rSAP Bluetooth to HandsFree - Sucess!

There seems to be a 3C8 part number that is rSAP only, so be careful. My car was one of the first off the production line back in September 2008, and is definitely rSAP only.

However, the VAG-COM log shows the phone module as follows:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Address 77: Telephone

Control Module Part Number: 3C8 035 730

Component and/or Version: Telefon 2800

Software Coding: 0020121

Work Shop Code: WSC xxxxx

Having said all that, my car does seem to prove that the 3C8 and 5N0 part numbers are interchangeable.

Think I'm going to have to give this module swap a go, as I'm sick and fed up of waiting for either Apple or Google to implement rSAP. Let's be honest, it's going to be a long time before Nokia have a competitive smartphone again.

Andy.

Strangely on that note Nokia just announced they will use Windows 7 for their next smartphones !! Assume rSAP will be included as in all Nokias.

I am waiting the module to swap it over. The only thing is that rSAP does actually give a far better performance than plain handsfree in my area due to the enhanced signal....but whatever, the improved functionality is worth it anyway !

D

With the new module another added bonus RSAP seems far more stable and works better with added functionality.....a really worthwhile upgrade.....I wonder what the worth is of the old RSAP modules now.....probably not a lot!

Strangely on that note Nokia just announced they will use Windows 7 for their next smartphones !! Assume rSAP will be included as in all Nokias.

I am waiting the module to swap it over. The only thing is that rSAP does actually give a far better performance than plain handsfree in my area due to the enhanced signal....but whatever, the improved functionality is worth it anyway !

D

Just been reading about the Nokia stuff myself. Sounds like the last desperate act of a doomed man to me. What Nokia needed to do was join an ecosystem that had market share, and a useful base of apps. Windows Phone 7 has none of these things, and given Microsofts' track record in this area, probably never will.

A friend of mine recently left my current company and joined Nokia as a technology evangelist. His role was to try an encourage developers to get on the Nokia bandwagon. He stuck it out for about 6 weeks before leaving and coming back to his previous job (which he did at a significant pay rise.....b**stard!). From his time at Nokia, it was clear that the company had no direction. No part of Nokia's management had any idea about how to leverage the technology they have, or have the balls to ditch the stuff that wasn't working. At least this Elop guy is prepared to make bold moves. I just don't think it will work. Still, I'll be happy to be proven wrong.

As for rSAP in all Nokia handsets......I wouldn't bet on it. It may be superior technology, but the Maemo and Meego stuff wasn't going to support it, and currently Windows Phone doesn't either (from what I hear WP7 bluetooth is broken for even the basics, let alone rSAP). I guess that might change, but I think Nokia has plenty of other issues to solve first.

On a different note, I just had notification that my new module was posted yesterday. Hopefully, I'll get it for the weekend. I'm going to have a busy time, as I can finally fix the few flaws my car has:

1) Bluetooth compatibility with the iPhone.

2) 7 digit postcodes in the Columbus.

3) Full voice control of the Columbus.

The repair wires have now arrived at the local dealer, so I'm just dusting off the soldering iron for some loom surgery :-)

Finally, a big thumps up to ukcruiser for figuring out that this works.

Andy.

Did you actually take the drivers seat out - if so is it straightforward to do? or did you just move the seat as far back as possible?

Many Thanks

Dave

Hi Bill,

Yes, straight swop, 3x 10mm bolts holding it in, 1x Multi Connector, 1x Aerial Plug, no coding needed, works as it should.

I'm going to go take some photo's now. - will post online.

Al.

Photo's.

Remove Cover

DSC_1655.jpg

3x Bolts, 1x MultiConnector, 1x Aerial Plug

DSC_1653.jpg

Plug in new Unit (New unit already in, but old one on top as a size guide; exactly the same)

DSC_1654.jpg

Works on MFD as it should.

IMG-20110201-00192.jpg

And on Nav Unit.

IMG-20110201-00193.jpg

Done.

Phone still works as a phone for emails, texts etc - there is now an option on MFD for Audio Streaming from Bluetooth device - i havent tried this yet....

