Given up!

warley

A very reasoned post, Rockhopper and (not surprisingly given my recent comments) I would agree with every point. I too even briefly tried an Octavia SE on 16" wheels and while it was a little better than the Yeti on 17s and would at least have been a same-brand switch over I was not bowled over with it and going for Golf Plus was the safest choice for me as the dealer was able to suppy one and it is a sort of SUV-lite configuration. It will be interesting to see if the revision of the Yeti will incorporate any suspenion work - while accepting that some like it just as it is of course. Jlwah's suggestion of a 'sport' option with the adaptive dampers would be brilliant of course and maybe have the 17" wheels as part of a 'sport pack' for the more avdventurous or maybe just the younger! According to Auto Express a few weeks back the Yeti will move to the new VAG MQB platform (they are to rationalise down to a singe transverse SUV platform and a single longitudinal SUV platform) but I assume we will see a facelifted version first. They (AE) say that the Yeti platform is currently a mix of Fabia and Octavia - that to my mind might explain why it is how it is!

Edited by warley

Erm, weird question but are you sure the Yeti had the transit chocks removed from the suspension at PDI as ive recently driven the Golf + and I thought the Yeti damping to be superior!?

That defininatly isn't a weird question as my seat Leon had that very issue, the ride was horrible so I took it to the dealer and he said they had left the blocks in.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

That defininatly isn't a weird question as my seat Leon had that very issue, the ride was horrible so I took it to the dealer and he said they had left the blocks in.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Well the only reason I thought of it was because it happened to someone at Darlingtons of Harlow up the road - complained his Yeti had a really firm, lumpy, bumpy ride and it was found that they'd left them in place! He had covered over 1200 miles like it and complained again. He apparently said it was such an amazing difference afterwards he was just please it was cured and didn't complain to the dealership in any sort of official capacity!

They (AE) say that the Yeti platform is currently a mix of Fabia and Octavia - that to my mind might explain why it is how it is!

Nope they have that wrong; the main floorpan and front longitudinal beams are Golf V part numbered like the Octavia. The boot floor though is pure Yeti, although very similar to the Golf V 4motion.

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/187308-a-guide-to-yeti-dna-my10-11/

TP

I think it all depends on what you are used to. I came from a hard as nails Audi A2 (rock hard go-kart suspension to stop the thing from topling over mid corner). I had to go over speed bumps at no more than 5mph. The Yeti is a Rolls Royce in comparison. I can take speed bumps at any speed, ridges in the road does not upset it or hit the buffers like the A2's did... Give it some twisty lanes and the Yeti does not roll around corners as you'd expect either. So it is hard, yet compliant. Nope to me it is perfect and I have no complaints.

My advice is go take any Audi S-line or BMW for a spin and then go back to your Yeti and you will see by modern car suspension standards the Yeti has a very, very good setup.

They (AE) say that the Yeti platform is currently a mix of Fabia and Octavia - that to my mind might explain why it is how it is!

Sounds like they are confusing it with the Roomster.

There is no Fabia in the Yeti underpinnings that I am aware of.

I subscribe to AE, it's not ususal for them to get things wrong.

• 4 years later...

I think it all depends on what you are used to. I came from a hard as nails Audi A2 (rock hard go-kart suspension to stop the thing from topling over mid corner). I had to go over speed bumps at no more than 5mph. The Yeti is a Rolls Royce in comparison. I can take speed bumps at any speed, ridges in the road does not upset it or hit the buffers like the A2's did... Give it some twisty lanes and the Yeti does not roll around corners as you'd expect either. So it is hard, yet compliant. Nope to me it is perfect and I have no complaints.

My advice is go take any Audi S-line or BMW for a spin and then go back to your Yeti and you will see by modern car suspension standards the Yeti has a very, very good setup.