GoPro Hero / Blackvue / Roadhawk (+new Action Pro)

BossFox

I've been testing the following devices to see which is best as a drive recorder:

Blackvue DR300

Blackvue DR400HD

Roadhawk DC-1

I've also been testing these to see how they do as a drive recorder that you can use for other things:

GoPro Hero

GoPro Hero2

MiniDVR HD (1080P)

I thought my experiences may be of use to anyone who is thinking of getting a Drive Recorder or using one of the other devices as a drive recorder.

This is not backed by any company, they've all been purchased and tested by myself in my Skoda Greenline II. emoticon-0100-smile.gif

Blackvue DR300.

This is a good budget entry camera, which now has a big brother in the form of the 400 HD. The picture is clear, although the quality is not as good as the 400 HD, which carries a price premium of about £50 more. It's very easy to dismount and take with you when you leave the vehicle if you have security concerns.

Liked: Easy to use. Compact and a good fit up under the rear view mirror. Easy to dismount and remove. G sensor for when parked.

Didn't like: Micro SD card fiddly go get out. I have concerns if you could actually read the registration number after a hit and run unless you follwed it at a similar speed, as otherwise the reg number will be blurred.

Blackvue 400HD.

The picture quality over the DR300 is a noticable improvement, well worth the extra £50 in my view. With it's HD quality picture you've a much better chance of catching the reg number of a car after a hit and run. Also good enough for Track days for YouTube.

Liked: All the points listed under 300 model above, plus the picture quality is noticably better.

Didn't like: As above, micro SD card is still awkward to get out. Also the button lights up quite brightly in use so everyone can see it at night, which I think poses a security risk for a drive recorder that can be left in the vehicle on parking mode.

Roadhawk DC-1.

Like the DR300 the picture is not great. It's acceptable, but would struggle in my view to catch the reg number of a hit and run driver unless you follow them at a similar speed. Otherwise, the reg number is likely to be blurred. It's less easy to dismount than the Blackvue units as you have to undo a collar and then pop it out of the mount. But it does take a full size SD card, which is much easier to pop in and out (you can do it quite easilly with the unit in place) which has it's advantages if you like to check what you've recorded more often. A few LEDs on the back also mean it doesn't light up and show itself to other drivers.

Liked: Discreet lights. Full size SD card. Easy to adjust if not straight. Event button if you see something you want to save for the future.

Didn't like: Picture quality similar to DR300, probably wouldn't catch the reg number from a car at a different speed.

GoPro Hero (and Hero2)

These are great action cameras and perfect for recording your track day exploits, but as a push can also be used as a drive recorder. However, you don't get much kit. The battery will last about 90 minutes each time and you only get a USB charger, meaning you can't use it for long in a car without buying extra kit to charge it. Also, it lacks the ability to have loop recording like all the Drive Recorders above. So once the SD card is full the camera saves the file and powers off. This means you'll have variable recording time based on the size of your card and will have to keep removing it and deleting the video file. As an action camera it also doesn't split the file like a Drive Recorder, so if you record for 40 mintes it's one huge 2gb file. The above models split the footage into 1 minute clips so they can be deleted one by one when the SD card is full and run constantly.

Like: Great quality picture, full size SD card, wide angle lens, variable resolutions to save SD card space. The camera for recording events.

Didn't like: Options needed for different mounting and charging, which quickly add to the expense. Hero2 is better, but not that much, although it's only about £50 more. The cost of the unit plus options soon adds up... and up!

MiniDVR HD (1080P)

This is a unit that you wouldn't consider if looking for a Drive Recorder, but it has so many features it can be used for a lot of things. You get a head unit that can clip onto your belt (or the sun visor) and a small bullet camera head (even smaller than the slimline Blackvue units) that is positioned where you want to record. These are connected by a wire about one metre long.

The picture quality is about as good as the 400HD and has variable resolutions and quality options. It's never going to compete with the GoPro for picture quality, but for putting your track day video on YouTube at a lower resolution it's fine. More importantly you can go into the menu of the head unit using it's screen and choose how it works. So you can set it to loop record like a Driver Recorder and you can also choose low long to make each clip. The unit has no bright lights, so that and the fact that the camera head is small makes it a perfect stealth camera, other drivers just wouldn't see it. You get a full set of mounts with it, with the GoPro you pay for more and with the Driver Recorders you just have one type.

Like: Jack of all trades, can be used for so many things. Full size SD card. Lots in the box including mains, USB and car charger plus many different mounts meaning you don't need to buy extras for other uses. Lots of options in the menu to tailor it for the use you want.

