Mongrel headswap progress thread

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cam situation is to be investigated. Now wrapped up for Allard to look at. As for the car! WOW! It feels a lot faster now, even with just bedding it in and only running on diesel (lpg tank empty) - Seems it may have been blowing before but definitely isn't now. Is really nice! :cool:

The final lot of pics.

I put in the final two tappets & bearing shells myself. Cam offered up.

DSCN1999.jpg

5 "blocks" to hold the cam down put in and bolted down.

DSCN2000.jpg

Rockers get bolted on top too. :)

DSCN2001.jpg

And the head pretty much ready now for fitting on to the block.

DSCN2002.jpg

Head placed on the block, sweet as a nut.

DSCN2003.jpg

And bolted down! These are tough little bolts! :cool: 40Nm, then 60Nm, then two successive 90 degree turns!

DSCN2004.jpg

Cambelt gets put on, and....

DSCN2005.jpg

... the injectors are setup using a dial gauge to ensure rockers at lowest point

DSCN2006.jpg

Cam cover gets mated to its new head for the first time

DSCN2007.jpg

and the turbo and inlet are bolted on firmly. :)

DSCN2008.jpg

To pass the time I'd been painting bits of the inside of my car silver! :rofl:

DSCN2010.jpg

Silver t'is!

DSCN2011.jpg

Much of the engine connected up now!

DSCN2012.jpg

And although not obvious, the engine is ticking over in this shot! Water cap off as it was sucking water through quick! Needed even more when I'd got back from the first test drive.

DSCN2013.jpg

Overall I'm very impressed with the work done, and the overall results at the end. Just cannot wait to dyno this thing! :D

so whats actually changed then J? back to standard cam, ported and polished head and whats changed with the injectors exactly?

All the above, but the injectors are R783 nozzles - +25% more fuel over standard pd130 nozzles. Basically means if I want a load more fuel I can, but at the moment it seems like general driving is not affected. I got 57mpg on diesel alone this morning coming to work (ran out of lpg last weekend) so I don't think normal economy will be affected.

Once I'm happy with the performance and it's all settled down I'll do some videos. ;)