Advice/info required - vRS TDi remap/tuning box

I'll be bringing in a chunk of wedge at the end of the month, and after buying some bits i want and sorting some stuff out, i was considering using the remaining to get a treat for the vRS.

I am after an ECU upgrade device, be it remap or tuning box, to up the power

However, it has to be removable and able to be swapped from OE to Mapped easily for services etc, so not mapped onto the ECU itself (incase of dealer updates etc)

I know of the following, but dont know too much about them really, so after advice on that, and anyone with experience of them's opinions?

- Superchips Bluefin

- Dragon Digital Tuning Box

Also, if anyone know of any others, it'd be appreciated.

Bluefin seems popular for the TDi at the moment. Given the DPF issues I'd be wary of the Tuning Box route at the moment.

REVO is another one of the switchable types but you need to buy a switch or know somone that has one.

Doesn't the Bluefin plug into the diagnostics port in the footwell?

If so then surely it must carry out some sort of ECU flash to increase power :confused:

The Dragon box is hard wired down stream of the ECU so therefore completely undetectable.

I looked at the Bluefin some time back but wasn't 100% confident it wouldn't be traced.

Yes the Bluefin actually flashes the firmware on the ECU each time you load/unload the SW. The early ones didn't reset the flash counter however I am told that the newer ones do.

Differance between Dragon type boxes and a remap is that a remap will also increase air flow as well as fuel, Dragon simply over fuels.

I have the superchips bluefin since today. If it is traceable then I will know it as soon as next friday. My Octi will be in for a checkup, because I think my airmassmeter is faulty.

I will restore the original data on thursday, first I want to drive it for a week.

Will also readout the faultcodes before (I do have VAG-COM ;)).

My decision to go for the bluefin is, that I can always restore the original data if I want to (everytime before the car goes to the dealer). And play it back on if the car comes back.

The data is transmissioned over the diagnostics port, ie flashing the ECU. The bluefin stores the original data.

This is how it works:

You upload the original data in the bluefin. Then you sent the data to SuperChips, they will sent you (within 8 hours on working days) the changed data for your car. This is uploaded into the bluefin.

After this, you just change the uprated data in your cars ECU.

Now go for a spin and :D

In the JKM forum I already wrote a smal post with my expiriences.

The flash counter was my main concern. If the newer ones can reset it then this makes the Bluefin a tempting proposition :rubchin:

As already discussed, I for one wouldn't risk a Dragon box with a DPF given the amount of clag that gets produced when running one. I know from experience with my old PD130 :revs: :blackkey:

• 2 weeks later...

Here is an update on the Bluefin.

After a little trouble flashing the car back to original (the bluefin didnt want to communicate with the car), I tried it again today and everything went well.

I did it as a test, because my car has to go back to the garage one day for a checkup on the power loss after the engine update 28E1.

After it got flashed back, I immediately flashed the superchips data back to the ECU.

Now the downside of the story. Checked the ECU afterwards with my VCDS (the new name for VAG-COM) and found out, that the car had had 4 succesfull flashes.

This means the three times I flashed it are recorded and not resetted.

The car is running very good with the superchips data, runs ever better. Already managed a 4600 in 6th on a slight downhill part of the autobahn (almost 250km/h speedo which was 242 GPS km/h).

Acceleration in 6th gear is a blast (especially from 140 onwards).

I'll be bringing in a chunk of wedge at the end of the month, and after buying some bits i want and sorting some stuff out, i was considering using the remaining to get a treat for the vRS.

I am after an ECU upgrade device, be it remap or tuning box, to up the power

However, it has to be removable and able to be swapped from OE to Mapped easily for services etc, so not mapped onto the ECU itself (incase of dealer updates etc)

I know of the following, but dont know too much about them really, so after advice on that, and anyone with experience of them's opinions?

- Superchips Bluefin

- Dragon Digital Tuning Box

Also, if anyone know of any others, it'd be appreciated.

Dont bother with the above tunning products go for a revotec ecu update totaly undetectable by dealers, Dealers faultfinding equipment works on revo. ECU updates do not affect revo. I work at a skoda dealer and have a revo on my 2007 oct vrs no issues with revo only good things to say. You can also get a switchable revo unit to switch between stock and performance how good is that!:thumbup:

Dont bother with the above tunning products go for a revotec ecu update totaly undetectable by dealers, Dealers faultfinding equipment works on revo. ECU updates do not affect revo. I work at a skoda dealer and have a revo on my 2007 oct vrs no issues with revo only good things to say. You can also get a switchable revo unit to switch between stock and performance how good is that!:thumbup:

Errr, not entirely accurate.

Undetectable by the dealer? Depends how hard they try to look and certianly detectable further up the chain.

And ECU updates do not affect REVO?! :rolleyes:

A number of people I know have had to revisit the REVO dealer after the car has been in for a service and an ECU update has been carried out hence wiping their Revo map.

Other maps (such as Superchips) also allow switching between multiple maps.

Lee

So you favour REVO then :rofl:

Don't believe you. As has been said many times on here, any dealer can find the evidence of aftermarket tuning gear. It just depends how far they want to look!!

Don't believe you. As has been said many times on here, any dealer can find the evidence of aftermarket tuning gear. It just depends how far they want to look!!

Yes, so tou pay you money and take yer choice. Life is full of risks eh?

Rgs

Chris

Here is an update on the Bluefin.

After a little trouble flashing the car back to original (the bluefin didnt want to communicate with the car), I tried it again today and everything went well.

I did it as a test, because my car has to go back to the garage one day for a checkup on the power loss after the engine update 28E1.

After it got flashed back, I immediately flashed the superchips data back to the ECU.

Now the downside of the story. Checked the ECU afterwards with my VCDS (the new name for VAG-COM) and found out, that the car had had 4 succesfull flashes.

This means the three times I flashed it are recorded and not resetted.

The car is running very good with the superchips data, runs ever better. Already managed a 4600 in 6th on a slight downhill part of the autobahn (almost 250km/h speedo which was 242 GPS km/h).

Acceleration in 6th gear is a blast (especially from 140 onwards).

Hi, I am contemplating the Bluefin myself - but the part about the number of flashes not resetting is a bit of a worry, did you tell Superchips about this and if so what did they say?

Otherwise it sounds like a great piece of kit :D

Regards

Chris