Mongrel headswap progress thread

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm just hoping you dont have the same problem as me, which is head without oil on the crankshaft etc - mine was shot due to overheating only at the top-end :(

That wouldn't be good. If that is the case you might want to reconsider the oil you are putting in and fit an oil cooler to your car.

This is where my oil pressure gauge might be very handy. Should tell me when there are pressure issues. :)

The head was definitely well smothered in the stuff when first opened up. The pics halfway through my first lot of pics shows this. :)

Anyway - looks like I'm personally picking up the 2 last tappets at 8am tomorrow, so I should have a running engine by end of play tomorrow. :D Day booked off work to be here and help out where I can. :thumbup:

Well, as I mentioned above using the other account, progress today was basically nil. :( My oil pressure sender was replaced. My injectors aligned and torqued down, and thats about it. :( Oh well, tomorrow should be better

The mess that IS my engine bay at the moment! :rofl:

DSCN1991.jpg

A quick close up of the probe placement for my EGT gauge. Nice and close to the turbo, as it should be. :cool:

DSCN1992.jpg

The new cam as it arrived and was unwrapped. :cool:

DSCN1993.jpg

Injectors in and torqued up. my SIX :rolleyes: tappets were installed and the shell bearings put in (apart from the ones where the 2 missing tappets will go....)

DSCN1994.jpg

Having no head meant easier access to my chopped off AC pipework. Was able to unbolt it right off the bulkhead and remove every single bit of pipework. Much cleaner. :cool: (and about 200 grams lighter :rofl::o )

DSCN1995.jpg

I rarely run with back seats. :) Just taken a shot of one of my old tappets. That surface (as any techie should know :D i.e. not me :o) is meant to be super smooth and not a blemish in sight. Ummmm, there's have been well "tapped"

Edit: Tried taking it without the flash. :) Much better. :cool:

DSCN1997.jpg

Well, good news is the supplier had the 2 missing tappets in, so once the garage has finished sticking a fuel pump in a 406 HDI, it will be down to my fabia. :) Although I was competant enough to stick the 2 tappets in myself, and tap the other two shell bearings into place gently.

PS: Jason here by the way - accountant, not mechanic. :rofl:

good job mate will u be looking at any gains once new head is on

Nah. Everyone knows the only way to get real power gains is by the liberal addition of '16v' badges and tinted windows...

:sofahide:

Seriously, though, I'm looking forward to the day the mongrel rolls up onto that dyno! :D

Head is back on now. :) All torqued up. Cambelt and bits are on the side. :) Just got to check the timing, and the settings of the adjustment screws on the nozzles (tricky buggers!)

Head turns at least by turning the crank, and I can hear wooshing and stuff. Hoping now it's just a couple of hours work getting the bits put back on and the liquids re-filled. Oh, and an oil change at the end too. :)

Do you have an oil cooler on the mongrel Jason?

Aside from the integral one in the stock oil filter housing, no. Something to consider later, but I don't seem to have issues with high oil temps when pushing it.

Progress: Turbo on, inlet on, and pump going on. But an old dear just showed up in a metro with a flat tyre so SOS, tools down, gone to help her temporarily. :D