Squeaky Instrument Panel

Smokeyjoe

My new Elegance FL is just 4 weeks old, has done 600 miles and has developed a rattle / squeak from the instrument panel which is quite annoying. The squeak stops if I grip the speedometer binacle at about the 2 oclock position. The binacles do seem a bit loose in that you can move them both slightly.

I tried searching the forum to see if anybody else has had this problem and found a fix but couldn't see anything that seemed the same. It seems a pernickety thing to take it back to the dealer for, but the first service is not for 11 months. ot sure I can put up with it till then.

Any suggestions?

Dave

Totally agree - you paid for a new car you should expect it to behave like a new car - squeaks and rattles can be not only annoying but also distracting. Get them to sort it, it would be soul destroying if the distraction causes a far worse scenario for the car but more importantly for you and yours.

Had these in Yeti#1, especially on cold mornings. Goes away when the interior is warm.

Haven't been in yeti#2 long enough to notice....

Did you find a fix on Yeti #1 or just put up with it?

Mine seems fine when first heading out, but starts rattling after a few miles

Dave

Had these in Yeti#1, especially on cold mornings. Goes away when the interior is warm.

Haven't been in yeti#2 long enough to notice....

Exactly my experience but I had ordered reverse sensors retro-fitted and wondered if they had to disturb the dash during the fitting.

If I grab the 'brow' it seems almost loose but the heat fixes it eventually.

• Like 1

Had similar on mine, just when it's cold outside. On the move, I wedged my fingertip between the side of the dash and the top of the door panel (behind the A post), squeak went. So, I fixed a piece of thin black foam (loudspeaker front foam to be exact) with double sided tape on the side of the dash, between the dash and the door card; squeak has gone. Easily removed if need be but I cut the piece to fit and it is in no way unsightly. Maybe one should expect better on a new car, but that's the way it is - rather that than a trip to the stealers and a dash strip down in my opinion.

• Like 3

I've had the odd, intermittent squeak from the instrument binnacles on all 3 TIBETs. Does seem to be temperature sensitive and as I say, very intermittent.

Don't like it doing it but wouldn't want the dash stripping down to try and sort it - all these plastic bits are designed to clip together and not to clip apart so you may end up with more problems than you started with....

• Like 2

My Yeti #2 does it, #1 did not. It went back to the dealer twice; the first time they forgot to look at it (but claimed it was a bigger job and they needed the car for two days to remove and refit the dash), the second time they phoned after about an hour with the revelation that it was the chrome ring around the speedo - I'd told them that was what it was - and they'd fixed it with some sticky-back felt. It still does it and I don't see the point in going back for a third attempt as they're clearly incompetent and dishonest. It's put me off getting a third Yeti.

• Like 1

It's most likely a differential thermal expansion problem with the chrome rings - the are brittle and thin, giving a high frequency vibration. There is no need for them, but the foam seems a good idea (if not obtrusive on the eye !)

• Like 1

If you can get them off smear the insides with graphite grease.....only a little though

Graphite grease acts as a rubbing compound. Better to use silicone grease which is a lubricant.

• Like 1

Graphite grease acts as a rubbing compound. Better to use silicone grease which is a lubricant.

Good point.....I was thinking of the advantage of the grease being dense and so likely to 'damp' better

I will now google silicone grease.....

My Yeti #2 does it, #1 did not. It went back to the dealer twice; the first time they forgot to look at it (but claimed it was a bigger job and they needed the car for two days to remove and refit the dash), the second time they phoned after about an hour with the revelation that it was the chrome ring around the speedo - I'd told them that was what it was - and they'd fixed it with some sticky-back felt. It still does it and I don't see the point in going back for a third attempt as they're clearly incompetent and dishonest. It's put me off getting a third Yeti.

These days, from my perspective, car dash rattles have been sorted for years and this simply shouldn't happen nowadays.

Indeed - but if they'd taken it seriously and fixed it I wouldn't be so irked. Its really that the first time they didn't even look - its half an hour there, half an hour back so that was two hours of my time they squandered without apology. They didn't even have the decency to admit they'd not looked.

