Tyre milage Octy VRS II petrol

It would be interesting to have the tyre manufacturers' opinion on the matter of swapping tyres.

Their general opinion, if replacing only two tyres, is to put the new ones on the back.

I have read this in many articles in the motoring (fleet) press and also as advised by my local tyre retailer.

I'd put my best tyres on the front on a front-wheel drive car. With so much of its weight on the front wheels a very large percentage of work is done by the front wheels, and when braking weight transfer puts even more of your cars total weight on the front (that's why they call FWD cars bum-draggers :) ). Also ABS and ESP should be helping you out if things get a bit tricky.

I try very hard not to find out which end of my vehicle is going to let go first, especially in the wet - I've seen the results in other peoples cars and it isn't at all pretty.

I think the tyre places recommend mounting on the rear as it is the lowest common denominator approach (works OK for most).

Erm....37000 on original Pilots and not down to wear indicators! Fronts 2-2.5mm, rears 3-3.5mm. Bit skittish in the wet but lease company won't replace them until they are down to the limit.:o

Erm....37000 on original Pilots and not down to wear indicators! Fronts 2-2.5mm, rears 3-3.5mm. Bit skittish in the wet but lease company won't replace them until they are down to the limit.:o

Traction control off, foot down, dump the clutch. :rofl::D

HTH:P

A few doughnuts required IMHO.

Thing I now can't get my head around is how you can get 37,000 miles from a set of Michelin Pilot (Sports) yet other can't even make it to 10,000 miles!!!

A few doughnuts required IMHO.

Thing I now can't get my head around is how you can get 37,000 miles from a set of Michelin Pilot (Sports) yet other can't even make it to 10,000 miles!!!

Pilot Primacy's. Harder compound? Not renowned for being light on the right boot! Plenty of motorway miles though.

Pilot Primacy's. Harder compound? Not renowned for being light on the right boot! Plenty of motorway miles though.

Yes; Primacys are known as a 'mileage' tyre for Sport Saloon/Hatchs etc.; but they are not a 'sport' tyre proper.

That's the Pilot Sport PS2 on which you'd expect to get, say, 25% less miles but a whole lot more grip!

I must drive like an old man in that case as I got... wait for it......26k out of my Conti 2's (18") on the front and they were not down to the wear markers either. Rears are still hanging in there although they are down to about 4.5mm now. I think its because I do a lot of motorway miles although I have had a Bluefin active for the last 8k (petrol vRS).

Just put come Conti 3's on the front, lets hope they last as long!!

ATB, Jon.

Well after 4k my Falken 452s are about half worn!!! :eek: They are seriously good tyres though! :thumbup:

The Pilot Premacys on the back look like they will last forever! :)