cabbie in a skoda

paddyd99

Hi all,

Just wanted to say hi. Im a cabbie here in the west of Ireland. Ive normally driven toytas and swear by them but decided to give skoda a go because of their legendry mpg. I bought a 2003 automatic 1.9tdi model. She is a lovely clean car with 74000 miles on her.When I went to see it she sounded a bit loud,not bad, just loud. The guy said it was fine and that it was the old passat engine and they were a little loud. I excepted that seeing as I was coming from a petrol car, I taught it was just me. He did the timing belt before I bouight it and he seemed like a genuine guy and he works in a local volkswagen garage so I bought it. Now heres the kicker...The mpg is terrible.....34 at best 26 at worst...Also every now and then when you go to start it she just will not fire.....turn over no problem, battery is fine, its like shes outa juice, then all of a sudden she will start and run perfectly fine. This was happening once evry 2 days at first but now it seems more frequent. Tonite when it started eventually it revved on its own a little and threw out alot of black smoke then ran perfecly. I hope I havent been sold a dud but **** happens....any ideas anyone?