pd160, cleaned KnN = crap mpg

Hiya guys and gals,

yesterday i spent ages cleaning my KnN with proper cleaner kit and fitting my PD160, all seemed fine, (had a oem filter in for a while)

run fine yesterday took it round the block twice no issues,

come to it this morning to go out to take the dog up the fields and as i pull onto the main road the mpg starts to register and instead of starting in the mid teens it started at 8mpg, and got a bit better, didnt think much more and put it down to the snow, lol

goes out for dinner, a run out from newcastle under lyme to buxton, a good 15-20 journey and open roads 60 most of the way and in 6th,

the best mpg i got was 41mpg, same on the way back and that was mostly 40 in 5th

when i refitted my KnN i reoiled with the spray and reconnected my maf which i unplugged when i fitted the pd160,

have i cooked my maf by oiling both sides of the KnN with too much, could i have knocked it,

car seems to be a little sluggish but not too bad,

any one got any suggestions

thanks

Rob

...car seems to be a little sluggish but not too bad, any one got any suggestions...

If you suspect its the MAF, unplug it again and if the mpg doesn't get any worse, its a likely candidate.

If you suspect its knackered, try cleaning the MAF probe(s) with isopropyl alcohol before buying a replacement.

You might also try coating the MAF male and female electrical connectors with Servisol silicone grease (Maplins, etc.).

BTW, personally, I only oil the "dirty" side of a panel filter, as previiously suggested.

right run a copy of vag com no faults, as to be expected with MAF but wanted to make sure

checked it on a car park and thought i would disconnect the MAF sensor and before i got off the car park it was like someone had removed my remap,

plugged the MAF back in and went for a 10 mile drive down a dual carridge way, 50mph in 6th and the best i got was 38.9mpg

going to clean the MAF itself tomorrow and hope its nothing else,

was fine until i did the pd160 mod and cleaned that stupid filter, so wish i hadnt,

prob could do with a MAF anyway but i wanna make sure its that before i replace parts and i miss my MPG,

any more info would be much much appreciated

Rob

remember with the pd160 your adding more cold air, so it wouldnt have had this amount before with the original in place. In the long run its a mod to improve airflow, but it does sound weird that its sluggish, MAF's really hate oil/water. I killed loads on the ibiza cupra i had. If you have anyone local to you swap with their maf and see if it improves

came to work in it this morning and managed to get the mpg up to 60 after a 25 mile run up the m6 behind a hgv in the slow lane at 55mph,

the mpg figs just dont pick up the same and its bothering me,

might try cleanign the MAF later on,

anyone else had this prob after fitting the pd160, surely it cant be this effecting the figures,

they only seem to go up in .1 incriments rather than full figure jumps like before,

Getting 60mpg is about what I get. I normally get less though (around 45 average). But this isn't down to the PD160 and k&n, it's down to where and how I drive. Maybe you've changed your driving style without realising?

i thought yesterday it was how i was driving but i was being meticulous with gear changes and not revving above 2.5k if that,

on the same run to work i'm up to 68-72mpg,

have put the standard paper filter in now though,

anyone want to buy a KnN, lol