be inclined to spend the money on servicing and improving the motor rather than pimping.... :D Seriously, if you look after them and get them right, they will last well. But there are a few out there with quite a few probs that need sorting. Sadly my friend has one! It will be a nice motor when it's sorted though (Climatronic, brakes, turbo).

Greg.

i will get it put on the computer i think, it had a new MAF when i bourght the car which was about 6 -7 months ago, had a induction kit fitted which has now been removed but that might not have helped :(

Thinking of selling the skoda, as iv had nothing but trouble with it and seems to be turning into a money burner, been offered a Pug 106 quicksilver..