1.8 TSI Elegance Estate

Hi, I've just joined this forum.

I'm looking to buy the above model but there does not seem to be a great deal of discussion around the 1.8 TSI engine - I understand it's relatively new. This seems like a compromise between performance and reasonable economy, but I have only seen the 'facts and figures' in the Skoda brochure., so am I missing something? Does anyone own or has driven a model with this engine? What's it like to drive compared to the 2.0 diesel?

Also, I'm looking at the Elegance trim and want the leather upholdstery. The full leather upholstery is quoted at £1400, but for £1500 you seem to be able to get the 'Luxury pack' which includes the leather upholstery and a load of other extras, so this would seem a no-brainer - or again, am I missing something? Part of the luxury pack is an upgrade to 'Lyra' alloys - I can't seem to find these in the Skoda brochure - does anyone have a picture of them?

Many thanks in anticipation!

Loz

If i were you id go for the 1.8 TFSI L&K. They come with near enough everything as standard including leather seats.

I was having a nosy at one of these in simpsons the other day and i was quite tempted. if they did it with a 2.0 TFSi i would defo have one

The 1.8tfsi got a cracking review in Auto Express, it was up against the new Mondeo.

I think if you go on their website you can read old road reports if your interested?

ATB, Jon.

From the performance figures given in the brochure, the 1.8T holds peak torque over a broader rev range:

1.8 TSI: 250 NM/1,500-4,200rpm

2.0T FSI: 280 NM/1,800rpm

How this translates to real-world driving I cannot say! Maybe others can?

How this translates to real-world driving I cannot say! Maybe others can?

I test drove both motors (in Octavias). The 1.8 was quieter and more "civilised" (lovely engine :thumbup:), the 2.0 (in a vRS) was more "urgent" when you got up it, but still pretty relaxed when pootling. IIRC the 2.0 still had a tad more grunt at low revs.

I ended up ordering a vRS as I liked the seats and std kit and ride/suspension handling compromise better. Didn't have a chance to drive an optioned up 1.8 (leather sports seats, sports suspension, 18" wheels and tyres) so don't know whether I would have been tempted or not.

A few 1.8 Octy owners in Oz have been highly complimentary.

I too seriously considered a 1.8TFSI engine in perhaps a Sport or L&K... but they simply haven't been round long enough for me to afford them.

By all accounts its a very nice engine I imagine. :)

picking mine up from dealer today. This is a wonderful engine! Smooth, punchy, flexible in all gears and economical. She's all class!

So rym - how did 1st day with the new toy go ??? :thumbup: or :thumbdwn: :D

Yes, Rym, would be really interesting to find out your first thoughts on the car - but I suppose you're too busy using it at the moment! :thumbup:

Also, thanks everyone who's commented so far in this thread - it's been very helpful - so glad I joined this forum and I can feel a purchase coming on shortly.

Loz

I have just had the pleasure of a test drive in an Octavia 1.8 TSi. Strangely it was a 'Sport' model - which is no longer available. The engine is very nice and the car drove very well. It was quite refined on the bumpy country lanes that form my commute, and very quiet on a short motorway run. The engine is almost silent at idle and very smooth over the entire rev range. It pulls from low revs and seems to go on for ever when you put your put down. The trip computer registered 37.6 mpg for the test run, which was done over a mixture of roads. Some of the interior plastics felt a bit tacky, but I generally do not spend much time 'touching' a car. I am seriously considering replacing my Lexus IS200 with an L&K TSi, rather than going for a new IS250.

There is a new review of Octavia 1.8 TSI Elegance ... It can be found at following location Skoda Octavia Elegance 1.8 TSI : Road Test : Review : Motoring : Web Wombat

I ADVISE AGAINST VISITING THIS LINK

My PC HDD goes into warp factor I.E. going mad & slowing up nearly everthing else every time I hit this Page! I'm sure the page contains spyware or similar.

My PC HDD goes into warp factor I.E. going mad & slowing up nearly everthing else every time I hit this Page! I'm sure the page contains spyware or similar.

I did not have any trouble when I went there :confused::confused:

Neither I nor quite a few of my friends that I sent link to had any problems.,,

• 1 month later...

Well, I've now placed the order:D

1.8 TSI Elegance Estate in anthracite grey with luxury pack, ESP, Xenons and factory fitted towbar - just got to be patient now:(

Any recent owners of the 1.8 TSI engine out there? Is the engine fun and what sort of MPG are you getting?

All views welcome:)

Thanks

Loz

Well, I've now placed the order:D

1.8 TSI Elegance Estate in anthracite grey with luxury pack, ESP, Xenons and factory fitted towbar - just got to be patient now:(

Any recent owners of the 1.8 TSI engine out there? Is the engine fun and what sort of MPG are you getting?

All views welcome:)

Thanks

Loz

An extra £130.00 would've got you the L&K model based on the options you've ordered (excluding the towbar). That extra £130.00 would include Curtain Airbags (£280.00 on their own), auto lights to go with the auto wipers and 17" alloys. ;)

An extra £130.00 would've got you the L&K model based on the options you've ordered (excluding the towbar). That extra £130.00 would include Curtain Airbags (£280.00 on their own), auto lights to go with the auto wipers and 17" alloys. ;)

Yes, I looked at the L&K but Skoda wouldn't supply it with the black leather and I didn't like the white leather or alcantra, so that put paid to that.

Also I like the more understated look of the Elegance with a fairly powerful engine - should be able to fool a few people at the lights:D