Didn't like: Too expensive if you just want a Driver Recorder.

Overall, if I wanted a drive recorder I'd go for the Blackvue DR400HD, mainly for the good picture quality. Although I'd want to try and remove (or tape up) the bright light that makes it easy to see at night. --EDIT-- you can use the windows software to switch the light off I have been informed! I really don't like this big bright light on the end, but otherwise it's better than the other Drive Recorders for recording much more clearly what happened in an accident.

But if I was going to do track days or had other uses in mind and only wanted to buy ONE camera I'd have the MiniDVR HD (1080P). You're always going to better off with a GoPro (or GoPro2) for event recording, but the sheer flexibility of the unit and small easy to mount camera makes it a winner in my view, particularly when you see what comes in the box. If you bought all the extra mounts, preview screen and chargers for the GoPro it'd cost a lot more. Plus the head unit can be detached if you want to leave the camera head in place. The fact that you can use the menu feature to set it up as a Drive Decorder is a good feature.

That's my views anyway...

I'm very impressed with the MiniDVR HD (1080P) but I'll still be using the GoPro2 when on track.

If I'd had the MiniDVR HD (1080P) first though I doubt I'd have bought the GoPro because I don't do anything extreme enough to warranty having it.

Just as a note for the BlackVue's, i've got the SD in the rear, and the HD in the front.

In the Windows (boo!) based menu / Software, you can turn off the lights. - no need to tape them up! - Mine are turned off! - Only the GPS and Recording lights remain.

Al.

Nice review, thanks.

If you ever feel like getting rid of your RoadHawk....... :notme:;)

I've lent to Roadhawk to a member of staff as I've now got a Blackvue 400HD in the back and front.

They are trying it, but if they don't want to buy I'll PM you within 7 days.

In the Windows (boo!) based menu / Software, you can turn off the lights. - no need to tape them up! - Mine are turned off! - Only the GPS and Recording lights remain.

Thanks for the tip. :thumbup:

I've edited my review with a line in blue.

• 2 weeks later...

As you know I have 2 DR400G-HD's one fitted to the front and the other to the rear of Elsie.

Make sure you keep the firmware up to date as they keep updating the firmware and improving stability.

The light now stays turned off - there was issues with the original firmware, but the latest firmware seems to be OK.

I preferred the black of the DR300G, as it was more inconspicuous. Not so bad now the lights are staying out. Picture quality is okay for the size of lens and the parking mode is great, so if anybody does hit the car whilst parked, you stand more of a chance of seeing who did it......

I now feel naked driving without them on or in another car. emoticon-0140-rofl.gif

I like them because the are quite small and hide behind the drivers mirror This is a DR300G:

6289536978_e57aa2a953_b.jpg

and a DR400G-HD fitted to the rear window:

6291354181_f4d688ec33_b.jpg

How do they compare in terms of quality to this sort of thing?

The first one looks very good to me, and for 10% of the price (~£25), I'm not sure if you're getting much better value with the £250 ones.

The Blackvue 300 and Roadhawk are about the same in daylight.

The HD is a lot better.

Obviously you get better fixed car use as they have a power lead for continuous use and with the GPS you have a record of speed and location. Also the keychain cheap cameras tend to perform badly in poor light.

There are cheap options out there, but the point of a Driver Recorder is fit and forget.

You don't have to charge it and empty the SD card regularly.

But you pay your money and take your choice. :thumbup:

I prefer not to charge and empty an SD card each night, because the day I forget (or go a fair distance so the battery runs out) will be the day something happens...

I`v been considering a drive recorder for a while, and since we have full CCTV at work, i`v seen just how useful they can be in numerous situations. This is the first i`v read about them, so am I right in thinking they have GPS & motion sensing? So does it constantly record the position or just in the event of a accident?

So I take it if you were going to go for one drive recorder and one event recorder, you`d have the Blackvue 400 & the GoPro?

I`v been considering a drive recorder for a while, and since we have full CCTV at work, i`v seen just how useful they can be in numerous situations. This is the first i`v read about them, so am I right in thinking they have GPS & motion sensing? So does it constantly record the position or just in the event of a accident?

So I take it if you were going to go for one drive recorder and one event recorder, you`d have the Blackvue 400 & the GoPro?

Yes, BlackVue 400-HD and a GoPro2 would be (and are) my weapons of choice.

Each Drive Recorder has a GPS sensor and a motion sensor as you suggest.