Just been reading about the Nokia stuff myself. Sounds like the last desperate act of a doomed man to me. What Nokia needed to do was join an ecosystem that had market share, and a useful base of apps. Windows Phone 7 has none of these things, and given Microsofts' track record in this area, probably never will.

A friend of mine recently left my current company and joined Nokia as a technology evangelist. His role was to try an encourage developers to get on the Nokia bandwagon. He stuck it out for about 6 weeks before leaving and coming back to his previous job (which he did at a significant pay rise.....b**stard!). From his time at Nokia, it was clear that the company had no direction. No part of Nokia's management had any idea about how to leverage the technology they have, or have the balls to ditch the stuff that wasn't working. At least this Elop guy is prepared to make bold moves. I just don't think it will work. Still, I'll be happy to be proven wrong.

As for rSAP in all Nokia handsets......I wouldn't bet on it. It may be superior technology, but the Maemo and Meego stuff wasn't going to support it, and currently Windows Phone doesn't either (from what I hear WP7 bluetooth is broken for even the basics, let alone rSAP). I guess that might change, but I think Nokia has plenty of other issues to solve first.

On a different note, I just had notification that my new module was posted yesterday. Hopefully, I'll get it for the weekend. I'm going to have a busy time, as I can finally fix the few flaws my car has:

1) Bluetooth compatibility with the iPhone.

2) 7 digit postcodes in the Columbus.

3) Full voice control of the Columbus.

The repair wires have now arrived at the local dealer, so I'm just dusting off the soldering iron for some loom surgery :-)

Finally, a big thumps up to ukcruiser for figuring out that this works.

Andy.

Okay, so that's two down. Just need to wait for the new module to arrive, and I'll be a happy camper.

Getting the fascia off the Columbus was about the only tricky thing in wiring up the voice control stuff. It's not clipped like the Octy and Yeti, so it took me a while to figure out how to remove it without breaking it. Once you know how, it's easy, though.

I've built a new version of the v7 DVD with PocketGPS POIs and speed cameras. All I want now is speed camera warnings, and the Columbus will be just about perfect. Roll on 38xx firmware and 7.1 maps.

One question though. Is is possible to change the coding so that the steering wheel button press on the volume activates the Columbus voice control, instead of the voice control in the bluetooth module? I've had a good search around, and I can't find anything that mentions this.

Andy.

I'm new to Skoda having just bought a 2009 Superb Elegance last week and new to this forum and would appreciate some help. I've read through this exchange of views and advice and would like some help with the jargon to ensure that I fully understand the solution proposed.

I have a Sony Ericsson K750i which connected with the Bluetooth on the car I've just traded in (NOT a Skoda) without any problems. When I tried to connect on the Superb the message was K750i incompatible. The dealer gave me a Skoda list of phones which are compatible, most of which are Nokia but it is difficult to find any of the models listed from any of the main retailers. I use O2 Pay as you Go. IT also seems that the phone must have rSAP mode active.

Your correspondence suggests that the problem lies with the Bluetooth unit installed by Skoda and that you are proposing it should be swapped for a replacement 3C8 035 730 A or N0 035 730 D unit which I can obtain on eBay.

Will someone please confirm that, it I buy this unit and substitute it for the one currently fitted;

a) it is simply a matter of unplugging and unbolting the old unit and replacing with the new one which bolts and plugs in exactly the same.

B) once the new unit is in place my current K750i (or any other new mobile I may choose to buy or my wife's LG A133) will connect straight away and the address book etc will appear on the Sat Nav screen as it did on my previo0us car?

It seems to me that this is a much simpler solution than having to search for and buy one of the models listed by Skoda which seems to have a shortlist of just a few models which work with the installed Bluetooth unit.

What does astound me is why the VAG Group do not install one of these proposed units as OE equipment in the first place and then anyone could use any mobile in the car without a problem. Looking at other forums on the internet Bentley, Audi and VW (all part of the VAG Group) all seem to have similar problems of Bluetooth compatibility so why don't they resolve the whole thing straight away by fitting one of these units?

