ESC stabilisation control/stop start error

Hi guys

I got this message on the maxidot this evening after I started the engine as normal:

ESC stabilisation control. I then got another message - 'stop start error'.

The tyre pressure light also came on. I turned the engine on and off a few times and eventually drove a while. The pressure light and ESC stayed on for a while and then after 10 minutes driving they all switched off!

The car didn't do into safe mode or anything like that. Very strange, anyone come across this. Found a few refs on a VW forum but nothing definitive. BTW I only had it serviced yesterday and tyres were switched which explained monitor light but not the EsC. I might take it back on Monday just in case

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It almost sounds like the errors that you get after disconnecting the battery. Might be worth checking that the terminals are secure.

That is what I had after my battery went flat as well. Therefore a similar event as disconnecting the battery.

Took it back to the dealer this morning after getting more messages about tyre pressures and stop start over the weekend.  Nothing showed on the diagnostics however and they just reported it back to Skoda.  I'll see what happens and if it occurs again.  No issues with battery disconnection either.  A bit strange really

• 1 month later...

I've just returned from a road trip around the UK and another trip to the dealer this morning!

Stop/start system stopped working last week and I'm getting 'stop/start error' on the maxidot again. Manual switching via the SS button has no impact and just returns an error. Scan done at dealers and report gone to Skoda again. It did show an error. the switch was swapped out last time but they are not sure if this is connected or not. They haven't seen it on any FL models. A few more visits required to the garage no doubt, but starting to get a bit p****d off now!!

BTW had a great trip around Wales / England.....some great roads and visited some lovely places!

• 2 years later...

Hi Superb170. Just had the same issue with my Octavia Mk III. Do you get this solved, and if so, how?

Thanks, Chris!

Hi Chris, yes, got it sorted although that was a while ago now. It was a faulty sensor that had to be replaced from what I remember. Wasn't a major job and covered under warranty of course.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

Do you remember the name of the sensor that was replaced? I'm having the same or similar problem on my Superb. The only thing is when the ESC message shows up, I have to coast the car over to left lane or hard shoulder, switch off the ignition and start the engine again then the message clears up. The reason for coasting is my Superb has got the DSG gearbox so when the message appears the gears go into limp mode. This happens occasionally,like every other week or so. I go through this process two or three times within the space of 10 minutes and then once I park for a few minutes, lock and re-open the car using my keyfob, it clears up. Sometimes, I get a warning that it's coming when I'm driving then all of a sudden the gear box will display a "D", behave as if it's in neutral and it immediately returns to to gear it was in previously. If any else has had this issue please let me know how to fix this. I suspect it's a sensor that needs to be replaced though.

Hello,

Do you remember the name of the sensor that was replaced? I'm having the same or similar problem on my Superb. The only thing is when the ESC message shows up, I have to coast the car over to left lane or hard shoulder, switch off the ignition and start the engine again then the message clears up. The reason for coasting is my Superb has got the DSG gearbox so when the message appears the gears go into limp mode. This happens occasionally,like every other week or so. I go through this process two or three times within the space of 10 minutes and then once I park for a few minutes, lock and re-open the car using my keyfob, it clears up. Sometimes, I get a warning that it's coming when I'm driving then all of a sudden the gear box will display a "D", behave as if it's in neutral and it immediately returns to to gear it was in previously. If any else has had this issue please let me know how to fix this. I suspect it's a sensor that needs to be replaced though.

Sorry, I can't remember which one it was - I'll have a look at the dealer worksheet from that time to see if it is listed.  I did get this message more recently actually, switched the car on and off and it never happened since so not sure what caused that particular incidence.  Mine is manual so I didn't experience the more dramatic issue you had with your DSG.

Had a quick look but couldn't see anything more than 'sensor' listed on the sheet, sorry I can't be any more specific. They did change the ignition switch at one stage as you probably saw above but that didn't solve it - they traced it to sensor afterwards.

• 5 months later...

Hi guys,

I've been getting these 3 error messages everytime I start my car [Skoda Octavia III A7 (2013 model)] from rest (mostly in the morning or in the evening after office).

'Faulty Gearbox', followed by 'ESC error', followed by 'Tyre pressure check'. After I turn the engine on and off a couple of times, the 'Faulty gearbox' and 'ESC error' sign disappear, but the tyre pressure light stays on for a while; and then it gets switched off after I drive for 4-5 minutes. Initially I thought it was a software glitch, but now it has been happening regularly. 

Has anyone else come across this? Plz suggest.

2 minutes ago, puneetsewra said:

Hi guys,

I've been getting these 3 error messages everytime I start my car [Skoda Octavia III A7 (2013 model)] from rest (mostly in the morning or in the evening after office).

'Faulty Gearbox', followed by 'ESC error', followed by 'Tyre pressure check'. After I turn the engine on and off a couple of times, the 'Faulty gearbox' and 'ESC error' sign disappear, but the tyre pressure light stays on for a while; and then it gets switched off after I drive for 4-5 minutes. Initially I thought it was a software glitch, but now it has been happening regularly. 

Has anyone else come across this? Plz suggest.

Get a VCDS autoscan done and try the Octavia MK III section rather than the Superb MK II section ;)

1 hour ago, langers2k said:

Get a VCDS autoscan done and try the Octavia MK III section rather than the Superb MK II section ;)

Rookie mistake :blush:, didn't realize there are specific sections. Thanks for letting me know. cheers!

• 1 year later...

Getting same lights on dash of car Engine Management Unit with yellow coil spring and car with skuds under it . Was told it the . Engine management air intake unit . Also error stop start . Plugged into diagnostics and only fault coming up is the air sensor. Anyone same problems