rSAP Bluetooth to HandsFree - Sucess!

It downloaded the phonebook on phone + on the SIM card, but I believe you can disable either one. Also, I receive SMS messages on the maxidot display. Considering the fact that new BT part costs around 100-200 EUR on eBay, I would say it's worth doing it, unless you have absolutely no idea how to root the phone.

regards!

Hello jj99.

Do you know if everything is working (phonebook from phone and/or SIM card, sms etc. - i.e. every rSAP functionality of the new unit)with all HTC Android phones by installing the sofware from www.android-rsap.com?

Regards

All installed the new module this evening.

One issue I had was no sound when dialling voicemail. BT (Single channel audio) was fine.

Discconnected and reconnected unit and all worked fine. Maybe loose connection.

My nexus s connected with ordinary BT and downloaded address book.

My galaxy s connected with RSAP but still only SIM address book. Anyone come up with a solution to this.

Im holding out for a galaxy s 2 any way so hope RSAP and address book works.

A question, on the maxidot there are 2 flat lines (where I imagine symbols should be) I have updated the firmware on the columbus to 2764.

David

I have 3C8 035 730 version in my superb (Jan 2009).

Can I order either of these (5N0035730D and 3C8035730A)from ebay for to get the iphone to work.

Is there a difference between 5N0035730D and 3C8035730A.

Ive seen that there is no difference but if that is so why different part number.

Dave

Hi all!

Just wanted to let you know that I've just done a successful swap following Al's instructions below: Seat moved all the way back, removed my old rSAP-module (5N0 035 730 C) and attached the new 5N0 035 730 D, which I'd bought on eBay from a guy in Portugal for £120 incl. postage fees (searched for "5N0 035 730 D" on eBay.co.uk). Used a normal wrench to remove the three screws, unplugged the two cables and did the reverse process on the new module. Ignition on, searched for my Android phone (LG P500 Optimus One, running Android 2.2 Froyo), paired it according to the instructions in the display, and BAM! - phone book available. Works like a charm. Audio during calls comes out of the speakers on both sides, but of course in mono. Still, works like it should. I see in the multidot display that I now have a "media player" option which I didn't have before, but I haven't gotten this to work (haven't really tried either, since I already have the MDI-iPod-connector in my car and probably won't be using bluetooth streaming anyway). Also, where the battery symbol is supposed to be in the display, there is only a square. Does this mean I have to update the firmware in my Colombus? Not that I really care, as long as the bluetooth connection works as it should.

For the record, I have a Skoda Superb Elegance 2010 model (delivered in November 2009). I have yet to try and connect my old Nokia-phone using rSAP on the new module, in order to see if I get the new sms-options etc. Will test that later and can post result if I should run into trouble or someone wants to know.

Finally, big thanks to Al for starting off this thread! You easily saved me £280! My local Skoda repair place would have charged me around £400 for a new module incl. fitting. Although they would also have made audio streaming over bluetooth possible (which I assume I won't be able to unless I add some more cables), it would definitely not have been worth it. After all, it was the basic handsfree solution I was looking for when I first bought the car.

Regards

Ben

Hi Bill,

Yes, straight swop, 3x 10mm bolts holding it in, 1x Multi Connector, 1x Aerial Plug, no coding needed, works as it should.

I'm going to go take some photo's now. - will post online.

Al.

Photo's.

Remove Cover

DSC_1655.jpg

3x Bolts, 1x MultiConnector, 1x Aerial Plug

DSC_1653.jpg

Plug in new Unit (New unit already in, but old one on top as a size guide; exactly the same)

DSC_1654.jpg

Works on MFD as it should.

IMG-20110201-00192.jpg

And on Nav Unit.

IMG-20110201-00193.jpg

Done.

Phone still works as a phone for emails, texts etc - there is now an option on MFD for Audio Streaming from Bluetooth device - i havent tried this yet....

Although they would also have made audio streaming over bluetooth possible (which I assume I won't be able to unless I add some more cables)

Hi Ben,

I believe the Columbus Firmware update will allow for Audio streaming; I have the Logo on the MFD in my car, but no options in the Columbus.... but this, i cant be sure of! - I will ask dealer to update when it goes infor service, in 4500 miles time :)

Al.

Hi Ben,

I believe the Columbus Firmware update will allow for Audio streaming; I have the Logo on the MFD in my car, but no options in the Columbus.... but this, i cant be sure of! - I will ask dealer to update when it goes infor service, in 4500 miles time :)

Al.

Funny you should mention service... I am actually driving my Superb to its first service tomorrow morning. Last time I asked them to update my maps (because many one-way streets were not up-to-date) they told me there was no update available for the maps. But maybe the firmware in the Colombus is something separate from the maps?! Btw... it would have been a whole lot more convenient if Skoda would make the firmware available for download online, so that one could install new software versions using the SD card slot. I'm guessing there is much cheap money involved for Skoda dealers in updating firmware for their customers.