Once I get confirmation from those with experience of installing one of these units I'll order one straight away.

This one problem apart, I'm delighted with the car in every other respect.

Will someone please confirm that, it I buy this unit and substitute it for the one currently fitted;

a) it is simply a matter of unplugging and unbolting the old unit and replacing with the new one which bolts and plugs in exactly the same.

B) once the new unit is in place my current K750i (or any other new mobile I may choose to buy or my wife's LG A133) will connect straight away and the address book etc will appear on the Sat Nav screen as it did on my previous car?

I'm not really sure how much more confirmation you need? This entire thread confirms that the new (Ebay-sourced) units do work and I have recently successfully installed my replacement 5N0 035 730 D by following the instructions posted here.

I've no knowledge or experience of your exact mobile models, but if both are Bluetooth, they will connect, provided that the mobiles are allowed to pair with the unit (put the mobiles into "Discovery" mode).

You might prefer to wait until you receive a reply from someone who actually owns identical mobiles to you, but you might have a very long wait, given the comparatively short turnover lives of mobiles nowadays. I went ahead and I'm delighted I did. I'm now ready for any kind of mobile I want to pair with the unit. :)

Ray

I'm new to Skoda having just bought a 2009 Superb Elegance last week and new to this forum and would appreciate some help. I've read through this exchange of views and advice and would like some help with the jargon to ensure that I fully understand the solution proposed.

I have a Sony Ericsson K750i which connected with the Bluetooth on the car I've just traded in (NOT a Skoda) without any problems. When I tried to connect on the Superb the message was K750i incompatible. The dealer gave me a Skoda list of phones which are compatible, most of which are Nokia but it is difficult to find any of the models listed from any of the main retailers. I use O2 Pay as you Go. IT also seems that the phone must have rSAP mode active.

Your correspondence suggests that the problem lies with the Bluetooth unit installed by Skoda and that you are proposing it should be swapped for a replacement 3C8 035 730 A or N0 035 730 D unit which I can obtain on eBay.

B) once the new unit is in place my current K750i (or any other new mobile I may choose to buy or my wife's LG A133) will connect straight away and the address book etc will appear on the Sat Nav screen as it did on my previo0us car?

It seems to me that this is a much simpler solution than having to search for and buy one of the models listed by Skoda which seems to have a shortlist of just a few models which work with the installed Bluetooth unit.

What does astound me is why the VAG Group do not install one of these proposed units as OE equipment in the first place and then anyone could use any mobile in the car without a problem. Looking at other forums on the internet Bentley, Audi and VW (all part of the VAG Group) all seem to have similar problems of Bluetooth compatibility so why don't they resolve the whole thing straight away by fitting one of these units?

Once I get confirmation from those with experience of installing one of these units I'll order one straight away.

This one problem apart, I'm delighted with the car in every other respect.

Hi Klapka,

As Ray has said, the new module is a simple drop in replacement. Your car will then support the bluetooth handsfree protocol (HFP) and remote sim access profile (rSAP). Previously, the old module only supported rSAP.

From a quick google, it looks like your K750i supports both the headset and handsfree profiles. However, it doesn't support A2DP, so you won't be able to stream music to the Columbus with it (this is the other major feature that the new bluetooth module brings).

All Superbs produced since September-ish last year have the new bluetooth module as standard, and therefore support most phones on the market. Previously, there were several different bluetooth modules on the Skoda parts list, the most popular of which were GSMII and GSMIII. GSMII only supported HFP, and the GSMIII only supported rSAP. Skoda UK opted for GSMIII, as they thought it was the better solution. Technically, it is, but in the real world, it's a pain in the backside.

Happily, Skoda (and VW) realised that they were losing a lot of business due to the fact that neither the iPhone or Android handsets worked, and came up with this new module.

Personally, I think that they should be offering it to drivers of older Superbs as an upgrade, but I don't think it will ever happen.

Andy.

