Roof rail end caps

fedup

I haven't lost them yet, by accident or design, and by the lack of mention (as far as my searches in this forum went) it appears they stay put, but I am concerned about the ease at which the end caps can be removed from the roof rails (NOT the roof bars - the factory fitted rails). Then when replaced the fit is far from ideal which gave the impression that it was not correctly fitted but checking with all the others it appears to match their lack of fit. A dab of super glue would overcome the problem but the law of the sod might well intervene with the need to get to the rail bolts (although I cannot foresee such a circumstance).

Wondered whether anyone with a little more experience compared with my meagre 4 months worth has any advice.

Had the same worries as you after reading the issues others were having. I removed them (very easily BTW), and stuck some double sided 1/4" trim tape trim (£5 from Halfords), in several places. Seems to have made them much more stronger, as cannot prize off readily, although if needed to remove, would not be an issue.

Super Glue - NO!

• Like 1

Had the same worries as you after reading the issues others were having. I removed them (very easily BTW), and stuck some double sided 1/4" trim tape trim (£5 from Halfords), in several places. Seems to have made them much more stronger, as cannot prize off readily, although if needed to remove, would not be an issue.

Super Glue - NO!

Many thanks will get to it with tape today, super glue will stay in the fridge!

I should have looked harder - thank you for these links makes me feel more than justified in having concerns - will do something about it right now.

• 1 month later...

The rear driver rail trim fell off on Saturday, I was driving at approx 60 MPH on the motorway and the driver behind me swerved violently as he saw this "missile" coming towards him. Luckily no damage was done but this could have resulted in a dangerous situation. 

This is the second time the same piece of trim has come loose and fallen off. I will be taking this up with Skoda (UK) as well as my local dealer.

Fairly lucky with my Yeti ownership as neither of our examples lost an end cap; although the last one came close to loosing a roof trim strip (dealer fit accessory). One bonus with the Octy it doesn't have end caps for the rails but they will only take 75kg mind.

TP

I had the (2) rear end caps replaced in March 2013, under warranty, on my Yeti Urban bought new in August 2012 (see the post 2801681 above)

At that time, the replacements were rock solid.

About a month ago I noticed they were loose again, easily removed with one hand.(the barbed clips seemed to have lost their rigidity)                                  

The same dealer - Lightcliffe Skoda Warrington - replaced them again at no cost & no hassle; rock solid for now, but I must check them again before the warranty runs out next year!!   The front ones have never been a problem. 

Don't mess about with glue & tape, it's a known fault, so take it back to Skoda.

At the same time I had the 'white wormed' wheel centre discs replaced FOC with the new FL black & chrome version which look perfect on the black & silver Matterhorn wheels.

Edited by Liobian

• 3 weeks later...

Heard from Skoda Customer Service and the Dealer also called me. There is a new Technical Bulletin about this problem; there is a "special" glue which the dealer must use to stick the end caps on with. They need the car for for 5 hours because once applied the car must not be driven for 4 hours while the glue cures. Trying to get them to come to my home and do it here so the car can sit overnight in my garage to save me being without the car for a day.

Dealer - Rainworth Skoda - came to my home on Monday evening to fit the new end cap with the adhesive system from Skoda. They said that as the car had to sit for some hours after the glue was applied it would be more convenient for me to do it at my home where it could sit overnight.

THAT is great customer service.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

To add to the stats, last week I also lost a front right end cap, somewhere on a short 4 mile motorway journey.  On checking, the two rear caps were also loose (definite click heard on giving them a thump). If these things are so prone to becoming dislodged, why are they not secured better e.g. with a little grub screw or similar.  In future, next time I find myself behind a Yeti on the motorway, I think I'll leave a little extra distance to give me more time to avoid the bits of trim falling off.... :notme:

After some initial reluctance (and after I pointed them to threads on here) the dealer agreed to make a claim under warranty, thank you Briskoda.

• 8 months later...

Last week I was cleaning the roof with a water hose brush, and accidentally caught one of the rear roof rail covers and it fell to the ground.

It was the lightest of touches, so now I have fitted a black cable tie at the front edge and pushed it back as far as it will go.

Pending some other more cosmetically acceptable method, maybe black silicone...

I could have tied string to it, but then it would have been thrown about scratching the paintwork.

What a bodge... the car is brand new....

Last week I was cleaning the roof with a water hose brush, and accidentally caught one of the rear roof rail covers and it fell to the ground.

It was the lightest of touches, so now I have fitted a black cable tie at the front edge and pushed it back as far as it will go.

Pending some other more cosmetically acceptable method, maybe black silicone...

I could have tied string to it, but then it would have been thrown about scratching the paintwork.

What a bodge... the car is brand new....

Take it to the Dealer. I had this problem twice and eventually the dealer contacted Skoda who have a solution for the problem. Not sure what that is but since it was effected I haven't had any further problems.

Fred,

I think you know the way to go by now.......................................

:notme:

I'll hobble along then. :ninja:

Fred

• Like 1

The Skoda fix for the end caps is to glue them on. 

Doesn't really matter what the "fix" is as long as Skoda do it foc and with apologies and 2 phone calls from Customer Service to check everything was okay. Also got the car washed and cleaned twice as well!