cold mornings

My Fabia TDI 52 goes well with no problems other than one.

On cold morning, blow freezing, when I go to start it everything is normal, all the dash lights appear as normal, the heater will blow and wippers will wipe but the engine won't even attempt to start, not even a click.

If I leave it an hour or so and things warm up then its starts first time. It doesn't happen every freezing morning but never happens when its not really cold.

Anybody had a similar problem and what can it be?

Start by getting the battery tested. If that's OK, check the battery leads and engine earth are clean and tight. Then suspect the starter solenoid or ignition switch.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Hi guys,

Currently having an almost identical problem on my '02 Fabia 1.9TDi.

On cold mornings (e.g. -5C last night), she won't start. I turn the ignition key, wait for the dash lights to go out, and then attempt to start. I get the 'coughing' and some flickering from the dash, but not the splutter into life. I had an identical problem on my trusty Peugeot 205 which turned out to be the glowplugs. Had them replaced. Good as new.

The thing is, I hooked her up to a battery charger and when she was fully charged (which took a while) she started first time. I just wonder whether there's a drain on the battery somewhere, or whether this could instead be related to the alternator? I'm also experiencing the dreaded flickering headlights and dash lights syndrome, together with the cutting out of the power steering when close to full lock.

What does this sound like to you folks?

1) Replace the glowplugs. Is this easy to do myself? Got a Haynes manual :-)

2) New battery. How can I check?

3) Check battery leads and engine earth.

4) Starter solenoid.

5) Ignition switch.

Any help appreciated as we can't do without the car starting in every frost... this is Aberdeenshire....

Cheers,

Dave

im having the same problems mate im in aberdeenshire to im getting a new batterie this week my local skoda dealer tells me on the older models batterie detereration is a commonf fault and he sees yhis all the time through out winter time a new batterie should sort it hopefully

Hi guys,

1) Replace the glowplugs. Is this easy to do myself? Got a Haynes manual :-)

2) New battery. How can I check?

3) Check battery leads and engine earth.

4) Starter solenoid.

5) Ignition switch.

Any help appreciated as we can't do without the car starting in every frost... this is Aberdeenshire....

Cheers,

Dave

1) - can't help you there

2) - try somewhere like Kwik fit ,who have a battery tester ,and will also check charge rate for (usually ) nothing .

3) - problem I've found in past has been volts drop accross the solenoid contacts - from memory no more than 0.5v when starter turning .Older Lucas kit it was possible to get inside and polish up the contacts- Skoda - never even seen one .

5) - pass -possibly job for Auto electrician .

Diesel fuel gets less runny when it is cold, that is why the engine is fitted with fuel preheaters to heat the fuel and make it more viscous and easier to pump and ignite.

All diesel engines take more cranking to start in cold weather especially when the fuel is not preheated.

This extra cranking causes a drain on the battery power available.

Ensure the battery is in good condition, switch off all electrical systems (lights, heater fans, heated windscreens, heated seats, stereo etc) and leave the engine to run for 2 minutes before shutting down. This will allow the alternator to top up the charge to the battery.

When starting ensure that all electrical systems are switched off.

If you are running an 02 plate car with the original battery it is likely the battery needs replaced as it may not be holding its charge fully and this will become more apparent in cold conditions.

dgmiller17, it could be that the battery is only just up to the job, as diesels do need a good battery in cold weather. Clean battery leads and earth leads to the chassis & engine. Check the battery voltage and when the motors running check the charge rate.

You can check the glowplugs with a meter and check that there is a voltage from the relay to the plugs when the glowplug light is on.

Changing glowplugs is fairly easy, but be careful not to shear them off. Use some penetation oil before attempting to undo them.

Thanks for the good suggestions guys,

Just an update - I topped up the battery fully this afternoon, switched off all electricals (e.g. radio, lights, heated rear window, etc.) and tried to start to no avail. Ended up push starting her to get her going, and a 5 mile run was enough to bring her up to temperature. She started 1st time after sitting in a car park at 0C for an hour.

I'll get the battery and the glow plugs checked out. I'm not sure when the battery was last replaced, and it could be that it never has been. I've also read various other threads and forum posts which seem to suggest a connection between the alternator and the battery could also be at fault. Certainly that could explain other symptoms I've experienced.

We're due another frost tonight, so I hope she starts in the morning! Will keep the thread updated with the outcome of a visit to the garage.

Had the battery replaced on Thursday. Glowplugs were checked and found to be fine. Also had a pair of winter tyres fitted to the front axle, and the wheels balanced, and the difference in grip is phenomenal....

Had the battery replaced on Thursday. Glowplugs were checked and found to be fine. Also had a pair of winter tyres fitted to the front axle, and the wheels balanced, and the difference in grip is phenomenal....

So. How did she start after the new battery & a cold night ??

Dean