DPF question

Right, so having got a Scout, I've also got a DPF. No particularly upsetting as I do 45 miles each way (40 of which are motorway) every day, so I'm assuming that I really should never see the DPF light come one.

How will I know when the car is doing a regen?

I've only noticed the regen on the Scout a handfull of times, surprising as It can get several short runs in a row.

The acceleration was slightly jerky and the exhaust note was a bit deeper.

I've never had the DPF light on.

Keep an eye out for rising oil levels.

Mark

When doing a regen, there will be a burning smell coming from near the back wheels, drivers side; at least on mine it does. The exhaust also 'pings'. I've owned my Scout for just under 4 years and am only aware of approximately half a dozen regens in that time, mostly due to the smell!

Be aware, long journeys on the motorway might not meet the requirements for the efficient running of the DPF either. The exhaust needs to be at a certain temperature to burn off the soot. Just make sure you occasionally drive for about 10-15 minutes in a gear lower than you should, that way you keep the revs at over 2k.

Fin

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Deeper exhaust note, MUCH faster turbo spool up when revving from idle (both super obvious if you have upgraded intake/exhaust but still noticable if not, especially from outside the car), 950rpm idle vs 750rpm and *slightly* quicker accelleration :)

If you do some highway k's it should keep the DPF nice and clean. Flooring it a bit (drag race off the lights anyone?) once or twice a week will also help a little.