Funny you should mention service... I am actually driving my Superb to its first service tomorrow morning. Last time I asked them to update my maps (because many one-way streets were not up-to-date) they told me there was no update available for the maps. But maybe the firmware in the Colombus is something separate from the maps?! Btw... it would have been a whole lot more convenient if Skoda would make the firmware available for download online, so that one could install new software versions using the SD card slot. I'm guessing there is much cheap money involved for Skoda dealers in updating firmware for their customers.

The Maps are chargeable - circa £200

The Firmware... i'm not sure...

Al.

Dealers will deny all knowledge of any firmware upgrades being available at all - at least that's been my experience with my two local dealers.

I suppose, in a way, that's true, as all the upgrades discussed here have been of VW origin, AFAICR. :(

Ray

All,

In Bens photo above of the MFD there is signal strength and a battery symbol in the top row and an a bluetooth symbol in the bottom row.

I installed a new unit from ebay and connected Nexus S to the car.

Thing is the top line has the signal strength but only a _ instead of the battery icon.

On the bottom I have the blue tooth symbol but a _ symbol beside that too.

I have fimrware 2674 and uptodate maps. Is the MFD a diferent firmware upgrade.

The new bluetooth unit works excellent but have the following dislikes.

On Nexus S over std bluetooth.

Signal is no way as good it was on RSAP (expected that but disappointed with the difference.)

No SMS on columbus but at least can stil receive emails and SMS on phone.

Bluetooth Audio doesnt seem as defined as on MP3s. (Right speaker only as I havent wired left yet)

On Galaxy S over RSAP.

Signal is excellent

SMS function excellent

Email stops (know this as I had a BB)

Contacts dont download.

Im due a phone upgrade soon and will try Galaxy S 2 as its supposed to have RSAP and signal is most important to me.

And hopefully the contacts issue is sorted.

Hi Ben,

Al.

On my Columbus the the bluetooth symbol, next to MDI (under media) is visible only when the treaming begins. i.e. the "media player" could be connected (symbol on MFD) but on Columbus the symbol is comming up only when streaming begins. When I stop streaming the symbol remains on Columbus until I switch off the car. When the car is switched on again no bluetooth syumbol next to the MDI until streaming starts.

I think that on the newer Bolero and Columbus this can be controled using "setup", probably with a firware upgrade.

How disappointing :(

Got my module today from the seller in Portugal. Fitted in 5 minutes (had to take my time), phone paired without issue, dialled home whilst sat on the drive and nothing.

After a few attempts, the wife comes to the door with that 'What are you doing?' look on her face. It transpires that I can make calls without problem but I can't hear anything back. In fact, I can hear a very very faint hissing noise through the speakers but nothing else.

Have I got a faulty unit? Or have I missed something really really obvious?

Martin

How disappointing :(

Got my module today from the seller in Portugal. Fitted in 5 minutes (had to take my time), phone paired without issue, dialled home whilst sat on the drive and nothing.

After a few attempts, the wife comes to the door with that 'What are you doing?' look on her face. It transpires that I can make calls without problem but I can't hear anything back. In fact, I can hear a very very faint hissing noise through the speakers but nothing else.

Have I got a faulty unit? Or have I missed something really really obvious?

Martin

Somebody else earlier in the thread had the same problem, they simply disconnected and reconnected the cables and it started working.

Hey guys (and girls?!?)

Last update from my bluetooth-module-swap-extravaganza: My Android (the reason for which I swapped the thing in the first place) died the other day, so I had to temporarily go back to my old Nokia (which supports rSAP). So... connected with no trouble. Phone book downloading much faster with the new module, and sms'es are received without trouble in the display. However, I cannot see an option to send sms from the Columbus, which I know others have been able to. I reckon my navigation/Columbus needs a firmware update, even though my Skoda dealer says there is none available. The icons in the multidot (or whatever it's called) display are still just squares...

A new, funny feature I found, though, is the option to have the sms'es read out to you by a Stephen Hawking-like female voice. That one will more or less never be used by me, but it was funny to listen to the robot voice try to read out in English an sms which was written in Norwegian.

In either event, the only reason why I bought the freakin' thing was to be able to use ANY phone supporting BT with my Skoda. Now my new project is to get my Android phone repaired ASAP or to get a new and better Android phone. The most hilarious thing would be if the new Android phone I get (most likely a Samsung Galaxy S2) would support rSAP - in which case the whole project would have been a waste of both time and resources. But hey! I'm happy it worked... so far so good!

Somebody else earlier in the thread had the same problem, they simply disconnected and reconnected the cables and it started working.

Thanks Mannyo, I thought I'd read that but it's becoming quite a long thread now. I took it out, cleaned the connections, put it back together, gave it all a wiggle and all to no avail.

Have reported to the seller who has already responded to my email which is a really good sign. Once it's all sorted I'll post details of the seller as I hope it's all going to be resolved.

