How to Dismantle 'Tavia Front Grill

stathap

Gutted to miss the cone dodging today 'cause I had to work... so I thought I would do some constructive (or not) stuff to the car this afternoon.

Here goes...

1. Remove grill from car using standard hex bit x8

2. Place your shiny grill on a work bench and re-consider what you are about to do... a cup of tea helps here.

241-med.jpg

3. Drill out 6 no. rivets as shown

242-med.jpg

4. Using a flathead screw driver, some firm pressure and love.... push out the silver coloured tabs which remove the entire chrome part of the grill

243-med.jpg

5. Here's the grill in two parts

244-med.jpg

6. Here's the badge off

245-med.jpg

7. And here it is in it's first two coats of primer

246-med.jpg

Many many top coats of Black Magic and laquer to follow tomorrow along with the fun of buying a rivet gun and trying to re-assemble the whole sha-bang without scratching anything!

Has anyone attempted to replace the actual grill bit with mesh?

I know you can buy a replacement mesh grill but they seem to protrude a wee bit further than the standard one.

Cheers - Si

The mesh is sandwiched between the outer chrome part and the inner black part. No bonding or anything required. Make the mesh slightly bigger than the hole and then it is held in place by the grill itself. :thumbup:

Unfortunately, there is no cut out. I origionally done the mesh in silver and the cutout was too obvious. Probably wouldn't show too much with the black, but never got round to cutting the hole. I have to wedge my hand up behind the grill to pull the lever. Oh the joys of being thin. :D

The mesh is sandwiched between the outer chrome part and the inner black part. No bonding or anything required. Make the mesh slightly bigger than the hole and then it is held in place by the grill itself

Not so sure if it would be as simple as that on an octy. Grill seems to be held in by little clips round the edge rather than sandwiched in.

Anyone got any bright ideas?

Not so sure if it would be as simple as that on an octy. Grill seems to be held in by little clips round the edge rather than sandwiched in.

Anyone got any bright ideas?

Give AAT a call.....Erik has a mesh insert for the Octy...

• 2 months later...

looking at doing this to mine,what do you reckon colour code yellow or black?

black would make the grille look bigger than it is,or would that look pants??

btw any problems painting directly onto the chrome?does it need sanding doen to get a good bond?