What really struck me about it was that my dear old mum's 10-year old Focus was less rattly than my 1-year old Yeti. And the Yeti cost twice as much.

Indeed - but if they'd taken it seriously and fixed it I wouldn't be so irked. Its really that the first time they didn't even look - its half an hour there, half an hour back so that was two hours of my time they squandered without apology. They didn't even have the decency to admit they'd not looked.

What really struck me about it was that my dear old mum's 10-year old Focus was less rattly than my 1-year old Yeti. And the Yeti cost twice as much.

I just know that if I complain of rattles etc nothing will be done about it........at least that's my experience.

OK! This might sound daft, but I folded a toilet roll tube flat and wedged it between the speedo binacle and the facia surround and the squeak has stopped - so far!!

Now I am not going to leave it like that as it looks silly, but I want to find what the fix will be before I do a more permanent job.

It would be interesting to know if anybody else with this problem can get the same result with a similar cardboard wedge.

I will update this in a couple of days of further testing.

Dave

Found this thread when planning to start one concerning my Yeti's dashboard creaks, which are probably not the same noise.  3-year warranty ends next month, so I've redoubled efforts to get it fixed (earlier tries by two dealers fixed it temporarily at best).  Latest try involved replacing entire dash panel on warranty, another fail.  Service manager drove his own Yeti on same perished road surfaces as show it badly on my car and said his did it too but much less than mine.  He says he agrees with me that the noise is unacceptable. He says he'll ask Skoda technical for advice and if nothing comes of that he'll push a bid to Customer Services for a favorable deal on a new car.   I hadn't planned to change as soon as 3 years but am inclined to accept if I can get a good enough deal, and some assurance that it won't be as bad on the next Yeti.   So I'd really like to know from this forum how many Yetis have dashboard noises.  Mine is an intermittent creak, worse when cold, associated with rough tarmac (rather than potholes).  It's OK on smooth roads.  Anyone got relevant experience, please?  If it's commonplace I might not bother to change for another Yeti even at a good price.

Edited by davidashapirouk

Found this thread when planning to start one concerning my Yeti's dashboard creaks, which are probably not the same noise.  3-year warranty ends next month, so I've redoubled efforts to get it fixed (earlier tries by two dealers fixed it temporarily at best).  Latest try involved replacing entire dash panel on warranty, another fail.  Service manager drove his own Yeti on same perished road surfaces as show it badly on my car and said his did it too but much less than mine.  He says he agrees with me that the noise is unacceptable. He says he'll ask Skoda technical for advice and if nothing comes of that he'll push a bid to Customer Services for a favorable deal on a new car.   I hadn't planned to change as soon as 3 years but am inclined to accept if I can get a good enough deal, and some assurance that it won't be as bad on the next Yeti.   So I'd really like to know from this forum how many Yetis have dashboard noises.  Mine is an intermittent creak, worse when cold, associated with rough tarmac (rather than potholes).  It's OK on smooth roads.  Anyone got relevant experience, please?  If it's commonplace I might not bother to change for another Yeti even at a good price.

Sounds very similar to my noises. Very frustrating!!!

So far the cardboard wedge in the gap between the speedo binacle and the main facia surround seems to have stopped the noises, but I am not going to say its fixed it for a few days yet. Why not give it a go on yours?

Dave

I fixed mine by spraying (with a 'straw') CRC silicon down that tight left hand edge btw the tacho and the cowl plus, for good measure, the the edge of the plexi glass faces.

Silent now thank goodness.

The instrument panel on #1 squeaked as did the warranty replacement panel.

The instrument panel on #2 squeaks also, so I think the next step is to get enthusiastic with the silicone spray

The instrument panel on #1 squeaked as did the warranty replacement panel.

The instrument panel on #2 squeaks also, so I think the next step is to get enthusiastic with the silicone spray

Let's know how it goes, mines perfect now.