Recommend new stereo/speakers for 53 vRS?

Hi folks, I'm new here. Be gentle ;-)

I bought a red vRS estate last summer, and I am 99% delighted with it - two minor things bug me though: (1) is the lack of rear door-lights (an odd one) - not normally something that'd bother me but we have a toddler and therefore need to put him into his seat which is in the back, and it can be difficult to see when it's dark. Anyway... on to (2) which is that the stereo sucks in a major way. No bass, and what bass there is is flappy, loose and ill-defined, combined with spitty, ugly treble and all of this makes me suspect that the speakers are either very very poor, or toast.

As we've decided to keep the vRS for at least another four years, I don't mind spending some money on a new stereo. I will be honest and state for the record that I normally regard anyone spending money on a new stereo for a car to be a bit silly (given that it adds no value, tends to be the preserve of the unwashed ****/boy-racer (IME) and, hey, do you really need it that loud? I SAID, DO YOU REALLY NEED IT THAT LOUD???)

However, in this case we have an effectively useless stereo.

I reckon I feel comfortable spending up to £200 to include fitting if possible, and I'd like to press both the stock cd autochanger AND a third gen iPod that I have into music duties, plus replace those speakers. Don't need or want a sub, don't need or want 5.1 'dobbley' digital, DVD playback, teasmade, etc.) However, I'd love to be able to control that iPod without ever having to see it (so that I can hide it in t'glovebox).

What's worth considering? I'm a stone's throw from Edinburgh so any local knowledge as to a place to go?

Ta muchly,

john

As a start disconnect your rear tweeters as all of us Octavia drivers do.

Gets rid of the horrible treble in your ears.

Just undo the plugs on the back of the rear speakers.

• 3 weeks later...

Johnny-boy - good to sees you!

I just had a Sony BT2600 fitted - mainly for the hands-free capability - but I'm finding the bass throught the OEM speakers is crap.

I'll let you know if I get any ideas...

Jake

You can pick up a cheap Ipod headunit for about £120 these days (Kenwood or JVC, something like that), but beware, some of them claim to be "Ipod ready" but you then have to buy an extra adaptor for the Ipod to plug in...

If you want to use the stock CD changer you'll need an adaptor cable (which may not be cheap) and check whether the head unit you buy will support a CD changer.

Are you replacing just the front speakers or all of them?

id replace the HU, front Speakers, and purchase a small amp (2 channel). as said disconnecting rear tweet will help a lot.

possibly wortwhile buying one bit at a time and seeing if its what you want or wether you want more definition etc.

looking on talkaudio.com may help you as theres a lot of experience there and theyre very helpful. if your willing to shop around you could easily do the above within you budget.

Here you go mate get this

Car Audio Direct - Alpine CDE-9880R - CD Player

Its the updated version of mine. You can get the iPod cable for an extra £15 and all i did was drill a hole in the side of the glove box to install it in there.

Job done and now sounds a lot better

Regarding the rear interior lights you can fit the rear one's from a Galaxy/Sharan/Alhambra where the rear grab handles are and connect them up to the interior light in the front.

Have a look here for how to add the connections to the interior light.

Did this myself and it was well worth it!