pollen filter

It's under the tray at the passenger side below the windscreen

DSCF0029.JPG

DSCF0019.JPG

DSCF0028.JPG

The plastic tray clips in along its top edge - remove it by lifting the top edge perpendicular to the windscreen.

These can be a pig to get out and be careful - one member managed to crack his windscreen removing it :o

Make sure the clip attached to the screen is clean and free of dirst and grit before re-fitting.

• Like 1

the short answer is with difficulty, a lot of swearing and several skinned knuckles.

Broadly, open the bonnet, removet the rubber trim along the bottom edge of the scutle panel, prise up the scuttle panel on the passenger side and carefully remove the filter which is in a plastic frame and then reverse to fit the new one. I have found you need to pull slightly too hard to lift up the scuttle panel and the plastic frame thing only fits one way round.

Alterntively you can remove the windscreen wipers and then take out the whole scuttle panel for easier access but removing the wipers may be a battle.

Whichever method you use, warm up the scuttle panel with a hair-dryer before you do anything.

In this cold weather it is easy to crack the panel.

I've just changed a pollen filter today. I always remove the wipers. Get you fingers under the rubber seal on the windscreen and slide them along pulling the scuttle panel out of the groove. Don't use tools.

Hope you manage to get this job sorted mate... just one word of warning be very careful not to damage or displace the pollen filter housing!! I had a garage do a service on my car and they must have done something to the housing as afterward I had rain water coming through the underside of the pollen filter housing and dropping into the air vent pipework which in turn leaked into the passenger footwell. I had to put sealant and expanding foam around the base just to stop the water coming through and turning the left hand side of the car into an olympic sized swimming pool when it rained.

The garage also cracked my windscreen putting the scuttle panel back on... but I didnt notice it until I got home hence they denied all responsibility. So be carefull not too be too rough... Like RWBaldwin said "Don't use tools"

• 2 years later...

It's under the tray at the passenger side below the windscreen

DSCF0029.JPG

DSCF0019.JPG

DSCF0028.JPG

The plastic tray clips in along its top edge - remove it by lifting the top edge perpendicular to the windscreen.

These can be a pig to get out and be careful - one member managed to crack his windscreen removing it emoticon-0104-surprised.gif

Make sure the clip attached to the screen is clean and free of dirst and grit before re-fitting.

hello,

can anyone help me with the plastic part number that cover the pollen filter? both parts pls!

thanks!

• 1 year later...

cheers Mud!!  

Great vid, I'll give this a go later,gave up months ago trying to get the scuttle off.

Lucky find it was. Once the end part (near bonnet hinge) of the scuttle plate was freed without breaking, it was easier to remove. Even then, I didn't bother removing it completely: just enough to access the filters. Was so sure the scuttle plate was going to snap...by some miracle...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just for any future reads... 

I've done this a heap of times by lifting the scuttle panel up as far as it can go. There's enough room to get the old one out and new one in without having the trouble and fear of breaking things while you do it :) 

PS: I've got big hands and gentle is not in the vocabulary, yet manage to do this one no bother. 

Good luck! 

I've lifted it enough to change the pollen filter, twice as I remember.But I need to get it off completely now to try & find out if something's blocked up, as I have water ingress into the passenger footwell.

It doesn't get in if the drivers side is lower than the passenger side, so I'm hoping for something obvious, such as a knackered pollen filter seal or similar

• 3 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Just to say a big thank you for this thread. Just back from the car's service yesterday & found the interior fan making a really annoying sound. It was fiddly needless to say, but managed to remove the scuttle panel & brand new filter only to find a couple of leaves under it & hitting the fan. The joys of autumn!

This may be the last post for a while as coming back from the service, I was smacked from behind when I had to stop suddenly as the car in front decided at the last moment to let someone cross the road from a traffic island, it wasn't even a crossing! The guy behind didn't stop suddenly enough. :~/

With my rear bumper pushed in, I've got a nasty feeling that the insurers will want to write it off being a 12 year old Tdi. That's assuming they don't try to turn it into a 'no blame' accident which wouldn't surprise me.

Edited by rearadmiral