Yeti wins comparison test in Sweeden

telecaster

The Sweedish magazine "4WheelDrive" has in the big summer double issue (no #7-8 2011)

a test of 10 popular 4x4s and our beloved snow monster is the clear winner!

4e12ac1973352.jpg

The cars tested are:

Volvo XC60, Nissan Qashqai, VW Tiguan, Kia Sportage, Honda CR-V,

Hyundai ix35, Ford Kuga, BMW X1, Subaru Forester and a Yeti with 140 HP DSG.

Much to the amused surprise of the testers the Skoda Yeti became a favorite

among them, both on and offroad.

The Yeti got 61 points, a very clear winner over the second place holder on 58 points. :-)

The ranking:

1 Skoda Yeti 61

2 Hyundai ix35 58

3 Subaru Forester 57

4 VW Tiguan 56

5 Kia Sportage 53

6 Nissan Qashqai 52

7 Volvo XC60 51 and

7 BMW X1 51

9 Ford Kuga 48

10 Honda CR-V 45 Thats a stunning 16 points lower than the Yeti !!!!!

The test is very large, goes over many days and covers 25 pages in the magazine.

They do a 170 km long fuel consumption test on tarmac roads, they do a speed test

on a racingtrack, where they also test the ability to drive thru a slalom course

and do a brake test as well, they have a gravel test track and also a true offroadtrack

which only one car managed to drive thru the whole track, guess which ? :-)

In the conclusion they say that the Yeti was not at all a favorite when the testweek

started, rather a dull ugly duckling, but as the days and tests went on the 12 man

strong testteam came to love the strange creature.

It felt like a gokart on curvy tarmac roads, it sat as glued on gravelroads, it was

the only car in the test that could do the whole offroad course, not bad for a car that is

not an offroad vehicle!

It was fast and funny they say (something we all know )

cheers

otto

Edited by telecaster

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It would be interesting to know what lost the Kia Sportage 5 whole points versus the Hyundai ix35, since they are basically the same car. Mechanically and dynamically they should be almost indistinguishable. If it's down to more subjective measures then that rather throws the validity of the rest of the scores in to doubt.

FWIW I actually preferred the Sportage to the ix35 when I test drove them. I wouldn't have rated the Sportage as being 95% as good as a Yeti, let alone the ix35.

It would be interesting to know what lost the Kia Sportage 5 whole points versus the Hyundai ix35, since they are basically the same car. Mechanically and dynamically they should be almost indistinguishable. If it's down to more subjective measures then that rather throws the validity of the rest of the scores in to doubt.

FWIW I actually preferred the Sportage to the ix35 when I test drove them. I wouldn't have rated the Sportage as being 95% as good as a Yeti, let alone the ix35.

I would be more interested in why the Tiguan came 5 points lower than the Yeti, as again, they are essentially the same.

VW will no doubt be concerned and now make an effort to improve the Tiguan.

Meanwhile Skoda will be fettling the Yeti to make it better too. I have a feeling their job might be slightly more difficult? ;)

I would be more interested in why the Tiguan came 5 points lower than the Yeti, as again, they are essentially the same.

VW will no doubt be concerned and now make an effort to improve the Tiguan.

Meanwhile Skoda will be fettling the Yeti to make it better too. I have a feeling their job might be slightly more difficult? ;)

They have only just face lifted the Tiguan; saw a couple while on my hols. Big improvement in looks however I understand from pictures they failed to ditch that 1980's Fiesta style dash :S which is what put me off buying one to replace the zero ground clearance Golf 4motion and waiting for the Yeti.

TP

What variants of Yeti & Tiguan were up against each other?

VW Tiguan 2.0 litre 140 HP 320 nm 6 speed manual gearbox

Skoda Yeti 2.0L 140 HP 320 nm DSG

Edited by telecaster

The two tested cars were very different in specs:

Kia Sportage 1.968cc 16V 136 HP 319 nm 6 speed auto gearbox, 225/60-17 tyres weight 1600 kg

Hyudai ix35 1,995cc 16V 184 HP 392 nm 6 speed auto gearbox, 225/55-18 tyres weight 1676 kg

Edited by telecaster

Pretty impressive that it was the only one to complete the entire offroad circuit.

The Yeti covered the whole track, as I understand from the text the Subaru Forrester

were very close, but the other 8 had no chance at all and in order to not damage

the cars they had to be withdrawn from the track.

But in all fearness, none of this cars are offroad vehicles, still it seems like

they were really impressed with the Yetis handling in all situations, gravel, tarmac

and offroad.