• Like 1

My module arrived from Portugal, and it's a 5N0 035 730 D.

Installed and fitted fine. As others have said, it really is a drop in replacement. The new voice dialling stuff through the Columbus is very nice too.

However, I am having a couple of problems with mine...........

I'm using an iPhone4 with the module, and it pairs and make calls just fine. Its's just when I try and program my voicemail number into the 'Mobile box' quick dial entry, I see some weirdness.

I'm using a service called HulloMail, to replace the voicemail service offered by Vodafone. Their dial up number to access voice mail is 0121 xxx xxxx. Unknown to me, I actually had two entries in the iPhone phonebook for this number, one called HulloMail Service, and the other HulloMail Voice Portal. If I use either of these phone books entries to populate the quick dial, then it simply doesn't work. When you press the button, the phone dials the number, and connects, but the bluetooth module disconnects from the car. I tried removing one of the entries from the phone book, but it still doesn't work. The only workaround I've found is to manually input the number into the quickdial. Not a major problem, but it does suggest a bug somewhere in the bluetooth module/Columbus firmware.

The other issue (which I think is more major), is that my A2DP streaming isn't in stereo. I only get output from the right speakers when playing stuff using the iPod function in the phone. Has anyone else seen this? Is there a fix? I'm going to search some other forums, but was wondering if this is a known problem.

Andy.

Installed and fitted fine. As others have said, it really is a drop in replacement. The new voice dialling stuff through the Columbus is very nice too.

I'm using an iPhone4 with the module, and it pairs and make calls just fine. Its's just when I try and program my voicemail number into the 'Mobile box' quick dial entry, I see some weirdness.

I'm using a service called HulloMail, to replace the voicemail service offered by Vodafone. Their dial up number to access voice mail is 0121 xxx xxxx. Unknown to me, I actually had two entries in the iPhone phonebook for this number, one called HulloMail Service, and the other HulloMail Voice Portal. If I use either of these phone books entries to populate the quick dial, then it simply doesn't work. When you press the button, the phone dials the number, and connects, but the bluetooth module disconnects from the car. I tried removing one of the entries from the phone book, but it still doesn't work. The only workaround I've found is to manually input the number into the quickdial. Not a major problem, but it does suggest a bug somewhere in the bluetooth module/Columbus firmware.

The other issue (which I think is more major), is that my A2DP streaming isn't in stereo. I only get output from the right speakers when playing stuff using the iPod function in the phone. Has anyone else seen this? Is there a fix? I'm going to search some other forums, but was wondering if this is a known problem.

Andy.

Okay. Found the problem. Some wires missing. Namely:

4 Audio RF Signal Out + connected to be connected to pin 11 con 3

5 Audio RF Signal Out – connected to be connected to pin 5 con 3

Just off to take the car apart again....... :-(

Okay. Found the problem. Some wires missing. Namely:

4 Audio RF Signal Out + connected to be connected to pin 11 con 3

5 Audio RF Signal Out – connected to be connected to pin 5 con 3

Just off to take the car apart again....... :-(

Hi Bro,

Can you elaborate further in details on the above? Thanks.

Hi Bro,

Can you elaborate further in details on the above? Thanks.

I've added those wires to my unit, and now I get stereo bluetooth streaming which is good.

As for more details, then sure.

What I'm saying is that pin 4 in the blue connector on the bluetooth module, has to be wired to pin 11 in the small green connector in the quadlock on the back of the Columbus. Ditto, pin 5 in the bluetooth goes to pin 5 in the green connector in the quadlock.

Look here for the pinouts of the quadlock:

http://www.my-gti.com/1234/volkswagen-rns-510-microphone-connection-for-voice-control

You'll see that pins 5 and 11 are Telephone L+ and Telephone L-

In the bluetooth connector, the positions are actually numbered clearly on the connector, so no diagram is required.

You should used some screened audio cable. I simply chopped up a phono->phono lead to get mine.

Hope that helps,

Andy.

Edited by Bagpuss

Hi Bagpuss

Just out of curiosity, how long did your unit take to arrive? - I ordered one on 12th Feb but no sign of it yet.

