Android-based Multimedia unit as alternative to Columbus

Sorry, the link is from national non-English forum - only to look to some photos:

http://www.superb-cl...1&postcount=416

Unit Part Number is unknown to me - can not search Google for English version.

Still not ideal: Android ver. 2.2.1, proc is only 800 MHz Cortex A8 / i.MX51, only some integration with car's systems (park sensors display (plus rear camera in place), climat info, FM info on MaxiDot - but no navi hints).

It's great to have 7" tablet PC functionality - to install Navi program of your choice (iGo or Primo etc.), 3G Internet connectivity.

Price is half-Columbus's (including TV, BT handsfree etc., as opposite to bare Columbus)

navipilot_droid_volkswagen_passat72.jpg

Edited by ste2000

Looks cool, runs on Android too, certainly a plus point as there are such great software apps available for Android out there. Imagine setting "Torque App" as the main screen on this Unit!

I do have a similar Unit in my car with similar features but only that it runs on the archaic WinCE which is so boring and has a very outdated look. Would love to update it to Android if only it was possible.

• 3 weeks later...

Great idea, would love to have something like this if my Columbus decides its had enough. Not entirely sure I would buy from Ca-Fi or not. They sell from Hong Kong and the Eurpean partners seem to be based in some countries we are told to be wary of when it comes to buying stuff on the likes of ebay. I have no wish to suggest this isn't a great product but for something that is such a great idea and would have a massive market in the UK due to the popularity of Android and the amount of cars we have here that I'm surprised there is no direct outlet for them here. Plus if you do buy from them, in the T&C's it states there will be import duty payable, so that'll push the price up by 20%.

I believe the reason of not having any much offer of Android-based units (at least one of them) - newer Android versions appear every couple of months (as compared to WinCE). Any developer will find his/her device outdated by the release date, and adaptation to newer version is resource consuming.

It also may be that Google is not for some unknown reason interested very much in devices like car MM units. I may be (and surely am) completely wrong :).