Octavia III front and back lights patterns

So... Does this mean that the bi-xenon versions won't have auxiliary halogens for full beam? I have tried Audi's setup (which is similar), and the full beam on the A4 is actually quite crap.

So... Does this mean that the bi-xenon versions won't have auxiliary halogens for full beam? I have tried Audi's setup (which is similar), and the full beam on the A4 is actually quite crap.

Doesn't 'Bi-Xenon' mean it has full xenon ability on the high beam also? If its just a xenon setup them it will be halogen on full beam.

Of course; bi-xenon means that you get both dipped and high beam from the same projector (light source). My point is, that with the new Octavia, the setup is identical with most Audis and VW's. In other words, it's just the xenon projectors that gives you the high beam. Both the Superb and Yeti, on the other hand, has bi-xenon projectors AND H7 (or H1 - not sure) halogen high beam reflectors. In effect, that gives you four light sources when full beam is on (hence more light). The new Octavia will only have two.

Did this clearify any misunderstandings?

The dipped beam on my Mk2 FL is a halogen bulb with projector lens, but the basic option above shows both dipped and main beam with reflector lenses. In my (perhaps deluded) mind, a projector lens seems more elegantly designed or engineered, hence must be better! However, when looking at other cars, including much higher priced Audis etc., I was suprised at how many have dipped-beam reflector lenses (plus cap over the end of the bulb). Wonder if there's a particular reason to change the lenses here, or just production simplification.

The dipped beam on my Mk2 FL is a halogen bulb with projector lens, but the basic option above shows both dipped and main beam with reflector lenses. In my (perhaps deluded) mind, a projector lens seems more elegantly designed or engineered, hence must be better! However, when looking at other cars, including much higher priced Audis etc., I was suprised at how many have dipped-beam reflector lenses (plus cap over the end of the bulb). Wonder if there's a particular reason to change the lenses here, or just production simplification.

Most likely it's a matter of cost. A reflector is generally cheaper to manufacture than a lens.

Most likely it's a matter of cost. A reflector is generally cheaper to manufacture than a lens.

Sure, sounds likely. Just feels like a cheat to have (perceivably) down-rated components on a newer model.

Ok, what am I missing here... haven't the Scout and 4x4 Octavias always been available with a 1.8TSi engine? (or is it the fact this is a hatchback and not estate format thats appealing?)

BUT... as far as I know the 4x4-s will be as follows: 1,8TSI (132kw), 1,6TDI (77kw), 2,0TDI (110kw), and 2,0 (135kw). No 1,4TSI-s in the list.

Ok, what am I missing here... haven't the Scout and 4x4 Octavias always been available with a 1.8TSi engine? (or is it the fact this is a hatchback and not estate format thats appealing?)

Yes, the strange thing is 4x4 hatchback...it was avaiable only for a few years just as Octavia MK1...

Of course; bi-xenon means that you get both dipped and high beam from the same projector (light source). My point is, that with the new Octavia, the setup is identical with most Audis and VW's. In other words, it's just the xenon projectors that gives you the high beam. Both the Superb and Yeti, on the other hand, has bi-xenon projectors AND H7 (or H1 - not sure) halogen high beam reflectors. In effect, that gives you four light sources when full beam is on (hence more light). The new Octavia will only have two.

Did this clearify any misunderstandings?

Errr. No.

The Yeti has bixenons OR halogens. Not a mixture.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anyone who cannot see properly with 2 Xenon beams should not be driving!!

According to the parts catalogue the halogen bulbs on the Superb are 12v55w H3 as well as D1S 12v 35w Xenon units.

Edited by h5djr

according to the pictures they (low + high beam) are, powered by "2x High Power LED".

and with the DRLs, they're not LED anymore, like it is on the RS now. they're w5w bulbs to illuminate that thin strip inside (bottom) the headlight itself.

type 1 - halogen

low beam = reflector; h7 bulb

high beam = reflector; h15 bulb

high beam flash = same as high beam

Additional DRL = N/A

type 2: bi-xenon (top1)

low beam = projector; d3s bulb

high beam = projector; same as low beam utilising shutter

high beam flash = reflector; p21/5w bulb

Additional DRL = N/A

type 3: bi-xenon LED (top2)

low beam = projector; high power LED bulbs

high beam = projector;same as low beam utilising shutter

high beam flash = ???

Additional DRL = w5w bluevision bulb

Edited by JR RS

JR RS - I don't think that is quite right, although the diagrams aren't especially clear. The DRLs are either P21/5w bulbs or LEDs illuminating the white 'light pipe' at the bottom of the headlamp unit. The 5W Bluevision is a position light only, which is shown in the middle pic. A 5W bulb isnt bright enough to act at a DRL on its own.

There are some good images of the car under a sheet with the DRLs on and you'll see what I mean.

http://www.carsvw.com/2012/11/can-this-be-the-first-picture-of-skoda-octavia-3-shown-before-its-official-release/

Edited by London Les