Weird noise

Has anyone any idea what the noise may be coming from the car when going through the gears from 1st to 3rd. It sounds a bit like a sword being drawn from a sheath, like metal scraping on metal?? When it happens there is also a slight holding back for half a second?

Any ideas guys?

Is it when you CHANGE gear - i.e. at the point when you lift off the throttle in order to push down the clutch?

If it is - I would imagine all you are hearing is the turbo re-circulating dump valve opening and bleeding off the boost back into the intake system...that sounds a bit like what you describe.

In which case, it is normal for this model Sir :D

• Like 1

Is it when you CHANGE gear - i.e. at the point when you lift off the throttle in order to push down the clutch?

If it is - I would imagine all you are hearing is the turbo re-circulating dump valve opening and bleeding off the boost back into the intake system...that sounds a bit like what you describe.

In which case, it is normal for this model Sir :D

What ...on 1.9 tdi ??

Its not when changing gear, but seems to happen in 3rd on the way up to forth? There is a slight holding back like as though the fuel has stopped coming through the injectors for half a second? Or as Mike Brewer would say- a little bit lumpy?

Thanks everyone.