Retrofit cruise control and MFA

Ollie 2013

Hi all,

I'm in the process of getting together all the information I need to retrofit cruise control and multi function analyser (MFA). I was wondering if anyone else has tried to do this and if so, how did you get along? On the other hand, if you're thinking of having this done then please feel free to ask me any information you might like to know. 

I'll be getting a garage to do it for me. 

Regards,

Ollie  :sun:

• Like 1

Cruise is the one option i wish i had, getting as i did a stock car. So very much like to hear more about this.

Yay! A customer...............lol

I was hoping some more people would be interested in this. May I ask what citigo and options you have? I'll do my best to advise you what you can do. 

White 5 door sport, no extras apart from spare wheel.

Ok,

Well it should have the ability to take cruise control then. Since, I believe that the spec is based straight on an Elegance (that's what I have). However, there is one way to check for sure. But it's a complete ball ache lol. You need to check the part number of your Body Control Module (BCM). This is the car's computer system. If it has one of the following codes then you're good to go!

1S0 937 087

1S0 937 088

1S0 937 089

1S0 937 090

Here is a picture of one, I'll show you where to find it in a moment:

BCM.jpg

Now comes the hard bit! To find this lovely piece of equipment, you need to get your head down near the pedals. Look up and to the right you should find a fuse box. The BCM is actually located directly above the fuse box! The only way to see it is to place a small mirror to the back side of the fuse box (near the "wall" of the driver's foot well) and shine a flash light up there. It's all a very tight squeeze. 

Anyways, if you find you have the right BCM then all you need is about £100 worth of parts and a garage willing to do it for you. It's not a complicated job but it may be time consuming (2-3 hours if labour). 

If you need any more info or help, get back to me  :happy:

• Like 1

I believe the Sport is based on the "ambition" specs. At least here in Norway. But checking the BCM part # should be a way of confirming if cruise control is possible to retro fit :-)

I believe this is a very popular modification in Denmark, and that some owners have had it done there. I'm thinking of retrofitting cruise control to my girlfriends Citigo Sport when it arrives, as it is not an option in Norway (on the Sport model).

• Like 1

I believe the Sport is based on the "ambition" specs. At least here in Norway. But checking the BCM part # should be a way of confirming if cruise control is possible to retro fit :-)

I believe this is a very popular modification in Denmark, and that some owners have had it done there. I'm thinking of retrofitting cruise control to my girlfriends Citigo Sport when it arrives, as it is not an option in Norway (on the Sport model).

Yes, indeed, checking the BCM is the most safe option to be sure! It's just rather tricky lol. You are correct to say that in Denmark alot of people have had this modification done already. When they do my cruise control and MFA I'm also going to get them to activate several other features too, since they will need to connect Vag.com to my BCM to activate cruise control on it anyways. 

I will check (getting the car tomorrow yay), but I do know that cruise is an option I could've had if I'd been willing to wait for a custom ordered car.

Exciting! Yes, you can have cruise control on any Citigo if factory ordered. The BCM needs to be the top level type to take the cruise control hardware. Only the elegance models (and maybe Sport if based on Elegance spec.) have the top level BCM as standard. If cruise control is ordered on any other trim Citigo then the BCM gets upgraded to take the cruise control. The BCM also gets upgraded to top level if any of the lesser spec Citigos (S, SE etc) get the sunroof or the Greentech economy  technoolgy. Complicated I know.............lol 

• 3 weeks later...

Just checked mine and its an 086

No cruise for me then :(

Tried with a mirror to look but no good

I found sliding your phone camera up the bulk head above the fuse box, on a delay timer with flash on and taking a pic was easier

Took me about 10 pics until I got a clear shot of the sticker but I saw it as a challenge

Not the news I wanted to hear, but I will just have to manage without cruise control

Cheers

Damo

Slightly off topic....cruise control?

Suppose living where I do and seeing the car as a get around town type car, cruise never entered my head, chances it would ever see a stretch of road long enough to warrant cruise for it. Got to go a fair way to find a road worthy of cruise.

So for those that are looking to add cruise is it an ASG?

As a manual seems to be forever up and down the box (4th/5th) at the first sign of an incline, just to maintain a reasonable speed with a few people in.

I get cruise on a motorway type car that spends all day up and down motorways.

For that reason, Im not overly upset I cant have it retrofitted tbh

Would have been nice for the odd time I go on a motorway, but Im like you, based mainly on roads that don't warrant it, so no big deal

Cheers

Damo

Even on the shortest journeys I've got used to using cruise all the time in my last 3 cars, flicking it off approaching junctions etc. 

In general driving I find the manual very flexible and can be put in 5th very quickly if you are so inclined - 3 to 5 is a regular for me. Hills do demand a change-down as the man says.

• 2 months later...

I'm assuming this thread is definitive on the issue - there seems to be new members coming on the forums every now and again claiming it can still be done, so I'm unsure. I take it this is the only route to getting cruise fitted...

I'm assuming this thread is definitive on the issue - there seems to be new members coming on the forums every now and again claiming it can still be done, so I'm unsure. I take it this is the only route to getting cruise fitted...

Theres more stuff over on the UP forums about it - along with links to a danish/german forum.

Im planning to investigate it further when i get mine.. 

Hi guys,

Sorry I've not been back on here in a while. ANYTHING can be retrofitted to a car with the right parts and determination/expertise. Assuming you have the right BCM as listed in the beginning of this post, then it is entirely possible. Aside from purchasing the right steering column parts (which aren't all that expensive really) you're just looking at about 3 hours labor time (and that's from someone who knows exactly what they're doing, so you can not expect any garage in the UK to do this in that time, it will be more for them). The reason I didn't go get it done is that there was actually alot more to it than I realized. The whole dash has to come off nearly to get access to the fire wall of the car and then you need to drill a hole through it and connect wires and stuff to the fuse box and some other engine part (which in turn requires you to take half the engine bay out!). It is a BIG job in terms of taking stuff apart and labor. It can be done, the parts are not much (about £100) but the killer is the labor charges involved. You're looking at several hundred pounds in labor, assuming you find a garage who is willing to give it all a go. It's likely to take them about 5 hours or more even and to get the exact instructions you'll need to go over to the UP site to look at the info on one of their forums. 

All in all, unless u get the guys who do this for a living now over in Denmark to do it, it's probs not worth the hassle or cost.