Martin

• 3 weeks later...

All

I got the Samsung Galaxy S2 and connected it to my columbus.

The first time it seemed to connect using bluetooth (not rsap).

It downloaded the addressbook.

On subsequent connections it connected through RSAP (had SMS option).

I then deleted the profiles and connected phone again.

It connected in RSAP and even started downloading the address book.

But since Id say only 1 in 20 times the phone book downloads. Other times it says download Zero and failed.

Dont know why the address book downloads sometimes in rsap or wheather it was actually rsap mode at all.

If I want to force the phone to connect via bluetooth (non rsap) every now and again can this be done.

• 2 weeks later...

All

I got the Samsung Galaxy S2 and connected it to my columbus.

The first time it seemed to connect using bluetooth (not rsap).

It downloaded the addressbook.

On subsequent connections it connected through RSAP (had SMS option).

I then deleted the profiles and connected phone again.

It connected in RSAP and even started downloading the address book.

But since Id say only 1 in 20 times the phone book downloads. Other times it says download Zero and failed.

Dont know why the address book downloads sometimes in rsap or wheather it was actually rsap mode at all.

If I want to force the phone to connect via bluetooth (non rsap) every now and again can this be done.

Can you download the phone contacts or only the sim contacts?

This was an issue with the Samsung Galaxy (not the latest S2 model)

I have the "phone only" set in the options for addressbook.

It downloads from the phone.

There is an issue where not all contacts are downloaded.

Have 700 odd and it downloads 550 odd.

I think its something to do with joined contacts.

All my contacts are from work emal sync and facebook sync.

One thing is that after several syncs to the car the addressbook download fails.

But restarting the phone will allow the download to work again.

For me the S2 is the best phone I ever had. Had the Galaxy S, nexus S and iphone 4 on test but the S2 (for me anyway) beats them all hands down.

D

Can you download the phone contacts or only the sim contacts?

This was an issue with the Samsung Galaxy (not the latest S2 model)

• 2 weeks later...

Yup,

I also received my Samsung Galaxy S II this week.

Great piece of equipment :thumbup:

It took me some time before I had figured out how to connect/pair the new phone to the Columbus unit in my Superb II (march 2011).

Finally it seemed to work without problems.

All functionality (phonebook, mediaplayer and SMS texting) are suddenly available.

And now for the silly part :

When synchronising the phonebook only 55 contacts are transferred, while my phone contains 98 contacts !!!

(my contacts are residing on my phone - not on the SIM-card)

Nothing helped so far :

- restarting the car (a few times)

- updating the phonebook on the maxidot (multiple times)

- restarting the phone (several times)

Anyone having experience with this ?

I also would like to know if anyone has succesfully connected his/her Galaxy SII without problems

Edited by WAP

Strangest thing happened yesterday ....

My Columbus reported spontaneously a new phonebook received.

Took a quick look and ... surprise ... surprise ... all of my contacts had been transferred !!!

Now I'm just curious what happens if I change something on my Samsung .... we'll see

• 1 month later...

Help!!

My new Jul 2011 build Superb SE estate has factory Bluetooth upgrade (which I am of course paying for) was assured it would work OK with Blackberry Curve 9300. Initially all went perfectly. Just the same as my old Scirocco had with a Nokia phone. I entered top 6 numbers etc etc. Then nothing. Wouldn't pair, if it did dropped the line. Kept prompting a security code, said it was connecting and didn't. Also 'switched off' the Blackberry every time. So in top corner of phone screen was 'OFF". Very frustrating after a week in my lovely, fantastic new car to still be struggling with the Bluetooth. Half a mind to chuck the Crackberry back at the office and go back to Nokia brick! CAn anyone help? Is there something on the Blackberry Bluetooth settings that needs turning off?

S

Turn off remote sim on the blackberry then it will connect only as a "normal" phone.

Untick the following.

Bluetooth > options > Sim Access Profile

Try that :)

If you do that the car says....'phone not compatible'. This is a stage worse than the intermittent connection I am getting.

Off to the dealers......

I reckon that every Skoda/VW/Audi/Seat dealer in the country must have a queue of grumbling customers. It's not like Blackberry/HTC/IPhone are exactly uncommon!

Until then my old Bluetooth Buddy gets dusted off and used.

S

If you do that the car says....'phone not compatible'. This is a stage worse than the intermittent connection I am getting.

Off to the dealers......

I reckon that every Skoda/VW/Audi/Seat dealer in the country must have a queue of grumbling customers. It's not like Blackberry/HTC/IPhone are exactly uncommon!

Until then my old Bluetooth Buddy gets dusted off and used.

S

Works fine with SIM access turned off on my 2010 (with new module fitted) with a BB Torch 9800... so don't see why it's not compatible... unless Skoda have fitted you with the old, rSAP only module??

what's the part number? (as described page 1 of this thread)

Al.