Vrs TDI Towing fuel consumption

Hi to all Briskodians

Can any fello fast caravanners using Vrs 2.0 Tdi quote any average fuel consumption figures of their trips.

The van i will be getting is a bailey Pageant series 6, and some idea on a rough mpg would be good.

...bailey Pageant series 6....

The names of these things always make me :rofl:

Sorry for the non-constructive response - I'm sure someone can advise ;)

30 ish towing a Bailey Pageant Series 6 Majestic weighing in at 1170Kg.

Great towcar btw. Coped well with windy weather on Good Friday, though Alko shocks and Alko ATC on the 'van no doubt help.

Wifi-ing this from the 'van just now as we are on our Easter trip!

What Bailey are you getting? Our current one is our fifth Bailey!

A wee pic attached!

20324.attach

Well it was very windy on Good Friday when we made our way down from Aberdeenshire to Edinburgh. The ATC cut in a few times when particularly vicious side winds caught us. You just feel a slight tug as the brakes apply. We also have Alko shocks fitted to the 'van which helps with stability too. ATC is a great bit of kit and is worth the £400. I would imagine you would reap the benefits more on the Vendee than we do on the shorter Majestic. The Octy was very stable with our previous non ATC Bailey, but every little helps.

Used to get about 35mpg from our 2.0tdi Octy towing a Bailey Discovery 200 at 1150kg.

Now get about 27mpg from the Land Rover towing Bailey Pagent series 6 Britange at 1400kg.

We pull our Coachman at 1350 klg with our a5 140 dsg Elegance. Touring France we averaged 29mpg towing and 44 mpg solo over 2000 miles.You mention fast but as you know you can only keep to the speed limit so it really does not come into it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Have found this forum interesting so thought i would join in. I currently get 30+mpg towing a 1000kg lunar Zenith 4 with an Octavia sport TDI 140 but decreases to around 27+mpg if i cruse at 60+.

Brought the car just as the sport came out and had to wait 12 weeks delivery with options but realy wanted the VRS but only reports in the press at the time so thinking of changing to a VRS shortly but have just brought a new caravan Bailey Champagn. The car can pull 1400kg in the book the bailey has a MTLP of 1365kg just on limit i to have opted for the new ATC sytem so hopefully this should help is anyone towing a simular van with a skoda, if i change to the VRS do not know wheather to opt for the estate or saloon.

Hi Mal.

We opted for the estate purely because it was a wee bit heavier, the rear overhang is the same as the hatch so no difference there.

Shouldn't have a problem with the Champagne (but did you know Bailey are bringing out the Pageant Series 7 soon?), especially with ATC. I have ATC on my Majestic, as well as Alko shock absorbers. Never flinches, can't even feel lorries going past now.

More than pleased in the towing performance of the vRS.

Dunno how relevant this is, but I get 32mpg towing a 10-year-old Eldis Jetstream EX300 4/5 birth at 1100kgs, towing with a 2003 Octy Elegance PD130.

Hi Mal.

We opted for the estate purely because it was a wee bit heavier, the rear overhang is the same as the hatch so no difference there.

Shouldn't have a problem with the Champagne (but did you know Bailey are bringing out the Pageant Series 7 soon?), especially with ATC. I have ATC on my Majestic, as well as Alko shock absorbers. Never flinches, can't even feel lorries going past now.

More than pleased in the towing performance of the vRS.

we are getting a Pageant Vandee to replace our ranger.

we have been using a Mk1 elegance 130 as our previous tow car and were getting about 33mpg

Hmmmn - I wouldn't recommend towing that Van with an Octavia at all. True the VRS has acers of torque & will sure enough tow the van but you need to think about the weights.

You sould rearly tow no more than 85% of the kerbweight of the tow car which in this case is 1287kg (estate). The MIRO (unladen weight) of the van is 1215kg (2008 model), so add a spare wheel and you'll be over the 85%. If you fill the van to the maximum (MTPLM = 1420kg) you'll be way over a safe tow limit.

Even Skoda only rate the car for towing 1400kg max so with a MTPLM of the van being 1420kg you will invalidate warranties, be uninsured and illegal.

Hell I dont want to be jack knfied on the motorway with a wrecked car and van, effectivly uninsured with the family in the car, hence us upgrading to a Skoda Superb PD140 to tow a lowly van of only 1340kg (gross) which is only a little over the 85% of the cars weight.

Be carefull

Hmmmn - I wouldn't recommend towing that Van with an Octavia at all. True the VRS has acers of torque & will sure enough tow the van but you need to think about the weights.

You sould rearly tow no more than 85% of the kerbweight of the tow car which in this case is 1287kg (estate). The MIRO (unladen weight) of the van is 1215kg (2008 model), so add a spare wheel and you'll be over the 85%. If you fill the van to the maximum (MTPLM = 1420kg) you'll be way over a safe tow limit.

Even Skoda only rate the car for towing 1400kg max so with a MTPLM of the van being 1420kg you will invalidate warranties, be uninsured and illegal.

Hell I dont want to be jack knfied on the motorway with a wrecked car and van, effectivly uninsured with the family in the car, hence us upgrading to a Skoda Superb PD140 to tow a lowly van of only 1340kg (gross) which is only a little over the 85% of the cars weight.

Be carefull

The 85% rule is only a Guide it is perfectly safe to tow at 100% or above, if within the limits of the tow vehical.

If the 'van has a MTPLM of 1420kg, you can tow legally at 1400kg with a car rated at 1400kg max tow, we looked into this when we had our mk2 oct'y.