Many Thanks

Dave

Andy.

I've added those wires to my unit, and now I get stereo bluetooth streaming which is good.

What I'm saying is that pin 4 in the blue connector on the bluetooth module, has to be wired to pin 11 in the small green connector in the quadlock on the back of the Columbus. Ditto, pin 5 in the bluetooth goes to pin 5 in the green connector in the quadlock.

http://www.my-gti.com/1234/volkswagen-rns-510-microphone-connection-for-voice-control

In the bluetooth connector, the positions are actually numbered clearly on the connector, so no diagram is required.

You should used some screened audio cable. I simply chopped up a phono->phono lead to get mine.

Hope that helps,

Andy.

My Superb has the 10 speaker audio system which means there is a unit under the left front seat (it's let say an amplifire). Is there a different wiring that must be done to get the stereo streaming (i.e. still need to connect something to the small green connector in the quadlock on the back of the Columbus)?

If yes, is there a way to to the wiring without unplagging columbus (i.e. does the wiring green connector of the columbus ends somewhere to get access more easily rather than taking out columbus)?

Regards,

Constantinos

Edited by Apoelara

My Superb has the 10 speaker audio system which means there is a unit under the left front seat (it's let say an amplifire). Is there a different wiring that must be done to get the stereo streaming (i.e. still need to connect something to the small green connector in the quadlock on the back of the Columbus)?

If yes, is there a way to to the wiring without unplagging columbus (i.e. does the wiring green connector of the columbus ends somewhere to get access more easily rather than taking out columbus)?

Regards,

Constantinos

Hi Constantinos,

There is no way to do this without removing the Columbus. You have to make the connections in the green connector.

Removing the Columbus is pretty easy. Remember to disconnect the battery before you remove the plastic surround. The surround has the airbag disable light in it. If you disconnect this with the battery connected, you'll get an airbag fault code which requires VCDS or your dealer to clear it.

Once you've removed the surround, you simply undo the four torx screws and the Columbus comes right out.

Hope this helps,

Andy.

Thanks Bagpuss :thumbup: - guess I'll have to be a bit more patient.

It will be worth the wait. It's one of the most useful mods I've ever done to a car.

I think MDI will be my next retrofit. Just can't justify the cost at the moment.

Andy.

Hi Constantinos,

There is no way to do this without removing the Columbus. You have to make the connections in the green connector.

Removing the Columbus is pretty easy. Remember to disconnect the battery before you remove the plastic surround. The surround has the airbag disable light in it. If you disconnect this with the battery connected, you'll get an airbag fault code which requires VCDS or your dealer to clear it.

Once you've removed the surround, you simply undo the four torx screws and the Columbus comes right out.

Hope this helps,

Andy.

Thanks Andy.

How can you go under the carpert from the bluetooth unit to Columbus? Any easy way? Where can I find the proper wires in order to do a nice job, not just cutting wires etc.

If I don't do the wiring now will I get phone conversation from both right and left (i.e. the wiring is needed only to get stereo for bluetooth audio streaming)?

What about fault codes. I red in a forum (I thing a VW forum)when I was surging the internet, that a fault code is coming up a there is an unwired end, which is the left channel from the 5N0035730D to Columbus.

As I never use any software to read coding and faults, my question about coding is if I can see any errors without the sofware,i.e. if the car will give me any warnings etc.

Thanks,

Constantinos

Hope that helps,

Andy.

Hi,

My set is the Bolero RCD510, are the pins 5 and pins 11 the same?

Thanks Andy.

How can you go under the carpert from the bluetooth unit to Columbus? Any easy way? Where can I find the proper wires in order to do a nice job, not just cutting wires etc.

If I don't do the wiring now will I get phone conversation from both right and left (i.e. the wiring is needed only to get stereo for bluetooth audio streaming)?

What about fault codes. I red in a forum (I thing a VW forum)when I was surging the internet, that a fault code is coming up a there is an unwired end, which is the left channel from the 5N0035730D to Columbus.

