Bolero Radio, Bluetooth and Mobile Phones

Just bought a (May 2009, new shape) Octavia Elegance 2.0TDi. Its got the standard (not multifunction) steering wheel:

The radio head unit is the 'Bolero', and I want to understand my options for getting my mobile phone properly linked in.

The radio has an option to 'enable bluetooth', however under media "B/T" is greyed out.

Q1) How do I tell if I have the bluetooth hardware in the car or not?

Q2) If I've not got the Bluetooth module, is it something sensible to retro-fit. Any ideas of a budgetary price for the parts please? Will this be of use without the MF steering wheel?

Q3) (more of a statement than a question) I have recovered my old hands-free kit that I fitted myself to the old car (a Nokia CK-7W). Other option is to fit it in the new car. Just need power and mute connections for the Bolero, which I've already found on a Google search. I assume I can find a big enough void behind the dash to fit it.....

Just bought a (May 2009, new shape) Octavia Elegance 2.0TDi. Its got the standard (not multifunction) steering wheel:

The radio head unit is the 'Bolero', and I want to understand my options for getting my mobile phone properly linked in.

The radio has an option to 'enable bluetooth', however under media "B/T" is greyed out.

Q1) How do I tell if I have the bluetooth hardware in the car or not?

Q2) If I've not got the Bluetooth module, is it something sensible to retro-fit. Any ideas of a budgetary price for the parts please? Will this be of use without the MF steering wheel?

Q3) (more of a statement than a question) I have recovered my old hands-free kit that I fitted myself to the old car (a Nokia CK-7W). Other option is to fit it in the new car. Just need power and mute connections for the Bolero, which I've already found on a Google search. I assume I can find a big enough void behind the dash to fit it.....

Check whether there is control unit ( Interface box) under the front driver seat ( For RHD Vehicles), if it is present you have the Blutooth connectivity parts installed......otherwise Sorry !

Many posts on this forum suggest the FISCON Plus.

http://fiscon-mobile.com/products/rns_510.php?brand=skoda

I've only just got my car and I haven't fitted it myself. But when I ordered my car I did not order the factory bluetooth because posts on this forum list many problems with connecting new phones (iPhones and BlackBerries) using the factory system, whereas the FISCON product gets good reviews.

NB - If you don't have the Maxidot display you'll need the Plus not the Basic, as it is the Plus that uses the Bolero display. Also note that for a few Euros extra there is a special microphone that fits out of sight in the courtesy light unit.

Hope that's helpful - second hand information as I haven't done it myself, but it's the route I plan to take.

Edited by David P

I have fitted a Fiscon plus to my MY11 Octavia L&K. I can confirm it works well and is easy to control via the Bolero head unit. I have not had it coded to the car yet, therefore it is not controlled via the steering wheel controls.

One problem I had when fitting was using the supplied connectors, they just would not fit in the space available. In the end I simply soldered the wires into place - If I had done this in the first place it would have saved me 1.5 hours messing about trying to get the connectors into the space available.

I placed the microphone at the top of the A pillar, I know that fitting it in the roof hole would be more discrete, but the sound into the mic is sometimes compromised up there. You soon do not notice the mic on the A pillar and it does pick up your voice very well.

With regard the bluetooth on the Bolero display, this relates to sending music from you phone etc to be played via the head unit. My son got it working the other day and it sounded OK, but not a good a playing the music from the SD card - it does still need Fiscon or similar fitted!

Grim

Edited by Grim

I have fitted a Fiscon plus to my MY11 Octavia L&K. I can confirm it works well and is easy to control via the Bolero head unit. I have not had it coded to the car yet, therefore it is not controlled via the steering wheel controls.

One problem I had when fitting was using the supplied connectors, they just would not fit in the space available. In the end I simply soldered the wires into place - If I had done this in the first place it would have saved me 1.5 hours messing about trying to get the connectors into the space available.

I placed the microphone at the top of the A pillar, I know that fitting it in the roof hole would be more discrete, but the sound into the mic is sometimes compromised up there. You soon do not notice the mic on the A pillar and it does pick up your voice very well.

With regard the bluetooth on the Bolero display, this relates to sending music from you phone etc to be played via the head unit. My son got it working the other day and it sounded OK, but not a good a playing the music from the SD card - it does still need Fiscon or similar fitted!

Grim

regards the Fiscon is there any outlets in the midlands that fit these? Fancy one but don't fancy fitting it

• 3 weeks later...

*CONCLUSIONS*

Since starting this thread I've learnt many things about the Bolero radio. Here's a summary:

1) The Bolero radio / head-unit offers bluetooth functionality on the touchscreen. However the unit iteself it does not actually contain the bluetooth hardware.

2) If you have the Skoda (VAG) bluetooth part, it will be a box screwed to the floor under the drivers seat. I didn't have one on my 2009 Elegance, so I assume its only fitted as a chargeable extra.

3) However the official VAG part wouldn't be of any use to me, because my phone is on the UK 'Three' network. Put simply, the VAG part is a phone in its own right. It uses the rSAP protocol to 'borrow' the SIM card from your mobile via bluetooth. The '3' Three network blocks rSAP from its phones, so it won't work.

4) The part to buy is the FISCON 'Basic Plus'. New these cost circa £350 at present. I've just bought a second hand one off ebay. It works nicely (including with my '3' phone).

5) The 'Basic Plus' consists of:

i) A box of tricks, to fit behind the dashboard (mine is in the void behind the climate control buttons, below the radio).

ii) A short wiring loom (male plug at one end, female at the other, and with its own wires grafted into the middle, hence no splicing of vehicle wiring needed). This connects in to the wiring plug at the back of the Bolero head unit.

iii) A remote microphone to go high up (courtesy light or top of A-pillar).

6) I didn't need to do any recoding with VAG-COM. The Bolero and FISCON units found each other straight away. My understanding is that you only need to use VAG-COM if you want to use buttons on the steering wheel, or the multi-function display - neither of which I have. (The MF display is a dot-matrix panel between speedo and rev counter).

7) When installing, you get much better access if you also remove the top blower vents (those around the hazard warning switch). The awkward part is finding enough physical space to put the new wiring plug (where existing car wiring meets the FISCON wiring). It won't fit behind or above the radio. Best bet seems to be on the glovebox side, having cut some of the binding so the aerial wire has more slack from the loom.

8) In use, automatically, the phone book and call lists have been transferred from my phone. So now using the Bolero touch-screen, I can look for numbers in my phone addressbook, dial them (or dial manually from a touch-screen number pad), set a few preset buttons for favourite numbers. Basically everything you need :-)

Edited by casscat

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

I have just ordered a VW/Skoda RSAP Upgrade Kit from Fiscon. They have said it is a direct replacement for the RSAP module which is under the driver's seat. I can confirm there is a box under my seat, but I can see no obvious way to remove the plastic panel in front of it (under the front edge of the driver's seat)

Does anyone have any advice on how to do this. I was advised just to pull it, but it doesn't seem to be letting go!

*CONCLUSIONS*

Since starting this thread I've learnt many things about the Bolero radio. Here's a summary:

3) However the official VAG part wouldn't be of any use to me, because my phone is on the UK 'Three' network. Put simply, the VAG part is a phone in its own right. It uses the rSAP protocol to 'borrow' the SIM card from your mobile via bluetooth. The '3' Three network blocks rSAP from its phones, so it won't work.

This isn't strictly correct as you could have a GSM II OEM bluetooth fitted that would work fine with iPhone etc, but loses a little funtionality over the GSMIII kit (which is the version Skoda currently offer as an extra).