I thought the Yeti & Tiguan were the same car (could be wrong! of course :p ), how could the Tiguan fail to complete course if same?

I guess you could say they are cusins, noth twins :-)

Tiguan length: 443 cm, width: 181 cm, height: 169 cm, distance between front/rear wheels: 260cm weight: 1670 kg

Yeti length: 422 cm, width: 195 cm, height: 169 cm, distance between front/rear wheels: 257cm weight: 1560 kg

Tiguan length: 443 cm, width: 181 cm, height: 169 cm, distance between front/rear wheels: 260cm weight: 1670 kg

Yeti length: 422 cm, width: 195 cm, height: 169 cm, distance between front/rear wheels: 257cm weight: 1560 kg

Nearly 10% weight difference, well will be the last time I compare the 2 in same breath, I nearly bought a Tiguan CR170 R-Line 4motion ....... really glad i got its better performing lighter "cousin" :thumbup:

Which i guess shows how subjective things can be.

I preferred the IX35 over the Sportage when i did back to back tests of them :wonder:

I was also boggled by the Sportage costing more when Hyundai is supposedly the premium brand of the sister companies.

Most of the Yeti is either original Yeti / Golf V derived, with a smattering of Audi and Seat components. Current sunroof for example I believe is a Seat component and the 4x4 has TT rear wheel bearings. The largest Tiguan component fitted is the rear sub frame which can be found on all 4x4 and MY10 2wd.

See My link

Regards,

TP

Otto,

Har du en adresse på en hjemmeside for testen??

Hei

De legger desverre ikke ut artikler på websiden, men du kan bestille magasinet herifra:

4wheeldrive magazine homepage

sorry for suddely speaking Norwegian here, I was saying to my Swedish and Danish

friends that the magazine does not put its tests on a webpage, so if you want

to read the test you can order the printed magazine from the adress over.

Mind you its written in Swedish so it will be Greek to anyone not from Scandinavia :-)

I think this is a case of love. If you look back in history some cars are loved others are not, ie. Renault 4, Mini, VW Campervan and the Golf are loved. I also cannot see how a Yeti can be better than a Tiguan but I can see the Yeti is more lovable... :)

I think this is a case of love. If you look back in history some cars are loved others are not, ie. Renault 4, Mini, VW Campervan and the Golf are loved. I also cannot see how a Yeti can be better than a Tiguan but I can see the Yeti is more lovable... :)

you might be right, but the test state that the Yeti handled much better og gravel- and on rough roads, and that it was like a gokart on curvy tarmac roads,

mind you the testers themselves were surprised, they write that they were somewhat indifferent to the Yeti, none of them had driven it before an they did not know anything

about it, but during the week the test lasted the grew to the car and in the end it was affection, so I guess youe are right; LOVE :wub:

cheers

otto

Thanks for the article and the heads up.

Its good to see that the Yeti is at the top, however, I am quite intrigued to see how it beat the XC60?

I am not slagging off the Yeti here, as I really like my Yeti and at the price I pay, it's irresistable. However if money is no object, and the XC60 is the same price as the Yeti, I would go and buy that immediately. However, again if money is no object and I have infinite amount of it, I would be off to buy one of these, provided someone is willing to sell!

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?q=Bugatti+Atlantic&um=1&hl=en&client=firefox-a&sa=N&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&channel=s&biw=1280&bih=619&tbm=isch&tbnid=wFg9lN--XJd_5M:&imgrefurl=http://www.partaj.cz/clanky/bugatti-type-57sc-atlantique-1936-1938-197.html&docid=XvlU7D3Xq22drM&w=640&h=430&ei=m45OTpWjMYu38gOkpKyvBQ&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=180&vpy=140&dur=388&hovh=184&hovw=274&tx=148&ty=85&page=1&tbnh=138&tbnw=194&start=0&ndsp=15&ved=1t:429,r:0,s:0

PS. If the XC60 is included in the test, then where is the Q5?

Edited by My_Yeti

Thanks for the article and the heads up.

Its good to see that the Yeti is at the top, however, I am quite intrigued to see how it beat the XC60?

PS. If the XC60 is included in the test, then where is the Q5?

I also find this a bit weird... The XC60 is definitely from a class above in terms of price. That the Yeti still won is lovely of course, but it is weird the cars they threw together. Why test such wildly different engines in the Kia/Hyundai? Or indeed have the XC60 there? Most people have a budget when they buy and don't shop willy nilly from £20,000 to near £40,000... And the £40,000 is perhaps why the Q5 is not here as it is a bit more expensive than the XC60 I suspect.