As I never use any software to read coding and faults, my question about coding is if I can see any errors without the sofware,i.e. if the car will give me any warnings etc.

Thanks,

Constantinos

Hi Again,

You won't need to cut any wires in the existing loom, as there aren't any there. You simply need to add new wires to carry the left audio channel.

In order to do this, you will need to get some repair wires from your local VW/Skoda dealer. These repair wires give you the correct inserts for the bluetooth and Columbus connector. Without these, the job is virtually impossible.

Repair wires you will need are:

Part number 000 979 009 (Columbus connector) x 1

Part number 000 979 010 (Bluetooth connector) x 1

The repair wires have inserts at both ends, so you simply need to chop the wire in half, and you'll get the two inserts you need.

You then need to get yourself some screened audio cable. Something like this, would be ideal: http://www.maplin.co.uk/high-grade-shielded-audio-cable-125

You need to solder the repair wires to either end of this cable, and then put heat shrink sleeving around the joints.

Running the wires under the carpet is quite tricky, as the carpets are very close fitting to the bodywork. On the drive shaft tunnel, there is a removable trim panel that simply pulls off. This will then reveal all of the wiring and ducts that are behind the Columbus. You will also need to remove the bluetooth module, and the metal baseplate it sits on. You will then find several holes in the carpet that you can run the wires through. I used a piece of flexible steel wire (like an old coat hanger) to push through under the carpet. I then attached the wire to the end using electrical tape, and pulled it back through under the carpet. It was pretty straightforward.

If you've any doubts about doing this, then I suggest trusting it to a good car hifi fitter, as they will be able to do it with ease.

As for getting calls from both speakers, then no, you only get voice from the right speaker, until you add these extra wires.

Hope this helps,

Andy.

Hi Again,

You won't need to cut any wires in the existing loom, as there aren't any there. You simply need to add new wires to carry the left audio channel.

In order to do this, you will need to get some repair wires from your local VW/Skoda dealer. These repair wires give you the correct inserts for the bluetooth and Columbus connector. Without these, the job is virtually impossible.

Repair wires you will need are:

Part number 000 979 009 (Columbus connector) x 1

Part number 000 979 010 (Bluetooth connector) x 1

The repair wires have inserts at both ends, so you simply need to chop the wire in half, and you'll get the two inserts you need.

You then need to get yourself some screened audio cable. Something like this, would be ideal: http://www.maplin.co.uk/high-grade-shielded-audio-cable-125

You need to solder the repair wires to either end of this cable, and then put heat shrink sleeving around the joints.

Running the wires under the carpet is quite tricky, as the carpets are very close fitting to the bodywork. On the drive shaft tunnel, there is a removable trim panel that simply pulls off. This will then reveal all of the wiring and ducts that are behind the Columbus. You will also need to remove the bluetooth module, and the metal baseplate it sits on. You will then find several holes in the carpet that you can run the wires through. I used a piece of flexible steel wire (like an old coat hanger) to push through under the carpet. I then attached the wire to the end using electrical tape, and pulled it back through under the carpet. It was pretty straightforward.

If you've any doubts about doing this, then I suggest trusting it to a good car hifi fitter, as they will be able to do it with ease.

As for getting calls from both speakers, then no, you only get voice from the right speaker, until you add these extra wires.

Hope this helps,

Andy.

So this is important.

I thought, as descriped by others in the forum, that the right only channel was a problrm only during bluetooth audio sreaming.

In a forum I found the following:

"I just installed a 9W7 into my 2010 Tiguan (White Display) replacing the stock 9W3. All the features seem to work fine except the A2DP streaming. It's only coming out of the right speakers in the truck.

Bluetooth phone audio is working fine coming from all the speakers, just not the music streaming. Has anyone been able to fix this problem? I noticed a few mentions on other forums but can't find the cause or solution."

If the above is correct i will leave the wiring for latter.

Andy sorry for asking but, could you please re-confirm?

Regards,

Constantinos

Edited by Apoelara