climate control issue.... maybe

ZakA

Hi everyone,

I haven't posted here before but have certainly read a lot!!

Great forum and loads of fantastic info.

Just onto my third Octavia. Elegance estate 2ltr 6 speed on 58 plate. Love it!!

I wonder if anyone can help please. I noticed today that when using the climate control and selecting reverse and/or using the washer jets that the climate control doesn't automatically switch to air recirculate to avoid fumes/washer fluid smell etc coming in the cab. Can anyone please tell me whether this is a 'setting' problem which I am able to rectify myself or is it a fault/vag job?

Many thanks in advance!!

Zak

:)

it should but the recirc light won't show unlike if you manually select recirc.

Hi Gadgetman,

thanks for your post. The thing that made me realise was the lack of change in sound. You can usually hear a distinct change in the sound of the blower when it cuts of the outside air supply. I checked by turning recirc on manually and it worked fine, it was only when selecting reverse and/or using the washer jets that there was no cut off and the associated change in sound.

It was originally brought to my attention when I got a nose full of washer fluid smell the other day whilst the climate control was on.

Thanks again.

Zak

I'm sure a certain amount of smell creeping through is unavoidable to be honest but there is a definite, and audible opening and closing of air intakes/outlets which is definitely not happening when engaging reverse and/or using washer jets. It clearly happens when operating recirc manually and has always been apparent when operating automatically in previous Octavias I had so there is definitely something amiss, I'm just not sure how to rectify the problem.

Zak

hmmm....i didn't realise this was supposed to happen!

is it across all models? or just the elegance range?

i'm pretty sure it doesn't go into 'recirculate' mode when i select reverse or hit the washers in my vRS. :no:

I can sometimes hear mine go into recirc when reversing, but I've never noticed it do it when using the screen washers and didn't realise it was supposed to?

To be honest though its the first car I've owned that goes into recirc when reversing and I certainly wouldn't lose any sleep if it stopped doing! How long does the average driver spend reversing that this is likely to make any real difference to the air quality in the cabin anyway? Usually by the time its gone through its process of changing into recirc mode I've finished reversing and it then has to change all the way back again!

My 2007 vRS and 2008 Scout both do it.

The only way of telling is you can hear the sound of the fan change slightly - assuming it's on fast enough to hear in the first place.

I've done the 'off' button mod on both cars so I just turn the climate control off before engaging reverse when reversing onto my drive.

The vRS suffers from the 'tapping flaps' problem already so I'd rather minimise their use to avoid future problems by turning the climate off before it has a chance to recirculate.

Performing the 'climate control reset' procedure helped though (press and hold the Econ button and the bottom left of the rectangular direction buttons together for a few seconds) which then forces a test procedure whereby the system operates all of the flaps to their maximum and minimum settings.

The vRS suffers from the 'tapping flaps' problem already so I'd rather minimise their use to avoid future problems by turning the climate off before it has a chance to recirculate.

Tell me about tapping flaps. My VRS makes a noise like a motor reaching its stop and trying to keep turning momentarily. It's definitely inside and I thought it was related to HVAC. My A/C compressor is bust so I wondered if that was effecting it.

Hi everyone,

I haven't posted here before but have certainly read a lot!!

Great forum and loads of fantastic info.

Just onto my third Octavia. Elegance estate 2ltr 6 speed on 58 plate. Love it!!

I wonder if anyone can help please. I noticed today that when using the climate control and selecting reverse and/or using the washer jets that the climate control doesn't automatically switch to air recirculate to avoid fumes/washer fluid smell etc coming in the cab. Can anyone please tell me whether this is a 'setting' problem which I am able to rectify myself or is it a fault/vag job?

Many thanks in advance!!

Zak

Yes it should. Try the 'flap reset procedure' as advised above. Often works. I most notice mine in summer with the aircon on. Was driving back from hols and kept on washing dead flies off the windscreen - every wash made my hands warm and when the system went back to norm they got cool again. Weird feeling at first.

Thanks for all the replies!!!

I have tried the reset mentioned above but alas it made no difference. Might have to take the dealer's advice and get it on the old diagnostic machine thingy jobby.

Thanks again everyone!!!

Zak

hmmm....i didn't realise this was supposed to happen!

is it across all models? or just the elegance range?

i'm pretty sure it doesn't go into 'recirculate' mode when i select reverse or hit the washers in my vRS. :no:

As far as I'm aware this function should be on all higher spec models. If you have climate control you should have this function- I think....

Zak