9 replies to this topic

#1 yegnold

yegnold

didn't burn him

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,948 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 06:41

After months of trying to diagnose a knock in the front (intermittent, but most noticable when going over lots of small bumps in quick succession), it was finally identified as the front anti roll bar bushes. They'd not split or cracked or anything but must have just been worn! The two new bushes were well under £20 from TPS and took only half an hour for me (a complete idiot) to fit.

After fitting these the suspension was quieter but not silent. The knocking over small bumps had completely gone but there was another knock (that was there before, but masked by the other noises). A few miles of driving and a couple of investigative bounces of the car while my dad was feeling around the suspension to find the knocking noise and it was identified as a *loose* - not worn - anti roll bar drop link. It was just loose at the bottom and so the bolt on the drop link was actually moving inside the bit of the strut to which it's attached. Tightened it up fully and now that knock has gone too.

Result = me driving around without the radio on to prove the point that the suspension is silent now. Sad huh? :) But blissful. Gotta love how easy this car is for me to work on :)

Unfortunately I noticed while looking around and servicing the front and rear brakes that the drivers side rear shock absorber is soaking wet in oil. A new pair of rear shocks (and bump stops) is next on the list, it seems. :)

#2 giandougl

giandougl

Baldy Guy

• FREEDOM
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,535 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 06:45

Dads really do have their uses.
Well done there, good bit of info.
Thanks.

#3 martinch

martinch

Briskodian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 761 posts
  • Car:Mk I Fabia 1.9TDI (PD100)

Posted 20 May 2010 - 07:31

Useful info, thanks. :)

Unfortunately I noticed while looking around and servicing the front and rear brakes that the drivers side rear shock absorber is soaking wet in oil. A new pair of rear shocks (and bump stops) is next on the list, it seems. :)

At least that won't be horrifically expensive (think they're about £35 + VAT each), and won't take more than an hour for each side :)

#4 Rob.

Rob.

It's GONE!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,963 posts
  • Car:94' 520i Touring

Posted 20 May 2010 - 10:42

Bushes can be so sneaky!

When I got my vRS it knocked at the front.. It was the same knock as when my console bushes went on my 1.4,

I told the mechanic, who looked and said.. nope, they're fine.. not them.. this happened a couple pf times over a year until after smacking a kerb I had the console bushes changed to cupra..

No more knocks..

So it seems to me bushes can look fine but be well on their way out!

#5 MoggyTech

MoggyTech

Briskodian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,869 posts
  • Car:Fabia VRS LE / Morris 1000 Traveler

Posted 20 May 2010 - 13:41

Well done, enjoy the silence :rofl:

#6 petesmith

petesmith

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 21:00

Do you guys know what size bushes are needed for a 2004 Fabia VRS? I have the same knocking noise an plan to fix it next weekend :) cheers guys

#7 pete_fabbie_vrs

pete_fabbie_vrs

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 434 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 22:07

I don't have a knock as such I have more creaking and seems to be when I pull of at low speeds not sure what it is but gotta find out soon

#8 mark.r.cullen

mark.r.cullen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 08:03

I had some evil knocking noises too. I recently had the 'dog bone mount' and the top gearbox mount changed and it seems to have helped a lot, but still not quite silent.

I might have to have a lookie at these anti roll bar bushes too. I've had the drop links replaced already... and already have the Cupra bushes.

#9 VRS-Badman

VRS-Badman

Finding my Feet

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
  • Car:Fab VRS

Posted 24 May 2011 - 21:43

I wish mine was as easy as tightening the link bolt but after reading a few posts its making me think...

My passenger side knocks its more of a metal to metal noise, its when i go over small bumps and cracks around 5-30 mph and does it real bad when going round roundabouts or turning right, when turning left its alot quieter...

Iv fitted the cupra bushes and new ball joints a while back, i have recently been under it 2 times with spanners checking everything is tight that is connected to the wheel and everything is rock solid...

Its getting worse by the months, any ideas? could it be the arb bush parts that are sandwiched in between the clasp and console? they did look healthy when i was under there though...

Thanks

Edited by VRS-Badman, 24 May 2011 - 21:44.

#10 Lew0-VRS

Lew0-VRS

Smokey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 686 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 21:54

Do you guys know what size bushes are needed for a 2004 Fabia VRS? I have the same knocking noise an plan to fix it next weekend :) cheers guys

part number i fitted 6Q0411314R

0 User(s) reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users