On each model you can set up the sensitivity of the unit.

When driving it records all the time. When you park it senses no movement and goes into parking mode, which draws less power and only records for about a minute when it senses a bump.

All the time it's actively recording it also logs speed and GPS location.

It comes with a ciggy 12v plug on a long lead.

I run mine behind the passenger sun visor and grab handle, then under the seat to the socket.

But when I get the new Yeti in March (which I'll have for some time) I'm going go snip the 12v plugs off and wire them to an ignition live so the lead is much less visible. With an over-ride switch for when the car is left in a public place.

Do we know how much current it draws in Park mode? I'd be tempted to wire to permanent live with a switch so if I was leaving the car for a week or more.

From what I read, the blackvue 400 has a G-meter and an internal battery to record when the G-meter kicks it into life, but the ignition is off. I assume a parking incident is one such situation.

The problem for me would be I would probably take out the camera for security reasons when parked up... Defeats the object then. Security VS catching someone hitting you? hmmm.

Does it just overwrite previous footage?

yes when mini SD card is full-DR400 supports up to 32gb, it then overwrites the oldest info. A 32gb card. Can last 2-3 days depending on usage, less if driven lots.

DR400 comes with 16gb mini SD card.

You can alter the settings do that it only records events sensed by its accelerator sensor, which means it would last for longer, and you can also change it to not overwrite should you so wish.

For those mac users out there none of them will display the gps data, but you can still view the mpg files which can show date time & speed. Again all configurable with the DR400 & DR300. I know nothing about the Roadhawk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The DR400 manual is to big to upload to this site, but here are some snippets:

post-36710-0-01215700-1323816858_thumb.png

post-36710-0-60122900-1323816870_thumb.png

post-36710-0-80722400-1323816883_thumb.png

post-36710-0-66624500-1323817293_thumb.png

Camera 2,073,600pixels CMOS sensor,

Megapixel IR lens

Angle of View 120¾(diagonal), 98¾(horizontal), 55¾(vertical)

Resolution Full HD (1920x1080) @30fps

Full HD (1920x1080) @15fps

HD (1280x720) @30fps

HD (1280x720) @15fps

D1 (720x480) @30fps

Compression Video : H.264, Audio : AAC LC

G-sensor Built-in

GPS Built-in

Microphone Built-in

Speaker Built-in

LED Recording status, GPS, Button

Memory Micro SD card (up to 32GB)

Battery Internal Battery 130mA

Temperature -20¾C ~ 70¾C

Input Voltage 12V ~ 24V DC

Power Consumption Max 3W

Video Out Composite (NTSC/PAL)

Color, Size, Weight Dark Silver, 102.8x32.0 (Dx?mm), 86g

Certification KC, FCC, CE

Whats in the box

• BlackVue HD drive recorder
  • intergrated GPS Receiver *
  • Quick release windscreen mount
  • 12/24v power connector on extended lead
  • Blackvue Software CD
  • English instruction manual
  • AV cable
  • 16 Gb micro SD card with adaptor
  • MicroSD to USB key ring Adaptor
  • Cable tidy kit

Manual can be found here

It comes with a ciggy 12v plug on a long lead.

I run mine behind the passenger sun visor and grab handle, then under the seat to the socket.

But when I get the new Yeti in March (which I'll have for some time) I'm going go snip the 12v plugs off and wire them to an ignition live so the lead is much less visible. With an over-ride switch for when the car is left in a public place.

Sounds like a decent setup. If it were hard wired in could it be unplugged at the camera end of the lead? Just need to decide which to go for first, head says Blackvue heart and child in me says GoPro :giggle:

Cheers for taking the time to review it for us, and everyone for the info/replies.

Sounds like a decent setup. If it were hard wired in could it be unplugged at the camera end of the lead? Just need to decide which to go for first, head says Blackvue heart and child in me says GoPro :giggle:

Cheers for taking the time to review it for us, and everyone for the info/replies.

Yes, you can just pop the power lead out of the camera unit.

Simple plug that must be removed before you remove the SD card anyway.

GoPro is good, but you'll tire of using it for regular driving quickly due to charging and emptying SD card.

It's more just for special events. If that's what you want, find a good 2nd hand one.

With the mkII GoPro out (that's only a little better) people should soon start trading up.

• 2 months later...

Mike, I have read the posts but I am also reading them in tendem with googling so I have lost track a bit - does the Blackvue have motion sensing whilst parked? I am also checking out the RH2 Twin Pack.

Got a birthday coming up so I might get lucky!!