1.6 CR TDI 105 bhp engine judder when in 4th at 30 mph

Hi

I have a six months old, Fabia Elegance Estate 1.6 CR TDI 105 bhp having done 10,000 miles.

My problem is that, sometimes when driving in 4th gear going at 30 or slightly more miles per hour the engine hesitates, when hot or cold, to accelerate.

I remember reading on this forum that it is due to engine injection software and the dealer can re-program the ECU do cure this.

I would appreciate any help because the car is going into the dealers on Monday for this and other problems.

Thanks.

Do you mean it lurches before accelerating?

Mine quite happily accelerates from 30 in 4th (albeit slowly), but it has a bit of a lurch before doing so. It does the same thing in 5th at motorway speeds if you let off the power and then get back on it. There's a hesitation/pause before the whole car has a bit of a shudder and then accelerates.

I suspect (having read someone describing similar problems in the Rapid section of this site) that it's a software thing, and I've asked the dealers to check if there's an ECU update available for my car when it goes in later this week for some warranty work.

Perhaps worth asking your dealers the same?

'Skoda National Pricing' for Minor & Major Servicing now show that the car has a Diagnostic Check & Report & any Upgrades done.

Used to be done at Major Services, or should have been.

So Diagnostic, upgrade & Road tested. 'Vehicle & software enhancements'.

They maybe just forgot to tell some Workshops & some of the technicians not called Barry.

http://www.skoda.co.uk/owners/service-and-maintenance/national-pricing/servicing

EDIT,

'Diagnostic' is no longer showing, but a full vehicle check is not being done if not having the Diagnostics checked.

Any Software Enhancements means it needs plugged in, checked and Updates done.

**Variable servicing Regime may not include all,

it says here, this applies to 'Fixed Servicing Regime'.

• Like 1

Diesel Estate,

Congrats on having a superb car. Enjoy!

On the bit about the juddering at 30mph in 4th gear...I'm not surprised that happens. It's too slow for a modern shorter stroke diesel like the Cr1.6. It has an almost square stroke to bore size, sorry tech term, but means the piston speed is very slow at any given revs compared to a longer stroke engine. The 1.6 cr therefore likes to rev more that older type diesels. It's not efficient at low revs like that. It causes the egr to become sluggish as it soots up. The dpf will also soot up more quickly using very low revs like that. In turn it will lead to using more fuel, more regens and generally a more sluggish engine. Don't pay any attention to the 'economy' light on the dash telling you to change up early. It doesn't work too well we've found and encourages owners to 'plonk' the engine around at too lower revs. Bad for the engine. Keep posting to let us all know how you are getting on.

Would suggest your problem will almost certainly improve and go away if you use more revs, use 3 gear a bit more in town/urban situations. Don't be afraid to take it for a blast with plenty of throttle and revs. It's essential on all modern diesels to keep them running properly. You'll notice an improvement in fuel economy if you do this periodically. And don't worry, you cannot hurt a diesel. Merry Xmas!

Edited by Estate Man
  • Like 2

. And don't worry, you cannot hurt a diesel. Merry Xmas!

I bet putting it in 2nd gear at 70mph won't do it any favours though ;)

In all seriousness, modern diesels don't like being driven like the old school ones I've found (not just VAG) - they need to be revved like a petrol, including taking off from a standstill I've found - they no longer like to take up drive at tickover.

The gearchange recommendations are there for the emissions testing cycle as much as anything and like Estate Man, they really don't like labouring at low revs nowadays.  Long gone are the days where you used to drive everywhere at under 1500rpm with diesels.  I think it's especially noticeable as I think all diesels have turbos now - and the efficiency falls off when you're at too low revs for the turbo to be doing its stuff.

• Like 3

• 8 months later...

Thanks Gentlemen

Estate Man you are right, the dealer stated no fault as the early ones had a software update to cure this problem but the problem has almost disappeared having done 25K in 14 months.

Regards

Diesel Estate 

Same here - juddering disappeared after about 5k miles.

Also realised (thanks to estate man) that it's an engine that wants revving...

Oh - and I didn't get or need a software update to make the lurch/judder go away. Was just part of running in.

• 5 months later...

Thanks all for your input but the car is purfect when driven in afternoons strange, also sometimes when you start from cold revs hunt from 400 - 1000.

Yesterday and today drove 100 yards down road popped into 2rd gear and juddering was there and revs only 2500 foot to floor. had to drive in first gear unless you go for it  which is a bit hard in a 30 limit, it seems to missfire "Lumpy" on one injector thats what i think, if you keep driving smoke everywhere pull over and sit for 10 mins i can go again.

Garage has had car But no fault they say. Oh they did change Exaust Temp Sensor.

Sorry TVMan - but you have slightly confused us all by arriving in someone elses thread. (That effectively finished in August 2014) Did you mean to start a new thread??

Your problem is completely different to that considered in that post started by the OP. Very obviously you need urgent attention, and need to get back into your dealer/supplier to get this sorted.

From your description, I would think that any skoda dealer should be able to home in on the problem without too much difficulty.

Perhaps you can let us know if you have any warning lights displayed on the dash when these problems arise. Mileage of the car would be appreciated also

• Like 1